St. Mary's

• 136 replies

boo3

Re: St. Mary's
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »
I missed the whole 1st half.  My observations on Joey are solely based on when he replace CO after he fouled out.  He moved his feet well on a drive by Waldow late in the game , turned out to be a huge stop.  
5-10 minutes, 5 fouls as a space eater... He's done his job. 

TONYD3

« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2014, 10:48:50 PM »
No way these guys win this game last year or the year before.. Veteran leadership is so huge.. I've never seen JDLR before.. The way folks made him out on here I thought the fat dude from Teen Wolf was gonna appear.. He is a big boy, but loos in decent enough shape.. I think he can help this season...
I think he'll give us more than almost anyone expected--which is an extremely low bar to get over. All we can ask is for him not to lose the game or put us in a worse situation than when he came in. He looked lost as you would expect for his first game on a new team, but he did hustle and play hard and didn't lose it for us. He's a big, big boy but he doesn't have half the skill of his brother. Dom is playing out of his mind right now--he was nearly flawless tonight. And he is such a good complement to a mountain like JDR who will box out but won't get off the floor.
JDR was lost out there :2funny: He was by the most vocal on the defensive end.
not lost at all

« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2014, 10:49:42 PM »
Lavin deserves credit for calling that timeout late in the 2nd and drew up a nice backdoor Sheed layup
That was sexy. I was begging for the timeout on my couch then I'm was waiting to see what was drawn up. Awesome. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2014, 10:53:27 PM »
Phil should never have taken that second three... Move the ball to Harrison
Didn't mind that shot. In rhythm, rebounders in position, but poor execution. Phil faded like Mason Jr. when there was no need for it. 

boo3

« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2014, 10:53:36 PM »
 Moving into conference play  this team will have confidence they can make a big comeback.  Something they haven't done a lot of over the years.  

« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2014, 11:05:41 PM »
Thought Lavin playing traditional lineup in first half hurt a lot. While Joey Delarosa gave everything he had tonight and for most part had serviceable minutes he's still below par. I give him a lot of credit though because he gave everything he got but he is simply limited. While Waldo is very skilled SJU was lucky he wasn't a better athlete.

2nd half went small and played some zone too. This helped but what really made the difference was gutsy call to have Dom defend Waldo. Made a huge difference. Even though Obekpa fouled out I credit Lav for leaving him in. Scared money, don't make money. He made some big plays in 2nd half and had to play your best guys to win.  

« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »
I think Delarosa showed he can at least come in and spell Obekpa if we need him. 

paultzman

« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2014, 11:09:46 PM »
Thought Lavin playing traditional lineup in first half hurt a lot. While Joey Delarosa gave everything he had tonight and for most part had serviceable minutes he's still below par. I give him a lot of credit though because he gave everything he got but he is simply limited. While Waldo is very skilled SJU was lucky he wasn't a better athlete. 2nd half went small and played some zone too. This helped but what really made the difference was gutsy call to have Dom defend Waldo. Made a huge difference. Even though Obekpa fouled out I credit Lav for leaving him in. Scared money, don't make money. He made some big plays in 2nd half and had to play your best guys to win.
Just got home & agree Dave, Dom's D in second half on the big guy saved the day. Great effort & good strategy.

« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2014, 11:13:49 PM »
1. Great to comeback and win.
2. Great to win despite shooting very poorly.
3. Great to win despite getting dominated on the boards
4. Forced a lot of turnover and manufactured that into offense in 2nd half.

« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2014, 11:15:21 PM »
I swore I saw the ghost of Norm at the end...I've been watching too many replays of "A Christmas Carol".  This is the way looie used to do it back in the day.  Gutsy win.

« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2014, 11:20:55 PM »
I swore I saw the ghost of Norm at the end...I've been watching too many replays of "A Christmas Carol". This is the way looie used to do it back in the day. Gutsy win.
It's St Mary's 

« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2014, 11:24:37 PM »
I swore I saw the ghost of Norm at the end...I've been watching too many replays of "A Christmas Carol". This is the way looie used to do it back in the day. Gutsy win.
It's St Mary's

St. Mary's past 5 season's:
28-6 Sweet 16
25-9 NIT
27-6 NCAA
28-7 NCAA
23-12 NIT

Poison

« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2014, 12:22:32 AM »
Thought Lavin playing traditional lineup in first half hurt a lot. While Joey Delarosa gave everything he had tonight and for most part had serviceable minutes he's still below par. I give him a lot of credit though because he gave everything he got but he is simply limited. While Waldo is very skilled SJU was lucky he wasn't a better athlete. 2nd half went small and played some zone too. This helped but what really made the difference was gutsy call to have Dom defend Waldo. Made a huge difference. Even though Obekpa fouled out I credit Lav for leaving him in. Scared money, don't make money. He made some big plays in 2nd half and had to play your best guys to win.
Tonight was possibly Lavin's most impressive half time adjustment, but I don't think he had options in the first half once Obekpa picked up his 2nd foul. He filled the space of a center a center. 
But, in the second half, putting Dom on Waldow changed the game for good. 
Problem is we can't be a team that plays 6 guys. Delarosa, Stewart and somebody else has to get there more. We are too think to play against teams w big men and only go out there w one big guy who sees action. 

« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2014, 12:30:13 AM »
It's St Mary's

remember this is captain "glass half empty" , im enjoying the holidays if we take care of business monday. Nice crowd tonight also, seemed very vocal.

« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2014, 12:38:06 AM »
It is great to get a win like that on a night where you shot so poorly. Our defense was phenomenal throughout the whole game really. Even in the first half I though the effort was great on d. Offense was another story, I dont think well ever be consistently good on offense but I know we will be better than that. 

St. John's Red Storm - your #15-19 team in the nation
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2014, 01:43:59 AM »
Boo you commented on JDR but said you only saw second half. IMO he did an even better job in a longer stretch in the first half. He was an excellent example of a big helping the team by just throwing his weight around and taking up space. By banging into guys and just taking up space he allows our other players to grab the ball or make a play. Big dude and can actually contribute.

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2014, 02:06:14 AM »
Boo you commented on JDR but said you only saw second half. IMO he did an even better job in a longer stretch in the first half. He was an excellent example of a big helping the team by just throwing his weight around and taking up space. By banging into guys and just taking up space he allows our other players to grab the ball or make a play. Big dude and can actually contribute.

In 12minutes: 1 board, 2 blocks

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2014, 02:13:41 AM »
Man had such a crazy fun time in the second half. Love going to Carnesseca Arena. Not a lot of students stayed for Winter Break so make sure to come out Monday night for another big game!

Foad

« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
Some thoughts about Saint Mary's: http://www.bigeastboards.com/

TONYD3

« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »
agree with everything except the zone. It was/is awful. Having another body will hopefulley retire any possible zones. I am not one to call Dunlap the savior, but since he left any zone = easy baskets.