Question for the Haters

• 53 replies
Re: Question for the Haters
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
You guys really can't enjoy anything can you? 
Need a break from this place again..   Awful.

Who started this thread?
I believe a pro lavin supporter.

Then people answer, and it's oh you're a lousy fan, or you're giving me a headache.

So why do Lavin supporters bring it up?

BTW   I am enjoying the season,  if you read my other posts you'd see that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:40:23 PM by mullin85berry86 »

boo3

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
"So why do Lavin supporters bring it up?"
 If you read the thread, I asked him the same thing..

This whole notion of "Lavin Supporter" being a big deal.. He's the coach of the college team I've been a fan of since I was 10, of course I support him. They are having success.  Why would anyone not be "supporting" him?    " Well what about Norm"... yeah, what about him?  He was here for 6 years and made little to no improvement.   Lavin's teams, like it or not, have improved each year, not counting the Cancer year..  
No one has said the guy is a great bench coach, no one... He did a terrible job recruiting last season...agreed.   The majority of folks on here actually agree with each other, they just like to argue on the internet. 
But seriously, if, at 7-1 with two big OC games and then the BE season on the horizon, all you can talk about on a STJ message board is negatives...well that is a YOU problem. 

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 05:18:48 PM »
"So why do Lavin supporters bring it up?"
If you read the thread, I asked him the same thing..

This whole notion of "Lavin Supporter" being a big deal.. He's the coach of the college team I've been a fan of since I was 10, of course I support him. They are having success.  Why would anyone not be "supporting" him?    " Well what about Norm"... yeah, what about him?  He was here for 6 years and made little to no improvement.   Lavin's teams, like it or not, have improved each year, not counting the Cancer year.. 
No one has said the guy is a great bench coach, no one... He did a terrible job recruiting last season...agreed.   The majority of folks on here actually agree with each other, they just like to argue on the internet.
But seriously, if, at 7-1 with two big OC games and then the BE season on the horizon, all you can talk about on a STJ message board is negatives...well that is a YOU problem.

Lavin's teams, like it or not, have improved each year, not counting the Cancer year..
Two years ago they won @ St. Joe's and lost in 2nd rnd @ Va.
Last year in 1st rnd got smoked @ home to RM in the 1st rnd.
That's some improvement.

He did a terrible job recruiting last season...agreed. 
And where are the recruits for next year? one 3star kid for next year and it's almost 2015.
Just saying, hope we don't wakit until April to get the majority of the recruits.

Yep, I'm negative because I answered the thread with my opinion.
Shame on me.   SHAME SHAME SHAME.

boo3

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 05:21:54 PM »
"So why do Lavin supporters bring it up?" If you read the thread, I asked him the same thing.. This whole notion of "Lavin Supporter" being a big deal.. He's the coach of the college team I've been a fan of since I was 10, of course I support him. They are having success. Why would anyone not be "supporting" him? " Well what about Norm"... yeah, what about him? He was here for 6 years and made little to no improvement. Lavin's teams, like it or not, have improved each year, not counting the Cancer year.. No one has said the guy is a great bench coach, no one... He did a terrible job recruiting last season...agreed. The majority of folks on here actually agree with each other, they just like to argue on the internet. But seriously, if, at 7-1 with two big OC games and then the BE season on the horizon, all you can talk about on a STJ message board is negatives...well that is a YOU problem.
Lavin's teams, like it or not, have improved each year, not counting the Cancer year.. Two years ago they won @ St. Joe's and lost in 2nd rnd @ Va. Last year in 1st rnd got smoked @ home to RM in the 1st rnd. That's some improvement. He did a terrible job recruiting last season...agreed. And where are the recruits for next year? one 3star kid for next year and it's almost 2015. Just saying, hope we don't wakit until April to get the majority of the recruits. Yep, I'm negative because I answered the thread with my opinion. Shame on me. SHAME SHAME SHAME.
Not only are you negative, but you are a dope... So you have that going for you. 

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »
"So why do Lavin supporters bring it up?" If you read the thread, I asked him the same thing.. This whole notion of "Lavin Supporter" being a big deal.. He's the coach of the college team I've been a fan of since I was 10, of course I support him. They are having success. Why would anyone not be "supporting" him? " Well what about Norm"... yeah, what about him? He was here for 6 years and made little to no improvement. Lavin's teams, like it or not, have improved each year, not counting the Cancer year.. No one has said the guy is a great bench coach, no one... He did a terrible job recruiting last season...agreed. The majority of folks on here actually agree with each other, they just like to argue on the internet. But seriously, if, at 7-1 with two big OC games and then the BE season on the horizon, all you can talk about on a STJ message board is negatives...well that is a YOU problem.
Lavin's teams, like it or not, have improved each year, not counting the Cancer year.. Two years ago they won @ St. Joe's and lost in 2nd rnd @ Va. Last year in 1st rnd got smoked @ home to RM in the 1st rnd. That's some improvement. He did a terrible job recruiting last season...agreed. And where are the recruits for next year? one 3star kid for next year and it's almost 2015. Just saying, hope we don't wakit until April to get the majority of the recruits. Yep, I'm negative because I answered the thread with my opinion. Shame on me. SHAME SHAME SHAME.
Not only are you negative, but you are a dope... So you have that going for you.

Coming from you thats a compliment so thanks.

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »
Ouch

TONYD3

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 06:12:13 PM »
I do apologize for inflaming the board. I should have phrased the question better. I really did want to hear opinions that are clearly different then mine. I thank those who responded to my orginal question. As for being a Lavin supporter, I agree to a point. I don't love the guy and I don't have blind faith in him. I think the team is playing hard and smart for him. As for being an optimist, the better St. John's is the more college basketball I watch. The more I watch the better I think our team is. I do believe most of you guys agree with that.

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 06:41:15 PM »
I think the team is playing hard and smart for him. As for being an optimist, the better St. John's is the more college basketball I watch. The more I watch the better I think our team is. I do believe most of you guys agree with that.

Yes, they are playing hard for him. I think they are playing harder for themselves and their temmates.
The seniors know that this is their last shot at making the NCAA tournament, and they want no regrets. Don't let anyone or anything stand in the way.
This year is starting to remind me of 2011. Only difference? That team didn't start playing really well until January.
I believe this year the turning point is the Syracuse game on December 6th.
Struggled somewhat vs. Niagara, since the Cuse game? 20+pnt wins vs. FDU and Fordham. Yeah, I know those two are nobody's, but that's what a real good team supposed to do to nobody's.

Yes Tony, I agree with that.

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 09:06:03 PM »
I think the team is playing hard and smart for him. As for being an optimist, the better St. John's is the more college basketball I watch. The more I watch the better I think our team is. I do believe most of you guys agree with that.
Yes, they are playing hard for him. I think they are playing harder for themselves and their temmates. The seniors know that this is their last shot at making the NCAA tournament, and they want no regrets. Don't let anyone or anything stand in the way. This year is starting to remind me of 2011. Only difference? That team didn't start playing really well until January. I believe this year the turning point is the Syracuse game on December 6th. Struggled somewhat vs. Niagara, since the Cuse game? 20+pnt wins vs. FDU and Fordham. Yeah, I know those two are nobody's, but that's what a real good team supposed to do to nobody's. Yes Tony, I agree with that.

My question would be why didn't they play for each other the last 3 years then? Maybe if they did they wouldn't have had to worry about this being there last shot. As players they should ALWAYS play for each other.

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 11:14:43 PM »
Yes, they are playing hard for him. I think they are playing harder for themselves and their temmates. The seniors know that this is their last shot at making the NCAA tournament, and they want no regrets. Don't let anyone or anything stand in the way. This year is starting to remind me of 2011. Only difference? That team didn't start playing really well until January. I believe this year the turning point is the Syracuse game on December 6th. Struggled somewhat vs. Niagara, since the Cuse game? 20+pnt wins vs. FDU and Fordham. Yeah, I know those two are nobody's, but that's what a real good team supposed to do to nobody's. Yes Tony, I agree with that.

My question would be why didn't they play for each other the last 3 years then? Maybe if they did they wouldn't have had to worry about this being there last shot. As players they should ALWAYS play for each other.

I don't know, but that's the past and there's no going back now. All they can control is the now.
Forget the past. why didn't why do this or that, You'll make yourself crazy.

The whole season is unfinished business until selection sunday.

desco80

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »

I don't know, but that's the past and there's no going back now. All they can control is the now.
Forget the past. why didn't why do this or that, You'll make yourself crazy.

The whole season is unfinished business until selection sunday.

The past is prologue.
If they did it once, then you must guard against reverting to that type of play.  You can't dismiss  so easily what we saw from this group on a regular basis for 3 years.

I hope we've turned a corner, but it's a mistake to say we're nothing like the teams of '11 '12 or '13.  Same staff, and by and large the same players too. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:33:08 AM by desco80 »

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 09:48:15 AM »
They may be the same people but they got better as players . Phil greene still plays around the same minutes but he is better then he was 2 years ago. Not only are our players better then they were the teams we are playing are much worse.

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 09:49:57 AM »
 :uglystupid2: Some things never change. I come to this forum when the team is losing, I feel and hear hatred for the coach, and people want him gone. I come to the forum when the team is winning, I feel and hear hatred for the coach, and people want him gone. I have a feeling that if I am ever lucky enough  to live long enough (almost 65) to see St. John's win the tournament, and become national champions, I'll come here and experience more hatred for the coach, and some will want him gone. :knuppel2:

When I used to live in Manhattan & Brooklyn,  I was a big St. John's fan of course, but also followed Seton Hall as well. When PJ Carlesimo was the coach. I used to listen sometimes to their radio station during their losing years. I heard a lot of complaints about the losing and the players, but I don't recall all of this hate for the coach.  :knuppel2: And this was way before his team made to the 1989 Championship game.

I have long since come to the conclusion that the best way to enjoy St. John's basketball, is to not listen to most of their fans, if I did, I would never follow the team again. :'(

Poison

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 09:50:45 AM »
I think the players are and have always been playing hard, but they haven't always been playing smart. This year, the team is playing smarter basketball. The past 3 years is on the staff whether you point to the roster, the depth or the system. 
Personally, I think it's our system. Last year, we had a roster of experienced players who played like freshman. they could't run the break. They didn't move the ball like a team that had been together for years. That is ALL coaching. Now, the guys are so experienced, that they are more comfortable passing, even if it's not part of the system that coach teaches. Harrison, Greene and Jordan can all get their own shot this season. Most of the time when they excel it's because they've been getting their own shots. Mix in better passing, and some of our opponents have down years, and you've got a better St.John's team. 

jr49

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
The talent level has not been there the last 3 years. These kids coming in with no upper class leadership just were not good enough to get it done. Those early recruits were not Duke or Kentucky type players. If one or two were joining an established team, their talent level might have come on earlier. Lets hope this years team can over come the lack of depth and height. Unless coach Steve finds some transfers and JC players it going to be some rough going. For right now, Go Storm.

desco80

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 11:22:56 AM »
:uglystupid2: Some things never change. I come to this forum when the team is losing, I feel and hear hatred for the coach, and people want him gone. I come to the forum when the team is winning, I feel and hear hatred for the coach, and people want him gone. I have a feeling that if I am ever lucky enough to live long enough (almost 65) to see St. John's win the tournament, and become national champions, I'll come here and experience more hatred for the coach, and some will want him gone. :knuppel2: When I used to live in Manhattan & Brooklyn, I was a big St. John's fan of course, but also followed Seton Hall as well. When PJ Carlesimo was the coach. I used to listen sometimes to their radio station during their losing years. I heard a lot of complaints about the losing and the players, but I don't recall all of this hate for the coach. :knuppel2: And this was way before his team made to the 1989 Championship game. I have long since come to the conclusion that the best way to enjoy St. John's basketball, is to not listen to most of their fans, if I did, I would never follow the team again. :'(
Did it ever dawn on you that maybe the hatred for the coach is warranted?   And that's why you hear it whether the team is winning or losing?
Wouldn't it be hypocritical if I only talked about Lavin's faults when we lose? 
And for the record, PJ is a pretty bright basketball guy, maybe that's why SH fans didn't bash him?   Just a guess.

desco80

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 11:25:07 AM »
The talent level has not been there the last 3 years. These kids coming in with no upper class leadership just were not good enough to get it done. Those early recruits were not Duke or Kentucky type players. If one or two were joining an established team, their talent level might have come on earlier. Lets hope this years team can over come the lack of depth and height. Unless coach Steve finds some transfers and JC players it going to be some rough going. For right now, Go Storm.

That's nonsense.
Last year's team had sweet 16-type talent.  

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 11:29:35 AM »
That's nonsense. Last year's team had sweet 16-type talent.

They had talent but never played as a team from what I could see.

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 11:37:46 AM »
That's nonsense. Last year's team had sweet 16-type talent.

I agree, last year they thought they were better than than were, unfortunately their opponents weren't buying into it. They never seemed to get out of that funk, which made it frustrating to watch. Because left such a bad taste, it worries that they may fall back into believing their hype this year. Hopefully maturity and frustration will drive them this year. Let's enjoy it, because I suspect even when they lose they will go down with a fight.

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »
Hatrid for Lavin is just tottally unwarranted. Criticize, when justified, but hatred? It's irrational. There is even one post above that argues the staff should get no credit for the way the team is playing , because the quality of play can simply be attributed to the team being more experienced. Some of this stuff is just nuts.