Ranked !

• 187 replies
Re: Ranked !
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2014, 09:45:28 PM »
Didn't we get ranked for a week or two in Lavin's first year with Norm's team? The week after we beat Pitt?

I think it was longer than that. I think we were up to #15 at one point. 

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »
Didn't we get ranked for a week or two in Lavin's first year with Norm's team? The week after we beat Pitt?
I think it was longer than that. I think we were up to #15 at one point.
We were ranked for 3 weeks in 2011. Jumped in at 23 after the Pitt game, moved up to 15 the next week after we beat Nova on the road, then down to 17 after we lost to Seton Hall the last week of the season.

paultzman

« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »
#17 in new AP Poll

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »
#17 in new AP Poll

Wow! Getting close to top 15!

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
Very exciting, Looking forward to see them play tonight!
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
" Well we're movin on up, to the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky."

« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2014, 12:26:12 AM »
A few teams ranked higher have lost the last few days. Top 10 next?

Johnny23

« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2014, 08:07:39 AM »

No, they don't have enough signature wins to move all the way into the Top 10 at this point. However if they beat Tulane, the Hall, Butler and Nova, then yes, top 10 is in their future. But they need to take care of business first.

« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »
No, they don't have enough signature wins to move all the way into the Top 10 at this point. However if they beat Tulane, the Hall, Butler and Nova, then yes, top 10 is in their future. But they need to take care of business first.
But St Johns is ranked 17 now without a signature win? Best win is at Syracuse, who is having a down year. 

« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »

Per KenPom, there is a 13.3% chance of winning all 4 of those games.  Though this does not factor in Whitehead's potential absence in the SH game next week.

« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2014, 12:22:16 PM »
Agree with Baldi - team isn't moving up that much absent a win against a highly ranked foe.  If they run the table through Nova, then yes, because the latter would be a signature win.  But right now with this group i'm very content taking it one game at a time.  Tulane is a trap game so need to lock that up and then start the Big East on a high note with a win against what will be a very amped up Seton Hall team.  That game looks easier without Whitehead, but we have not played well against far less talented Seton Hall teams the past few years, so that won't be easy by any stretch.

By the way, I think the Cuse win will keep looking better as the season rolls on.  While Cuse is down, they have plenty of top young talent and those guys will get better each game.

Poison

« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »
But St Johns is ranked 17 now without a signature win? Best win is at Syracuse, who is having a down year.

I think we have 3 signature wins. Minnesota, Syracuse and St.Mary's. Those programs may not be as strong as they usually are, but that's their problem. Not ours. Lavin can only coach us.

We have an aggressive pre-season schedule, and we should get credit for that. I expect we will. Only this year, should year, should a player tear his knee up in the BE Tournament, it would be smart to do as Jim Boehwim would do, and make that announcement after the MFers announce the seeding.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 12:57:55 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
If they are 14-1, they'll probably be in the top 5-10. 

TONYD3

« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »
Tired of hearing about ken Poma percentages not close to being correct. We are going to be playing nova if not 10 very close to it. Out out of conference schedule has been good . Still have to play Duke. We should win all of the games before nova. Butler has been ranked, seton hall almost was, and Tulane has a good record . 
Nova is going to be a big game ! 

« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2014, 01:27:19 PM »
Cuse and Minnesota will probably be RPI top 50 teams at year end. Winning at Cuse is a signature win, all things considered.

Is there really a difference between being ranked 9th or 12th?  "Top 10" has a nice ring to it but that's really about it imo

« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »
Cuse is most likely still getting in the tournament. And even if they don't, winning in the Carrier Dome is a signature win. 

TONYD3

« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2014, 01:32:03 PM »
Cuse and Minnesota will probably be RPI top 50 teams at year end. Winning at Cuse is a signature win, all things considered. Is there really a difference between being ranked 9th or 12th? "Top 10" has a nice ring to it but that's really about it imo
Agree. Still want to be 9!

« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »
Moved up 3 spots to #17 with a home win against St. Mary's only. 

If we move up 3 spots for beating two teams, LBI and the Green Wave, that'll bring us to #14.

Then wins against the Butler and the Hall would have us at least at #10 entering the big Nova showdown.

Don't read this players.  One at a time!

« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »
Moved up 3 spots to #17 with a home win against St. Mary's only. 

If we move up 3 spots for beating two teams, LBI and the Green Wave, that'll bring us to #14.

Then wins against the Butler and the Hall would have us at least at #10 entering the big Nova showdown.

Don't read this players.  One at a time!

Unless the teams immediately ahead of us lose this weekend then I would be surprised if we moved up much. I don't see the teams that lost ahead of us dropping behind us. Just win baby!

« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
Moved up 3 spots to #17 with a home win against St. Mary's only. If we move up 3 spots for beating two teams, LBI and the Green Wave, that'll bring us to #14. Then wins against the Butler and the Hall would have us at least at #10 entering the big Nova showdown. Don't read this players. One at a time!
Unless the teams immediately ahead of us lose this weekend then I would be surprised if we moved up much. I don't see the teams that lost ahead of us dropping behind us. Just win baby! [/quote
Moved up 3 spots to #17 with a home win against St. Mary's only. If we move up 3 spots for beating two teams, LBI and the Green Wave, that'll bring us to #14. Then wins against the Butler and the Hall would have us at least at #10 entering the big Nova showdown. Don't read this players. One at a time!
Unless the teams immediately ahead of us lose this weekend then I would be surprised if we moved up much. I don't see the teams that lost ahead of us dropping behind us. Just win baby!

Without specifics on who won or lost ahead of us,  I can't see how we could go 2 - 0 in a week and not move up at least a spot or two.

Beat the Green Wave and we'll be top 15 in the nation. It's gotta be.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:56:55 PM by carmineabbatiello »