Some Positive Press

• 48 replies

desco80

Re: Some Positive Press
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 11:54:54 AM »
We are probably the only top 20 team that has 50% of the fanbase wanting to see the coach fired.

Right.  Because to paraphrase Baron Davis, we are the only top 20 team without a coach. 

Imagine how good this year's team could be with a real coach. 

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:55:36 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 12:06:20 PM »
We are probably the only top 20 team that has 50% of the fanbase wanting to see the coach fired.
Right. Because to paraphrase Baron Davis, we are the only top 20 team without a coach. Imagine how good this year's team could be with a real coach.

Well, according to you we have horrible coach. I'm not sure you can become a top 20 team without a capable coach. And honestly even other haters like yourself have said Lavin has actually done a decent job thus far this season. Why is it so hard for you to just say that?

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »

Right.  Because to paraphrase Baron Davis, we are the only top 20 team without a coach. 

Imagine how good this year's team could be with a real coach.
Are you this disrespectful and constantly negative in your every day life too?   I don't know you, but your never ending venting is sad.  You cannot take any joy in this team, even when it is winning.  I feel bad for you.

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
I'll give Lavin the benefit of the doubt when it comes to recruiting until he's proven me wrong. He's pulled a few rabbits out of his hat in past years.
Since 2012 he has recruited 1 top 50 player. Jordan. (I count sampson from his original class) That's 3 full recruiting classes plus this year so far. I know you all think Im biased, but a "great" recruiter doesn't sign 1 top 50 player in 4 years.
Desco since lavins first season there has been 1 recruiting year where he didn't get a top 50 player. That's a fact.
And he hasn't made the tourny with them. Only with Previous coaches guys
When he makes it this year, what will you hate on next? Back to his attire?
No. I'll wait for 3 years in a row missing the tourny. Again
Baldi - serious question here, were you ever a fan of Lavin? If so - what was the turning point?
Yes I was a fan of the hire. Turning point is thought to say. Probably lack of improvement. As I always say, I'm not sure what's worse..not getting talent and losing, or getting the talent and still losing.
But you're a fan of Cluess who has had the best rosters in the MAAC yiyo and still hasn't coached one of them to play better defense?
I'm a fan of having a good team every year. Not once every 4 years. 

ras

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 01:14:38 PM »
Probably the only top 20 team with close to no one returning
Wrong. Kentucky will have no one returning either...
Kentucky will reload w MCD AAs including ,but not limited to Briscoe.

desco80

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2014, 01:34:22 PM »
Right. Because to paraphrase Baron Davis, we are the only top 20 team without a coach. Imagine how good this year's team could be with a real coach.
Are you this disrespectful and constantly negative in your every day life too? I don't know you, but your never ending venting is sad. You cannot take any joy in this team, even when it is winning. I feel bad for you.
??  I enjoy this team all the time.   Apparently you only focus on my anti-Lavin posts.  
I just posted this morning how much I'm looking forward to tonight's game.  

Again, for those of you who still can't grasp the concept:  it's very possible to root hard for this team, enjoy the players we've had around for 4 years, and still think we'd be much better off with a different coach. 

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »
Are you this disrespectful and constantly negative in your every day life too? I don't know you, but your never ending venting is sad. You cannot take any joy in this team, even when it is winning. I feel bad for you.
?? I enjoy this team all the time. Apparently you only focus on my anti-Lavin posts. I just posted this morning how much I'm looking forward to tonight's game. Again, for those of you who still can't grasp the concept: it's very possible to root hard for this team, enjoy the players we've had around for 4 years, and still think we'd be much better off with a different coach.

It's just that usually when you have a team that is in the top 20 for only the second time in the last decade (both under the current coach), you'd show maybe a shred of support instead of continuing to take shots when there is absolutely no reason to. If we were 6-3 or 5-4 I'd be completely with you. But we're not.

Like really? Bringing up a Baron Davis quote from 12 years ago, which he ultimately retracted?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:04:10 PM by redstorm212 »

ras

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »
I agree. There are a lot of things I question about Lavin.  I also think it's possible Whitesell is having a bigger impact this year. Nevertheless, other than the deeligibilities, So far ,so good w the team this year. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy.

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2014, 06:34:40 PM »
??  I enjoy this team all the time.   Apparently you only focus on my anti-Lavin posts.   
I just posted this morning how much I'm looking forward to tonight's game.   

Again, for those of you who still can't grasp the concept:  it's very possible to root hard for this team, enjoy the players we've had around for 4 years, and still think we'd be much better off with a different coach.
I read your positive, supportive posts too, but part of the "better off with another coach" theme that bothers me is that it will pop up in the "Some Positive Press" thread. My frustration with posters (incl. you, who I consider to be a knowledgeable supporter of the program) is that something like the Baron Davis quote has no place in this thread concerning positive press.  That's something UCLA fans will keep harping on until the day they day. But it is part of their history, not ours.  Even with Lavs here.  For example, I could easily point to the NY Post interview with Baron when he was with the Knicks in 2012 (much later than the other famous quote) where he was asked about Lavs:

"Q: What was the young Steve Lavin like as the UCLA coach?
A: The young Steve Lavin was all over the place (smile). … He was just a fun guy to be around … and you could tell that he was learning the game. … We tried a little bit of everything, and that gave me more freedom out there on the floor. … Our UCLA system was really like a pro system , and he treated us like young professionals. Instead of like a father figure, he was like a big brother.
Q: Do you speak with him often?
A: He’s changed a lot (chuckle). He’s calmer. You can tell he has a lot more perspective, and he has a lot more, I would say confidence, in just his presence and his understanding of what he’s trying to accomplish. And he’s smarter as far as like the staff of people that he picked around him, the basketball minds that’s he’s picked around him. So I think that he’s become an even better leader, and at the time he was a young leader, and we would run through a brick wall for that guy."
I'll even bet you've read this article a couple of times (http://nypost.com/2012/03/04/serbys-sunday-q-a-with-baron-davis/)

So I just cited a very positive quote, with Baron Davis putting the young and older Coach Lavin in context.

Do not get me wrong, I too am into the "when is the right time to make a move" game/strategy. It is not an exact science, although some stats can be used to support both sides of the "go/no-go" argument.  And I can see both sides of the coin for "go/no-go" thus far.

It's my opinion it shouldn't be on a thread solely about positive press.   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:43:35 PM by bball purist »