Hardy vs. Harrison

• 26 replies
Hardy vs. Harrison
« on: December 18, 2014, 05:19:34 PM »
It's probably a little too early in the season to do this but:

Who would you take as your starting two guard if you could only have one. A senior Dwight Hardy, or a senior D'Angelo Harrison?

I know Harrison is fan favorite around here, but I remember Hardy was amazing that year and as of right now, I'm going with Hardy. I remember feeling very confident whenever the ball was in his hands.

Marillac

Re: Hardy vs. Harrison
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 05:20:56 PM »
I loved Hardy, but Harrison by a wide margin.  His defense and rebounding are exponentially better than what Hardy could offer. It would have been something to see them both together. 

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:21:32 PM »
Accidentally posted topic twice. If one of the mods could delete the other one that would be great.

DFF6

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:27:36 PM »
Really tough call.  Without consulting the stats, I'd pick Hardy, too, but by a razor thin margin, and I could easily flip toward Harrison by year end, depending on how he ends up.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
Really hoping D'lo gets a moment like Hardy's against Pitt. 

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »
It'd be nice to have a few of these legends play together. 
My vote is for Harrison.  Hardy was awesome, but we need Harrison's rebounding, defense, and hustle.  Hardy was, at best, average on defense and a sub-par rebounder.

boo3

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »
I'd go Harrison.. I love the emotion he shows on the court. Will end up a top 5 Johnnie for me...

Mullin
Berry
Boo
Sealy
Harrison
6th man- Felipe
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:08:44 PM by boo3 »

Poison

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 06:20:45 PM »
I'd go Harrison.. I love the emotion he shows on the court. Will end up a top 5 Johnnie for me... Mullin Berry Boo Sealy Harrison 6th man- Felipe
Love how Harrison is playing, and Felipe did put together a strong senior year, but guys like Bootsy, Barkley and Hatten were also excellent players, and I think Hatten, for example was incredible. We hoped that Lopez would be incredible, but he wasn't. 
Harrison has matured into a leader, and calming influence on the court. He's put together one of the best 4 year careers in STJ history. I hope he passes #3 all time in scoring. 

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »
I went with Hardy but lets revisit this in march

boo3

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
Barkley and Hatten, both of whom I loved, were here and gone so quickly..  Berry and Boo were only here two years also, but I have them rated higher than those.  

Felipe had a great college career.  His problem was he couldn't live up to ridiculous expectations.. That wasn't his fault though..  I liked the kid and rooted for him like crazy.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »
Agree Boo with your Felipe comments. Pretty hard to live up to the next Michael Jordan standard and cover of SI before first college game.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 06:43:31 PM »
I'd go Harrison.. I love the emotion he shows on the court. Will end up a top 5 Johnnie for me... Mullin Berry Boo Sealy Harrison 6th man- Felipe
Love how Harrison is playing, and Felipe did put together a strong senior year, but guys like Bootsy, Barkley and Hatten were also excellent players, and I think Hatten, for example was incredible. We hoped that Lopez would be incredible, but he wasn't. Harrison has matured into a leader, and calming influence on the court. He's put together one of the best 4 year careers in STJ history. I hope he passes #3 all time in scoring.

Lopez would have looked a lot better on the Barkley teams. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:44:22 PM by Marillac »

desco80

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 07:02:55 PM »
Very very tough decision, but I'm going with Harrison.
as Marillac referred to, he does more aside from scoring than Hardy did.  D'Lo plays better D and is a much better rebounder.
I do think Hardy was a better pure shooter though. 

redslope

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »
Too Early to determine as statistically they virtually mirror one another (except in rebounding) but the stats of Dwight are for a full season including the tough BE schedule and a lot of Road games in tough BE arenas.  Dangelo's stats for 9 games include one road game and none of the BE rivalries.  This is a more appropriate question to poll after the year end.  Until such time I cast my vote for DH ;)

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »
Harrison for everything he went through, breaking records and being a 4yr player. It's been fun watching him and hopefully he can end his career on a legendary note. 
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 08:04:18 PM »
Saw on Redmen the hardy basket vs Pitt . Saw it 100 times still awsome. When I was linked to YouTube . They had the game 98 game vs Duke . Took a day a sick day off from work this week and rewathched the game.
Best player I have seen at St. John's was artest.  Almost forgot how good he was . He dominated that game more then Harrison , hardy, or hatten. He was that good. He was that tough. He was that smart. Wish he came back for one more year.
Reggie jessie was also mentioned this week. Guy was a great 6/7 player. He got exposed when more was counted on him.

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »
I really cant call it. I think it is easy to lean towards the current guy but honestly dont know. Down one with the ball I want Hardy. The rest of the game I want Harrison. And thats not a knock on Dlo, who I think has a bad rep in terms of late game situations. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 08:06:58 PM »
Saw on Redmen the hardy basket vs Pitt . Saw it 100 times still awsome. When I was linked to YouTube . They had the game 98 game vs Duke . Took a day a sick day off from work this week and rewathched the game. Best player I have seen at St. John's was artest. Almost forgot how good he was . He dominated that game more then Harrison , hardy, or hatten. He was that good. He was that tough. He was that smart. Wish he came back for one more year. Reggie jessie was also mentioned this week. Guy was a great 6/7 player. He got exposed when more was counted on him.

Im gonna have to check that out
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 12:16:32 AM »
Saw on Redmen the hardy basket vs Pitt . Saw it 100 times still awsome. When I was linked to YouTube . They had the game 98 game vs Duke . Took a day a sick day off from work this week and rewathched the game. Best player I have seen at St. John's was artest. Almost forgot how good he was . He dominated that game more then Harrison , hardy, or hatten. He was that good. He was that tough. He was that smart. Wish he came back for one more year. Reggie jessie was also mentioned this week. Guy was a great 6/7 player. He got exposed when more was counted on him.
Jessie regressed as a senior. That was the beginning of the end for Jarvis. Jessie should have developed more ways to contribute, bit instead his worst season was his last. 

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »
Hardy was awesome his senior year and was a beast on the offensive end. I think he slightly edges Harrison as an efficient scorer (not looking at the stats)
Harrison is a definitely a better overall player though. Both are among my favorite 3 or so Johnnies in my lifetime.