Early season Most Improved Player

• 58 replies

desco80

Re: Early season Most Improved Player
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2014, 03:00:44 PM »
I thought players don't show any improvement under Lavs and his staff? Obek, Sir, Sheed, and Dee in that order.
most have definitely improved from last year. I would probably go: Dom, Greene, Obekpa, D'lo, Sheed.
Greene is shooting 39 percent from the floor and 31 percent from three. Last year he shot 39 percent from the floor and 40 percent from three. He has fewer assists pg this year than last by a third (1.1 vs 1.5) and twice as many turnovers (.6 vs 1.2) : his ATO last year was 3:1, this year it's less than 1:1. Forget the three good minutes he played vs Syracuse. By what metric has he improved?
troll on bro I don't want to sound like carmine, but what about his 58% increase in points per game from 7.4 to 11.7, or his free throw % improvement from 65% to 80%, or the fact that he has managed to give up the ball on the fast break and in the half court and look to spot up (probably his biggest improvement). Also, I like how you concede the point by saying the guy should be judge one all of his play except for the best minutes the guy has ever played. You probably judge eli manning on everything he has done except the manningham and tyree passes that won super bowls.
Phil Greene: Offensive rating - e-FG % - total shooting - assist rating - turnover rate '15 92.5 44.0 45.4 7.1 10.9 '14 105.5 46.5 48.3 11.6 8.4 '13 91.3 40.5 42.4 15.9 12.0 '12 88.8 39.1 41.3 19.2 19.3 So, PG is shooting worse, passing less, and turning the ball over more. He's helped the team win, but he's not improved from last season.
I thought players don't show any improvement under Lavs and his staff? Obek, Sir, Sheed, and Dee in that order.
most have definitely improved from last year. I would probably go: Dom, Greene, Obekpa, D'lo, Sheed.
Greene is shooting 39 percent from the floor and 31 percent from three. Last year he shot 39 percent from the floor and 40 percent from three. He has fewer assists pg this year than last by a third (1.1 vs 1.5) and twice as many turnovers (.6 vs 1.2) : his ATO last year was 3:1, this year it's less than 1:1. Forget the three good minutes he played vs Syracuse. By what metric has he improved?
troll on bro I don't want to sound like carmine, but what about his 58% increase in points per game from 7.4 to 11.7, or his free throw % improvement from 65% to 80%, or the fact that he has managed to give up the ball on the fast break and in the half court and look to spot up (probably his biggest improvement). Also, I like how you concede the point by saying the guy should be judge one all of his play except for the best minutes the guy has ever played. You probably judge eli manning on everything he has done except the manningham and tyree passes that won super bowls.
Phil Greene: Offensive rating - e-FG % - total shooting - assist rating - turnover rate '15 92.5 44.0 45.4 7.1 10.9 '14 105.5 46.5 48.3 11.6 8.4 '13 91.3 40.5 42.4 15.9 12.0 '12 88.8 39.1 41.3 19.2 19.3 So, PG is shooting worse, passing less, and turning the ball over more. He's helped the team win, but he's not improved from last season.
What do these columns mean?

They're advanced stats given by Ken Pomeroy to explain true contributions on the court.  

Offensive rating (ORtg): A measure of personal offensive efficiency developed by Dean Oliver. The formula is very complicated, but accurate. For a detailed explanation, buy Basketball on Paper.
Effective field goal percentage (eFG%): Same as regular field goal percentage, except that made three-pointers are appropriately given 50% more credit.
 True shooting percentage (TS%): (New) This is Gasaway’s old PPWS divided by 2. It’s like eFG%, but throws in trips to the line and converts it to a shooting percentage that approximates what 2-point percentage a player would need to have to score the points he produces on all of his shooting attempts.
Assist Rate (ARate): This is assists divided by the field goals made by the player’s teammates while he is on the court.
 Turnover Rate (TORate): This is the percentage of personal possessions used on turnovers. It can be highly dependent on context.  Players that do little passing or dribbling (i.e. spot-up shooters) will have an artificially deflated TO%.

desco80

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2014, 03:04:11 PM »
Don't feel like starting a new thread, but Lavin will be an in studio guest tomorrow at wfan 4:30 pm... No Francesa, who is off, will be Evan/Joe. Don't expect too much insight.
Perfect time to say he has been extended indefinitely :-).
I wouldn't put it past Lavin to say something like that, but that wouldn't make it any more likely to occur.   If you recall, he leaked to the media last spring that the school was negotiating an extension for him; except, they weren't. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:27:11 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2014, 03:14:48 PM »
but his FT shooting was pretty appalling,
The opposite
Appalling means terrible. The opposite of appalling is wonderful. If you are correct that his FT last year was the opposite of appalling, then 65 percent FT shooting is wonderful. OTOH if 65 percent FT shooting is not wonderful, then we can put the English language down as another thing about which you know FA.

My bad. My failing was not really misunderstanding the term "appalling" or it's antonym - but rather my misunderstanding the third person singular past form of the verb "to be".  I didn't realize that your use of "was" merely referenced the 2013/14 seasons and not his prior free throw shooting in it's entirety. 
But you know me - any opportunity to shed a positive light on the Triangle is not often wasted.

Come to think of it, he shot 65% from the line last season and the team at large shot 69%.  I now disagree with your flippant use of "appalling" even if it's just concerning the 2013/14 season.  "Mediocre" more aptly describes it.  So suck on dem apples.

P.S.

Doc,

Your game reports on Beb this season have been outstanding.  I've really been enjoying them. I know I speak for Johnny fans and rubes everywhere in thanking you for taking the time and effort to write them.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:42:12 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 03:16:44 PM »
What do these columns mean?
They're advanced stats given by Ken Pomeroy to explain true contributions on the court. Offensive rating (ORtg): A measure of personal offensive efficiency developed by Dean Oliver. The formula is very complicated, but accurate. For a detailed explanation, buy Basketball on Paper. Effective field goal percentage (eFG%): Same as regular field goal percentage, except that made three-pointers are appropriately given 50% more credit. True shooting percentage (TS%): (New) This is Gasaway’s old PPWS divided by 2. It’s like eFG%, but throws in trips to the line and converts it to a shooting percentage that approximates what 2-point percentage a player would need to have to score the points he produces on all of his shooting attempts. Assist Rate (ARate): This is assists divided by the field goals made by the player’s teammates while he is on the court. Turnover Rate (TORate): This is the percentage of personal possessions used on turnovers. It can be highly dependent on context. Players that do little passing or dribbling (i.e. spot-up shooters) will have an artificially deflated TO%.

Thank you.  That's very interesting.

jr49

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »
I appreciate everyone's stepping up, but only one guy showing me something I didn't think we would see. DH is doing everything. If his current level of play continues he could be BE player of the year and get in the mix for some type of All-American mention. I'm thrilled with Dom and CO, and look forward to Jordon becoming everything he can. Right now I feel everything good that's happening, DH has a hand in.   

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »
Dom Pointer, if his shooting improved as much as the rest of his game he would be first team all BE.

Didn't you see 0404 post?

10.2 PPG  7.7 RPG  2.7 APG  2.3 SPG 1.7 BPG  only 1.6 TOPG  and is shooting 58% from the field.
Shooting 58%.  If he's shooting like that then he should shhot alittle more per game.

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »
Dom Pointer, if his shooting improved as much as the rest of his game he would be first team all BE.
Didn't you see 0404 post? 10.2 PPG 7.7 RPG 2.7 APG 2.3 SPG 1.7 BPG only 1.6 TOPG and is shooting 58% from the field. Shooting 58%. If he's shooting like that then he should shhot alittle more per game.

He probably meant jumpshooting. 

desco80

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2014, 04:22:48 PM »
Dom is playing an efficient game right now.  If he shot more, chances are his shot selection would be worse.   
I think he's playing within himself right now and not trying to do too much.  He takes shots that he can make.   

Also, I totally agree with Jr.   Dangelo has improved and isn't getting enough credit because he was good to begin with, but now he's shooting better and turning the ball over less.
And his rebounding is just outstanding for a player his size. 

And just as an example:   on 2pt shots, Dlo is shooting .508;  thats up from 38% last year.   Thats some serious improvement. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:25:02 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »
The team is passing better, getting better shots and Jordan has helped out with the scoring load. Harrison's % should be ignored the last 2 years becuase more often then not he was putting up shots at the end of the shot clock and he was keyed on by the other teams becuase they knew no one else could score.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:43:14 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2014, 05:05:37 PM »
Dom by quite a wide margin.
CO has improved many facets of his game, but I am disappointed with his finishing thus far.  He has left a lot of points on the floor thus far.

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2014, 05:08:28 PM »
Didn't you see 0404 post? 10.2 PPG 7.7 RPG 2.7 APG 2.3 SPG 1.7 BPG only 1.6 TOPG and is shooting 58% from the field. Shooting 58%. If he's shooting like that then he should shhot alittle more per game.

Dom is probably  98% on dunk attempts and 20% on non-dunk attempts.  He doesn't need to shoot more.  He is doing it just right.  

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2014, 09:15:05 PM »

Did you really not understood what I meant? Dom passes up wide open threes. Could you imagine how valuable he would be if he was even just a threat to hit the open 3. But like I said, he is playing great and has improved by leaps and bounds imo. I even saw him sprint across the paint to help on defense,and instead of flying out of control for an unlikely block, he instead squared up and put his hands straight up in the air TWICE, in the same game. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »
Christian Jones vote??

TONYD3

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »
Christian Jones vote??
Yeah, he gave up 6 points himself. His instincs are amazing bad

Marillac

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 10:44:42 PM »
Christian Jones vote??

Obekpa tried to click Pointer but missed.  Then he pushed his roommate. 

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »
Well I guess you can say Jones did improve from being redshirted

jr49

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
ESPN shows early list of Wooden contenders. After top 5 DH gets listed 3rd out. He doesn't show on pre-season top 50 list at all. That's some jump. Our guys short on height and depth so it should be noticed if Harrison keeps willing the little train across the line.  If the guys keep winning and DH in the mix for a award like the Wooden, season would really be special. Size and depth of course continues to be a concern.

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2014, 07:48:34 PM »
ESPN shows early list of Wooden contenders. After top 5 DH gets listed 3rd out. He doesn't show on pre-season top 50 list at all. That's some jump. Our guys short on height and depth so it should be noticed if Harrison keeps willing the little train across the line. If the guys keep winning and DH in the mix for a award like the Wooden, season would really be special. Size and depth of course continues to be a concern.

As far as im concerned, this kid deserves all the recognition in the world. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.