Can we beat Duke?

• 31 replies
Can we beat Duke?
« on: December 04, 2014, 11:13:04 AM »
I know it's a while out, but I think they'll give this team a lot of problems (not a hot take, I know).  They really dominated wisconsin in their building, more than the score shows.  They are so efficient on offense it's scary.  They put themselves in a position to take really good shots.  I think st. John's is a completely different team than wisconsin and our defenders could give duke fits if we play man and play physical and stay in everyone's face.  To win this game it will take a little home cooking from the refs at msg.

Also of note, both bo ryan and coach k called timeouts after big 3s by their own teams (I'd never really watched for this before), i think coach k did this twice actually
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:12:57 PM by Dave »

Re: Duke
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 11:19:02 AM »
A lot of coaches call TO's after made baskets.  I don't understand the reason but I know that it is not unique to Lavin.

desco80

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:34:04 PM »
Duke is very very good.   Everyone talks about all the talent on Kentucky, but Duke is right behind them with 9 mcdonalds all-americans on their roster.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:35:09 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
Duke is very very good.   Everyone talks about all the talent on Kentucky, but Duke is right behind them with 9 mcdonalds all-americans on their roster.

It's amazing how Coach K can get all these studs to still buy in and play team basketball. IMO, Duke is the best team in the country. They looked unbeatable last night.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 01:26:01 PM »

It's amazing how Coach K can get all these studs to still buy in and play team basketball. IMO, Duke is the best team in the country. They looked unbeatable last night.
Have enough talent on the perimeter.  they need to watch if Okafor gets in foul trouble, as only Amile J is solid down low.

Wods317

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »
Having watched Duke play a few times this year I can't say I agree that we will give them problems. This Duke team is different then ones in the past. A lot of old school Duke teams had very heady players who all weren't necessarily top tier athletes but played so well as a team. We could take advantage of those teams on occassion with our defense, speed and athleticism. This year Duke is loaded with athletes who also happened to tremendous players. Anything can happen but I don't see us winning this game. I think every game from here on out we have a good shot at winning except this one.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »
Also of note, both bo ryan and coach k called timeouts after big 3s by their own teams (I'd never really watched for this before), i think coach k did this twice actually

According to the ESPN play by play DoOk's three TOs all came after Wisconsin baskets. Wisconsin took one TO after their own made three, presumably to stop the clock down 6 with 2 minutes to go.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=400587822

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:12:04 PM »
30 point loss. Okafor is a going to kill it

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 09:02:17 AM »
This is my favorite Duke team in a while.  The freshmen are so talented and have all bought into team basketball and play w so much poise.  Cook has willingly taken a back seat at pg and converted himself into a dangerous 2.  If sulaomon keeps a good attitude and gets some burn from the bench, that's a huge plus.  I think they are the best team in the country.
"I drink and I know things"

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 10:15:34 AM »
This is my favorite Duke team in a while. The freshmen are so talented and have all bought into team basketball and play w so much poise. Cook has willingly taken a back seat at pg and converted himself into a dangerous 2. If sulaomon keeps a good attitude and gets some burn from the bench, that's a huge plus. I think they are the best team in the country.
Their lack of inside depth may make them vulnerable to Ky., but agree this is one of better Duke teams in some time. The post kid is so fundamentally sound for a freshman. They have all the pieces for sure. A year ago Duke loses to Mercer in NCAA T. An infusion of talented newcomers mixed in with solid returnees turned that around quickly.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 02:51:21 PM »
Wonder if they are discussing SJU on the Duke boards already.  :-\ ??? ;) ::) :)

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 09:46:19 PM »
UConn's Brimah has barely played with foul trouble tonight. Okafor is gonna be a problem for Obekpa and I hope he can handle it after the Gonzaga game. Need him on the floor.

paultzman

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:11:04 PM »
UConn's Brimah has barely played with foul trouble tonight. Okafor is gonna be a problem for Obekpa and I hope he can handle it after the Gonzaga game. Need him on the floor.
Joey DelaRosa :)

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »
We should have a good chance in the Duke game because Coach K is too stubborn to zone us and will extend his guards far enough to play into the hands of our guards.  He'd be better served packing it in and trying to turn us into a one-dimensional team.

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 10:26:14 AM »
We should have a good chance in the Duke game because Coach K is too stubborn to zone us and will extend his guards far enough to play into the hands of our guards.  He'd be better served packing it in and trying to turn us into a one-dimensional team.

Bingo.  His stubbornness re anti-zone has been the most frustrating aspect as a Duke fan.  But for our game against Duke I'll take it.

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 10:39:29 AM »
We should have a good chance in the Duke game because Coach K is too stubborn to zone us and will extend his guards far enough to play into the hands of our guards. He'd be better served packing it in and trying to turn us into a one-dimensional team.
Bingo. His stubbornness re anti-zone has been the most frustrating aspect as a Duke fan. But for our game against Duke I'll take it.
Who ya rooting for kid?

Re: Can we beat Duke?
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 03:14:44 PM »
We should have a good chance in the Duke game because Coach K is too stubborn to zone us and will extend his guards far enough to play into the hands of our guards. He'd be better served packing it in and trying to turn us into a one-dimensional team.
Bingo. His stubbornness re anti-zone has been the most frustrating aspect as a Duke fan. But for our game against Duke I'll take it.
Who ya rooting for kid?
Are you mistaking Kid for Baldi?

Tha Kid

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 09:09:17 AM »
Who ya rooting for kid?

I was at a wedding with 20 Duke people on Saturday.  Feel free to ask any of them who they know I will root for.  I Don't hide my allegiance to the first team I ever rooted for and grew up following.

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »
Duke is a really good team and has some depth in the back court with Cook, Tyus Jones, Matt Jones (who plays big minutes defensively) and Suliamon.
Okafor is the best big in college basketball
Jefferson is huge on the glass
Winslow is a scorer

It is going to be a test for St.John's. They can't fall into dry spells scoring because once Duke goes on that run it is over.

Duke over St.John's
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:44:47 PM by theTransfer22 »

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »
This is the only game on our schedule that I thought, from the beginning of the year, was unwinnable.  Okafor is as fundamentally sound a big man as I can recall seeing as a freshman.  So many guys would have to have an off night for us to pull this one out.  Hope we shock the world!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:10:50 PM by simplyred »