Question for the Haters

• 53 replies

TONYD3

Question for the Haters
« on: December 18, 2014, 08:49:09 AM »
How do you think the season will end?

What kind of team will we put on the floor next year?

Every week their is a new issue why this guy sucks . Some are true, some half true, and some flat out lies.

cjfish

Re: Question for the Haters
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:21:12 AM »
the view from the eternal optimist....Jordan stays and is one of the best PGs in the land.....CO and a less plump ADR form twin towers, CO plays unbelievable D and continues to learn Offense.....ADR, soft hands and shoots FTs, becomes a force underneath.  Offense direction changes to point and inside.....others develop to fill roles.....pray we get some quality recruits.....borderline torney team if recruits come and we are lucky....otherwise rebuilding year.  Jordan is good enough that if he is under control he can carry the team into the post season.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
How do you think the season will end? What kind of team will we put on the floor next year? Every week their is a new issue why this guy sucks . Some are true, some half true, and some flat out lies.
2nd round loss
Bottom 4 in the Big East

Foad

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
How do you think the season will end?

Statistically there is a 99.1 percent chance that any particular college basketball season will end with a loss. Historically 95. 3 percent of SJU seasons have ended with a loss.  So I will go out on a limb and predict the season ends with a loss.

What kind of team will we put on the floor next year?

The current bench is thin, the recruiting class is thinner, and the coach is a chowderhead. So I will predict that there is a high probability that next year's team will be awful.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »
How do you think the season will end? What kind of team will we put on the floor next year? Every week their is a new issue why this guy sucks . Some are true, some half true, and some flat out lies.
This year: I think we'll win one game in the NCAAs, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the guys win the BE tournament. And IMO, for any current BE program, that should be considered a more than successful season. 
Next year, as I have, and many others have stated before there is next to nothing returning. We already know that Jordan wants very badly to be a pro, and it doesn't seem like whether he is ready to be a pro will factor into his decision. Obekpa had left the program, and then returned. He's not ready for the league, but he may not care. Obekpa could take his dramatic defensive improvement and his marginal offensive improvement to a pro court somewhere in the world. Now, he'll have a chance to play in Italy, France, Greece or Spain if he simply can't stand being here any longer. 
And I find that susappinting. I fully understand the rationale of making as much big money as you can while you're young enough to play, but it really feels like under Lavin, and even before him w Jarvis, our guys will get the hell out ASAP in their minds. There is no passion for St.John's, and that is probably why there is no passion from the fan base. 
We 're the 24th ranked team in the nation and MSG is half empty in a local rivalry game. I get why Fordham has no support. That adds up. 
In short, a good coach and a good program will work to develop continuity. Tell me QuanMan, who will be on the team next year that has had an ounce of responsibility this year? 

TONYD3

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 10:28:34 AM »
I would have went to fordaham game. Had to work. I am big fan . My friends And family come often with me but I almost think it's rude to ask for that kind of game. Would you pay 100 dollars to see the Yankees or mets play a minor league team. That's what it would cost.
We are St. John's not NYC university .
As far as the rest of your post, I agree with it. But I think this is as good as it gets. I think we can be successful going foward, but 1985 isn't happening again. 1999 a team full of local kids isn't happening either.
This guy will recuit, he seems like he is smarter , and he is keeping is revalant. UCONN won last year . Why not us.

desco80

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 11:09:08 AM »
Tony, you're not making sense buddy.
You say that this may be as good as it gets, and that seasons like 1985 or '99 can't happen anymore.  And then in your next sentence you say "UCONN won last year, why not us?".

Well which is it? 

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 11:56:06 AM »
Don't hate Lavin or hardly anyone else for that matter but are beginning to hate holes that label people Lavin haters just because they may not think he is a good college basketball coach and or don't want him to coach their team. However, I will indulge and answer your question. Best case scenario is 2-3 wins in NCAA T and with a big year on the court Lavin is able to salvage a good recruiting class and earns an extension. Worse case we end up on the bubble miss out on T bid and recruiting stays sub par and Lavin moves on either of his own accord, by mutual agreement or is asked to leave. Must admit team is preforming better than I thought they would so I will remain optimistic that we have a good season and make the T. Signing good recruits seems to be like pulling teeth lately but a good season should net us at least a few pretty good recruits so some kind of extension without a huge commitment will probably be in the offing. Does that answer your question slurper?  :P :)

boo3

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 11:58:36 AM »
Tony- Stop baiting the so-called " haters".  Haven't we read enough on this board about how bad everything is?
I admire your optimism, but i can understand other's trepidation. 
Lets worry about next year, next year.  Lavin will have some players here.  We won't be starting walk-on.   Projecting next seasons starting 5 now is a waste of time.   No one has a clue. Let it all play  out.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:00:48 PM by boo3 »

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »
Tony- Stop baiting the so-called " haters". Haven't we read enough on this board about how bad everything is? I admire your optimism, but i can understand other's trepidation. Lets worry about next year, next year. Lavin will have some players here. We won't be starting walk-on. Projecting next seasons starting 5 now is a waste of time. No one has a clue. Let it all play out.
Sensible

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 12:16:24 PM »
Tony, you're not making sense buddy. You say that this may be as good as it gets, and that seasons like 1985 or '99 can't happen anymore. And then in your next sentence you say "UCONN won last year, why not us?". Well which is it?
Agree I should have made more sense. I meant selling out the garden for hoilday festivals , old big east rivalries and other things from the past. 

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 12:39:29 PM »
Tony- Stop baiting the so-called " haters". Haven't we read enough on this board about how bad everything is? I admire your optimism, but i can understand other's trepidation. Lets worry about next year, next year. Lavin will have some players here. We won't be starting walk-on. Projecting next seasons starting 5 now is a waste of time. No one has a clue. Let it all play out.

Question is, when does Lavin start worrying about next year?  
He always finds a way to start a walk on, so that's nothing new

boo3

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 12:50:14 PM »
Question is, when does Lavin start worrying about next year? He always finds a way to start a walk on, so that's nothing new

Don't know.. Don't care.. If he ignores it ( which he won't), he will be out of job..  win/win, no?

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »
I think our defense will enable us to wind up in the top three in the Big East and go into the second or third round in the tourney.

desco80

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
Tony, you're not making sense buddy. You say that this may be as good as it gets, and that seasons like 1985 or '99 can't happen anymore. And then in your next sentence you say "UCONN won last year, why not us?". Well which is it?
Agree I should have made more sense. I meant selling out the garden for hoilday festivals , old big east rivalries and other things from the past.
Fair enough.

In response to your original question, I think we either miss the tournament or lose in the first round.  I base this on the fact that I still don't think this team still can't execute well enough in the halfcourt to beat good teams, and they remain far too thin up front.
For next season, I think we'll be extremely weak, and finish with a well below .500 record.    I don't think SJU lands Sampson or Diallo.   If I had to guess, our recruiting class will look much like this season's:
a JUCO (who admittedly, may not be terrible), a 3* or two that don't belong starting in the BE as freshmen, and a foreign player that isn't BE ready. 

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »
Fair enough.

In response to your original question, I think we either miss the tournament or lose in the first round.  I base this on the fact that I still don't think this team still can't execute well enough in the halfcourt to beat good teams, and they remain far too thin up front.
For next season, I think we'll be extremely weak, and finish with a well below .500 record.    I don't think SJU lands Sampson or Diallo.   If I had to guess, our recruiting class will look much like this season's:
a JUCO (who admittedly, may not be terrible), a 3* or two that don't belong starting in the BE as freshmen, and a foreign player that isn't BE ready.

Only question I have on Lavins recruiting.
Will we get another recruit before April? I'm not being sarcastic either

SJUFAN

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »
Fair enough. In response to your original question, I think we either miss the tournament or lose in the first round. I base this on the fact that I still don't think this team still can't execute well enough in the halfcourt to beat good teams, and they remain far too thin up front. For next season, I think we'll be extremely weak, and finish with a well below .500 record. I don't think SJU lands Sampson or Diallo. If I had to guess, our recruiting class will look much like this season's: a JUCO (who admittedly, may not be terrible), a 3* or two that don't belong starting in the BE as freshmen, and a foreign player that isn't BE ready.
Let's not count out Jordan and Obeckpa from next years team just yet.

desco80

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »
Fair enough. In response to your original question, I think we either miss the tournament or lose in the first round. I base this on the fact that I still don't think this team still can't execute well enough in the halfcourt to beat good teams, and they remain far too thin up front. For next season, I think we'll be extremely weak, and finish with a well below .500 record. I don't think SJU lands Sampson or Diallo. If I had to guess, our recruiting class will look much like this season's: a JUCO (who admittedly, may not be terrible), a 3* or two that don't belong starting in the BE as freshmen, and a foreign player that isn't BE ready.
Let's not count out Jordan and Obeckpa from next years team just yet.

Why?   Chris and Rysheed are counting themselves  as out for next year.    They've been telling family, friends, and anyone who will listen on twitter that they're gone. 

boo3

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
You guys really can't enjoy anything can you?  
Need a break from this place again..   Awful.

desco80

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 04:02:08 PM »
You guys really can't enjoy anything can you? Need a break from this place again.. Awful.

Boo, what are you talking about?     Idk about Baldi, or Mullin, or others... but I'm enjoying this season tremendously.   Can't wait for tomorrow night.   My friends that don't follow SJU are finally hitting me up for tickets again haha.  I don't know that we're bound for greatness this year, but so far so good.  It's a lot better than the alternative.

But that doesn't change the fact that we've got nobody lined up for next year, and I think our coach is a doofus.