Ranked !

• 187 replies
Re: Ranked !
« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2015, 05:00:13 PM »
So then do BET games count as home games for us? 

It's where we had senior night

If you quoted a rule somewhere that explained the methodology, that would help make your point.  Clearly we know that we play home games at MSG.  The question is are these "other" games counted as neutral site.

I agree with Poison.  But is that not the same situation as the preseason NIT?

Tha Kid

« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2015, 05:11:58 PM »
Nope chud.  32nd and gtown 26th in coaches
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2015, 05:37:49 PM »
So then do BET games count as home games for us? 

It's where we had senior night

If you quoted a rule somewhere that explained the methodology, that would help make your point.  Clearly we know that we play home games at MSG.  The question is are these "other" games counted as neutral site.

I agree with Poison.  But is that not the same situation as the preseason NIT?

IMO, the pre-season NIT is where it could be legitimately counted as a home game, even if it's not technically the case. How likely are fans of Minnesota to fly to NY and spend their Thanksgiving watching basketball? Some people will, but the pre-season NIT has been empty for as long as I can remember.

« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2015, 06:13:51 PM »
Would we be complaining if the Big East tournament was held in Philly or DC? Yes. We have the tournament at home. Even NIt preseason games.

Tha Kid

« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
Agree w baldi.  It's a huge advantage.  Other teams would take this advantage and consistently win more than they probably should. Unfortunately we do anything but which is probably we all think the msg games should be neutral...because due to our fan bases usual apathy they basically are.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »
Would we be complaining if the Big East tournament was held in Philly or DC? Yes. We have the tournament at home. Even NIt preseason games.

I don't think anyone is complaining.  I was simply asking for clarification on the methodology; I recalled a different one in years past.  I am also still unclear about what is different about the preseason NIT versus the conference tournament as it relates to classification of "home" vs "neutral" sites.  Was the Holiday Tournament always considered SJU home games for RPI purposes?

If this is indeed the case then I question the desire to participate in preseason tournaments at MSG.  I'd rather schedule one off non conference games there against guaranteed marquee opponents who will draw a crowd.  Build it into the season ticket package.  Attendance and resulting SOS would probably be better.

« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2015, 06:42:55 PM »
I'm guessing that the BET games will be deemed home games in the NCAA's RPI calculations.  I recall reading a while back that if a team plays a percentage of their games (not sure of the number) in a particular arena, it is counted as home court.

That being said, there really is little advantage to playing in the preseason NIT.  That tournament is going the way of the Great Alaska Shootout.

« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2015, 06:57:52 PM »
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/Policies.pdf

For those interested, the methodology begins on page 9 in this .pdf.  Seems like the kind of situation that could be either home or neutral per the scenarios laid out.  Schools can appeal, apparently.  SJU should do this for the preseason NIT, as it was not part of the season ticket package, nor did we "host" the tournament or hire the officials.