Some Positive Press

• 48 replies
Some Positive Press
« on: December 17, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:45:11 AM by Moose »

boo3

Re: Some Positive Press
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:34:40 PM »
Lavin has been making the rounds... Yesterday on Jim Rome, Today with Kay and on WFAN..  

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:37:21 PM »
Lavin has been making the rounds... Yesterday on Jim Rome, Today with Kay and on WFAN..
Doug Gottlieb today also.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:39:59 PM by paultzman »

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:52:29 PM »
This is not a snide remark and not trying to start a debate. Lavin has faults, but this is a big positive. Would the Manhattan coach or either Hurley get this much publicity?  

Poison

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 08:00:56 PM »
This is not a snide remark and not trying to start a debate. Lavin has faults, but this is a big positive. Would the Manhattan coach or either Hurley get this much publicity?

Yes, they would. Unless you're implying that they should compete with Lavin's success this season, when they have to strut out a starting 5 next year that looks like this:

PG - Doughty
SG - Stewart
SF - Balamou
PF - Amar Alibegovic
C - Adonis Delarosa
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:02:06 PM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 08:20:17 PM »
Yes, they would. Unless you're implying that they should compete with Lavin's success this season, when they have to strut out a starting 5 next year that looks like this: PG - Doughty SG - Stewart SF - Balamou PF - Amar Alibegovic C - Adonis Delarosa
Is that honestly what you think the starting 5 will be? Do you honestly think Lavin will not get players for next year?
Byt he way, stewart, adonis, and Doughty were 3 star guys. not bums. Atleast the same quality player that most of the conference gets
Just because it is considered fact on here, Jordan and Obekpa did not declare for the draft yet. They may want to go and still come back.

desco80

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »

As the coach of st johns? Yea, probably. 
But even if they didnt, they'd win more.
How often is kevin Ollie in the press?  Mark Few?  Shaka?
You can hire a pr guy, or you can go for a basketball coach.

That said, I though coach was great on WFAN today.   Much less bs than usual.  He was self aware in a way that he usually isnt.  He pointedly acknowledged that what he was saying might sound like coach speak or hyperbole.
He's never that self aware.

Best interview he's done in awhile. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:02:48 PM by desco80 »

desco80

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »
Yes, they would. Unless you're implying that they should compete with Lavin's success this season, when they have to strut out a starting 5 next year that looks like this: PG - Doughty SG - Stewart SF - Balamou PF - Amar Alibegovic C - Adonis Delarosa
Is that honestly what you think the starting 5 will be? Do you honestly think Lavin will not get players for next year?
Byt he way, stewart, adonis, and Doughty were 3 star guys. not bums. Atleast the same quality player that most of the conference gets
Just because it is considered fact on here, Jordan and Obekpa did not declare for the draft yet. They may want to go and still come back.

You clearly haven't looked at the rest of the conference's recruiting. 

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »
I'll give Lavin the benefit of the doubt when it comes to recruiting until he's proven me wrong. He's pulled a few rabbits out of his hat in past years.

boo3

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 11:00:53 PM »
Come on. No way in hell that's the starting lineup next season.  
Heard the Rome spot. Zero substance.   Will got the Fan and Gottlieb on podcast.   
Side note : Gottlieb as a host is much better than I remember him back at ESPN.  

desco80

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
I'll give Lavin the benefit of the doubt when it comes to recruiting until he's proven me wrong. He's pulled a few rabbits out of his hat in past years.

Since 2012 he has recruited 1 top 50 player.  Jordan.   (I count sampson from his original class)
That's 3 full recruiting classes plus this year so far.  I know you all think Im biased, but  a "great" recruiter doesn't sign 1 top 50 player in 4 years.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
I forget what year it is all the time . However after some thinking I realize that 2012 is not 4 years ago. Only ONE season so far. THIS season isn't finished.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
this year he got no one. last year he got rysheed jordan, who is pretty good.  year before that he got jakaar sampson and chris obekpa, both pretty good.  year before that he got d'angelo harrison and mo harkless, both pretty good.  if he gets no one next year then he will have had two bad years in a row, but if he does, then he had one bad year.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 09:42:21 AM »
Too much Kool Aid, Napes?  How can you not see the sky is falling?  ;)

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 02:08:27 PM »
Since 2012 he has recruited 1 top 50 player. Jordan. (I count sampson from his original class) That's 3 full recruiting classes plus this year so far. I know you all think Im biased, but a "great" recruiter doesn't sign 1 top 50 player in 4 years.
Desco since lavins first season there has been 1 recruiting year where he didn't get a top 50 player. That's a fact. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »
Since 2012 he has recruited 1 top 50 player. Jordan. (I count sampson from his original class) That's 3 full recruiting classes plus this year so far. I know you all think Im biased, but a "great" recruiter doesn't sign 1 top 50 player in 4 years.
Desco since lavins first season there has been 1 recruiting year where he didn't get a top 50 player. That's a fact.
And he hasn't made the tourny with them. Only with Previous coaches guys
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:02:55 PM by Marco Baldi »

boo3

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »

When he makes it this year, what will you hate on next?   Back to his attire?  

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »

2 of them are in the NBA however.

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »
When he makes it this year, what will you hate on next? Back to his attire?
No. I'll wait for 3 years in a row missing the tourny. Again