Pick and Roll

• 14 replies

hnk

Pick and Roll
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:22:29 PM »
Has anyone noticed CO is doing a much better job of screening for the guards and wings and rolling to the basket after......the guards really need to work on giving him the ball as he rolls to the hoop.

This could give us three or four easy hoops a game.

The guards seem to almost have it down to pass him the ball when they penetrate and get double teamed leaving CO open for easy dunks.

Re: Pick and Roll
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 02:32:54 PM »
i would love to see the pick and roll with a lob to Obekpa

hnk

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:04:41 AM »
Exactly right....they need to run a few plays to get CO the ball down low for easy baskets on switches.....he was open a few times rolling on switches, but they repeatedly missed him in LIU game.   They are not looking for him.   Pointer did make one great pass which CO converted for an easy bucket in second half of second half.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
Exactly right....they need to run a few plays to get CO the ball down low for easy baskets on switches.....he was open a few times rolling on switches, but they repeatedly missed him in LIU game.   They are not looking for him.   Pointer did make one great pass which CO converted for an easy bucket in second half of second half.

It's difficult to get him the ball on the roll.  Teams are overplaying him big time.  In the post he has been getting fronted and there has been weak side help waiting to double him as soon as he gets the ball.  We need that guy on our team who is in that corner to atleast be a threat to score.  Jamal and Dom kept getting that ball in the corner and don't even look to shoot.  I know neither is a great shooter but if they aren't a threat to even shoot Obekpa will never get the ball. 

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »

It's difficult to get him the ball on the roll.  Teams are overplaying him big time.  In the post he has been getting fronted and there has been weak side help waiting to double him as soon as he gets the ball.  We need that guy on our team who is in that corner to atleast be a threat to score.  Jamal and Dom kept getting that ball in the corner and don't even look to shoot.  I know neither is a great shooter but if they aren't a threat to even shoot Obekpa will never get the ball. 

If this is the case, have Harrison make the entry pass from the wing.  His defender is not going to help off of him.  Then have Dom ready to flash to the paint from the weak side for a drop pass or putback opportunity. 

Moose

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »

If this is the case, have Harrison make the entry pass from the wing.  His defender is not going to help off of him.  Then have Dom ready to flash to the paint from the weak side for a drop pass or putback opportunity. 

Fire Rico
Hire Weatherman
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »

Fire Rico
Hire Weatherman

+1 :)

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »

Dom was the guy on the weak side a lot but he is just standing in the corner.  If he cuts the ball handler won't be able to get him the pass.  They put Stewart in the corner and he missed his first look but canned the second.  That spot has to be a shooter who is ready to launch.  Now that I think about it, Harrison might be a great guy to put there because I'm sure his guy won't be sagging off of him too much. 

We often ran the pick and roll with Greene and Obekpa which I think is dreadful.  Phil will never attack the rim hard and he loves to settle for that long 2 (first basket of game if I recall correctly).  I liked the pick and roll with Jordan and Obekpa and hopefully they can get some chemistry going.  Branch had 2 nice hesitation dribbles and scored on both with his left on the same play.  He has to stay aggressive when out there and look to score. 

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 02:18:57 PM »

Dom was the guy on the weak side a lot but he is just standing in the corner.  If he cuts the ball handler won't be able to get him the pass.  They put Stewart in the corner and he missed his first look but canned the second.  That spot has to be a shooter who is ready to launch.  Now that I think about it, Harrison might be a great guy to put there because I'm sure his guy won't be sagging off of him too much. 

We often ran the pick and roll with Greene and Obekpa which I think is dreadful.  Phil will never attack the rim hard and he loves to settle for that long 2 (first basket of game if I recall correctly).  I liked the pick and roll with Jordan and Obekpa and hopefully they can get some chemistry going.  Branch had 2 nice hesitation dribbles and scored on both with his left on the same play.  He has to stay aggressive when out there and look to score. 

Agree 100% re Phil and the pick and roll
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 06:16:16 PM »
Has anyone noticed CO is doing a much better job of screening for the guards and wings and rolling to the basket after......the guards really need to work on giving him the ball as he rolls to the hoop.

The guards seem to almost have it down to pass him the ball when they penetrate and get double teamed leaving CO open for easy dunks.

The pick and roll is clearly going to be a point of emphasis this season.  Branch is actually our best executing (Jordan probably the worst).  As a team we are terrible at getting the ball to the bigs off the roll and basic entry passes.  They seem to be trying much more this year already, though.  Obekpa needs to get plenty of touches on those rolls, because he is a very good athlete that will only get better.  Dom is also a good option here with his athletic ability. 

I don't mind Greene.  He has attacked the basket a little better thus far.  I don't want him settling for those deep two's.  I'd rather him go in and jump stop for a midrange or do his floater that will draw the D.  Harrison always goes away from the screen...Jordan doesn't like it either.  Jones is a good option as a screener to because of his wide body and smooth jumper.

I think Branch is a better shooter than we've seen.  His form is solid.  I noticed him moving his feet a lot on his attempts this year.  When he's set, he's good. 

One thing we cannot afford is for Obekpa to pickup any fouls on the offensive end.  He needs to be disciplined.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »

The pick and roll is clearly going to be a point of emphasis this season.  Branch is actually our best executing (Jordan probably the worst).  As a team we are terrible at getting the ball to the bigs off the roll and basic entry passes.  They seem to be trying much more this year already, though.  Obekpa needs to get plenty of touches on those rolls, because he is a very good athlete that will only get better.  Dom is also a good option here with his athletic ability. 

I don't mind Greene.  He has attacked the basket a little better thus far.  I don't want him settling for those deep two's.  I'd rather him go in and jump stop for a midrange or do his floater that will draw the D.  Harrison always goes away from the screen...Jordan doesn't like it either.  Jones is a good option as a screener to because of his wide body and smooth jumper.

I think Branch is a better shooter than we've seen.  His form is solid.  I noticed him moving his feet a lot on his attempts this year.  When he's set, he's good. 

One thing we cannot afford is for Obekpa to pickup any fouls on the offensive end.  He needs to be disciplined.

Im the biggest Branch fan out there but he absolutely needs to start pulling the trigger on wide open threes off of a good pass.  Can't afford to let the defense just sit back and never have to scramble. Thats whats worst about our defense. We are always in scramble mode. It starts with keeping your man in front of you.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »

Im the biggest Branch fan out there but he absolutely needs to start pulling the trigger on wide open threes off of a good pass.  Can't afford to let the defense just sit back and never have to scramble. Thats whats worst about our defense. We are always in scramble mode. It starts with keeping your man in front of you.

I completely agree.  A set shot or a drive by Branch is always a good possession in my book.  He is just too damn relaxed out there.   Hopefully Jordan can rub off on him. 

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 09:56:53 PM »
anybody here been watching the games CO has problems catching the ball on the move as well as keeping his feet straight when on the move to the basket

desco80

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 11:16:40 PM »
Absolutely right Marillc, as a whole this team needs to emphasize getting the ball back to the big on his cut to the hoop.   

hnk

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 09:02:53 AM »
Not complaining, but I still don't understand that our guards NEVER, EVER pass back to the screener on the pick and roll.  If the issue is Chris finishing, they never pass back when it's someone else rolling.

We need more of an inside game besides runouts if we are going to finish strongly...relying on outside shooting is problematic. It's not too often we're going to be plus high thirties from three.