Long Beach St.

• 79 replies

Poison

Re: Long Beach St.
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2014, 11:22:19 PM »
Agree Baldi. He is generally doing what a PG should do. I just wish he would take the wide open 3 or jumper on occasion when it is there.
He shot it off the side of the backboard in the second half. I've been saying for years, I think when he gets into the lane good things happen. With the exception of the first play of the game, where he threw it right to a LBS guard, he played very well. He's not comfortable shooting a 3, but he could take a 10 footer or drop a floater. Dom isn't comfortable shooting a 3 either, and when he finally sucked it up and took one you could see why. Still, he's learned to get comfortable with that step back 10 footer. Branch needs to find one way to score with a jumper of some kind. He does that, he'll be ready for the BE. 

redslope

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2014, 11:24:03 PM »
when I walked into CA and heard Sheed had tummy problems, I almost lost my cookies.  What defense we played; very good team help and talking on the floor unlike last year when there seemed to be little communication.  Holding a team to under 50 for 2 consecutive nights--wow!  End of game team was really beaming; Dangelo looks like he is putting personal success behind team success-he wants to win first and foremost.  truly a TEAM victory

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2014, 11:33:07 PM »
Agree Baldi. He is generally doing what a PG should do. I just wish he would take the wide open 3 or jumper on occasion when it is there.
He shot it off the side of the backboard in the second half. I've been saying for years, I think when he gets into the lane good things happen. With the exception of the first play of the game, where he threw it right to a LBS guard, he played very well. He's not comfortable shooting a 3, but he could take a 10 footer or drop a floater. Dom isn't comfortable shooting a 3 either, and when he finally sucked it up and took one you could see why. Still, he's learned to get comfortable with that step back 10 footer. Branch needs to find one way to score with a jumper of some kind. He does that, he'll be ready for the BE.

Branch is a decent shooter within fifteen feet off the dribble. He is not a catch and shoot guy at all. He is very good at going to his left but that is literally all he does. Cant remember the last time I saw him go down the right side of the floor for a bucket. All in all he makes us better, there was that 5 or so minute stretch in the first where lavin went without him and the offense got stagnant, yes Dlo was out but Phil just cant play the point. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2014, 11:48:24 PM »
Maybe it takes seniors to understand how to play the match up zone?

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2014, 11:54:06 PM »
If this game was boring I hope they continue to bore the living $h#t out of me for the rest of the season! Rotating D has been outstanding last 2 games. Tonite we be a fairly talented team that is battle tested this season by 17 without maybe our second best player. I'll more than take it, I am very happy with it.

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2014, 12:08:35 AM »
Surprised at lack of discussion about the game. Everyone shopping? 

Good win for the boys. Gutted it out and got stops when they needed it. It was very helpful that LB State looked gassed from the tip. I know it's unpopular to say anything negative about Greene since he's playing better as of late but it really makes me furious when he takes long two's. He has to lead the country in toes on the line. 

Obekpa was a man on both ends tonight. He really put the team on his back tonight. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2014, 12:15:09 AM »
Surprised at lack of discussion about the game. Everyone shopping? Good win for the boys. Gutted it out and got stops when they needed it. It was very helpful that LB State looked gassed from the tip. I know it's unpopular to say anything negative about Greene since he's playing better as of late but it really makes me furious when he takes long two's. He has to lead the country in toes on the line. Obekpa was a man on both ends tonight. He really put the team on his back tonight.

Judging from the size of the crowd I think everyone was out in Queens. Defense continues to be stellar, good game tonight.

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2014, 12:16:25 AM »
Look at the Fordham, SMC and tonight, there's a trend going on here.
We're a second half team. Which is all good, but if we ever find iot in the 1st half, it's over at halftime.

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2014, 12:16:35 AM »
Great job not fouling tonight. Only gave up 6 FTs. No easy points when the other team can't hit an outside shot.

Good sound defense!

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2014, 12:41:21 AM »
Surprised at lack of discussion about the game. Everyone shopping? Good win for the boys. Gutted it out and got stops when they needed it. It was very helpful that LB State looked gassed from the tip. I know it's unpopular to say anything negative about Greene since he's playing better as of late but it really makes me furious when he takes long two's. He has to lead the country in toes on the line. Obekpa was a man on both ends tonight. He really put the team on his back tonight.
Judging from the size of the crowd I think everyone was out in Queens. Defense continues to be stellar, good game tonight.

Defiantly nice to see the crowd give the team standing ovation before the game when the announcer said the 17th ranked in the nation. Hopefully this can translate well to MSG, and even maybe hearing positives on the tecruting trail.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2014, 02:51:42 AM »
Was def shocked at how big the crowd was a couple days before Christmas, Idk why but I expected a light one. I brought three extra friends along who don't have season tickets for the $5 ugly sweater seats. One of them even won a tshirt. Great night in Queens!

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2014, 03:09:14 AM »
Look at the Fordham, SMC and tonight, there's a trend going on here.
We're a second half team. Which is all good, but if we ever find iot in the 1st half, it's over at halftime.

The differce is that in 2nd half Lavin sticks with the lineup. Only subbing branch. In first half he tries to keep guys out of foul trouble so you'll see jones, Stewart, and now jdl. Tonight he only subbed in 2nd half with 2 minutes to go. (Mostly due to none of our guys being in any fouls trouble.)

Foad

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2014, 10:31:22 AM »
Thoughts on the Long Beach State game: http://www.bigeastboards.com

Poison

« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2014, 10:34:29 AM »
Look at the Fordham, SMC and tonight, there's a trend going on here. We're a second half team. Which is all good, but if we ever find iot in the 1st half, it's over at halftime.
The differce is that in 2nd half Lavin sticks with the lineup. Only subbing branch. In first half he tries to keep guys out of foul trouble so you'll see jones, Stewart, and now jdl. Tonight he only subbed in 2nd half with 2 minutes to go. (Mostly due to none of our guys being in any fouls trouble.)
Lavin did well in the second half again. Credit where it's due. 

Moose

« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2014, 10:59:02 AM »
Props to the one student behind the basket near the SJU bench who was making comments that made Jim Burr react on a couple of occasions.
Remember who broke the Slice news

jsk

« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2014, 11:03:55 AM »
Defense was the key. Critical during an awkward offensive game. The Team gutted out an important win and confidence builder. Positive Team chemistry is visibly present.
Wouldn't want to see this type of setting against a higher quality Team though. .Kudos to the Team and Coaches for the Win. ::)

« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »

Foolish to not include Dom's 7 assists, no? Doing so was pretty pedestrian. 

Foad

« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2014, 04:22:56 PM »

Thanks for reading.

« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2014, 05:33:38 PM »
Thanks for reading.
Always

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2014, 01:47:58 AM »
Jim Burr should not be allowed in the gym! He loves to call offensive fouls on SJU and wipe out baskets. Call on Dlo was horrible. Wish this guy would retire already!