St Marys - Player of the Game

• 35 replies

desco80

St Marys - Player of the Game
« on: December 20, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »
I'm going with dangelo, because for awhile he was the only one able to score.
But Dom played very well in the second half.

Poison

Re: St Marys - Player of the Game
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:53:39 AM »
It's Dom. He stopped Waldow when Obekpa couldn't. Obekpa should be buying Dom's lunch today. 

ras

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »
Dom gets POG. DLO had another solid game.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 11:28:16 AM »
Jordan was a disaster. Made a couple of nice plays in the second half, but he was awful for most of the game. He's got a lot of work to do before he's ready to play at a higher level. Hopefully, he grows up and realizes that. 

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 11:30:47 AM »
Without Pointer's D on Waldow, SJU loses.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »
We lose without Harrison or Dom. I went with Dom, but Harrison was just as important. 

Moose

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »
3rd vote should be JDR
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 11:48:32 AM »
Defensively, Dom was great in the 2nd half fronting the big kid..but .backed by CO.....in the first half CO fronted the big kid and Dom was late on many made baskets to back CO up.....overall Dom was great in 2nd half.....when do people start talking about D'Lo in the mix for National POY?

paultzman

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
Defensively, Dom was great in the 2nd half fronting the big kid..but .backed by CO.....in the first half CO fronted the big kid and Dom was late on many made baskets to back CO up.....overall Dom was great in 2nd half.....when do people start talking about D'Lo in the mix for National POY?
When Okafor is kidnapped. Perhaps BE POY is more appropriate desire.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
Obekpa shouldn't need help from Dom, because he's faster and far more experienced defending in the post. Waldow took Obekpa apart in the first half. 

hnk

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »
Backside help is a given in most defensive schemes.

hnk

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 12:26:02 PM »
Paultzman....I specifically said "in the mix"

hnk

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »
10 games in no one owns POY.

TONYD3

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 12:26:53 PM »
Obekpa shouldn't need help from Dom, because he's faster and far more experienced defending in the post. Waldow took Obekpa apart in the first half.
I have said before that Obekpa is overrated. He is much improved this year. But an elite defender he never was. Before I get killed again for saying that rewatch the 1st half. Waldow didn't do that to Creighton. Not saying he isn't valuable but he is elite at nothing. Guarding the other teams worst player and helping is important, but not draft worthy. 
Xavier's big man and Smith from Georgetown are even better. Feel better that we have Delarosa.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 12:32:13 PM »
A nice run to the sweet 16 and CO and Sheed back next year with Diallo, Sampson, Freeman and Samir would point us in the right direction. Hey i can dream!

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
10 games in no one owns POY.

Harrison is the clear player of  the year. The team isn't 9-1  without the contributions of Dom, CO, Greene, Sheed, Branch individually, but without Harrison we would have at least 4 losses.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:36:06 PM by STJ11Redmen »

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 01:22:35 PM »
Not saying he isn't valuable but he is elite at nothing.

He is an elite shot blocker.  It's not even debatable.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
I have said before that Obekpa is overrated. He is much improved this year. But an elite defender he never was. Before I get killed again for saying that rewatch the 1st half. Waldow didn't do that to Creighton. Not saying he isn't valuable but he is elite at nothing. Guarding the other teams worst player and helping is important, but not draft worthy. Xavier's big man and Smith from Georgetown are even better. Feel better that we have Delarosa.
I don't disagree, but he's an elite shot blocker. That much really shouldn't be debated. He's much improved overall, but he's still raw. 

Moose

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »
He is an elite shot blocker. It's not even debatable.

He needs to play ground.  Not every shot needs to be blocked.  Putting your hands up and bodying the player is often enough.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 01:38:41 PM »
He is an elite shot blocker. It's not even debatable.
He needs to play ground. Not every shot needs to be blocked. Putting your hands up and bodying the player is often enough.
I don't disagree, but that's not what I said. He's an elite shot blocker. Other parts of his defensive effort suffer because he's thinking block the shot every time.