St Marys - Player of the Game

• 35 replies
Re: St Marys - Player of the Game
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »
Sir'Dom is bae now.

Honorable mention to D & Joey.

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »
Obekpa is an elite paint protector, not just a shot blocker. He often alters the shot even if he doesn't block it. He does struggle against guys who put their back to him. But he is an elite defender, not just shot blocker. 

desco80

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »
3rd vote should be JDR
You're kidding right?   I thought he was awful Moose.    His inability to defend the pick and roll cost us at least 4 baskets.  

desco80

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »
We lose without Harrison or Dom. I went with Dom, but Harrison was just as important.

I think that's a very fair take on the game.  We needed both to win, reasonable minds could choose either for POTG. 

Moose

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
3rd vote should be JDR
You're kidding right? I thought he was awful Moose. His inability to defend the pick and roll cost us at least 4 baskets.

Not sure what game you were watching respectfully.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
3rd vote should be JDR
You're kidding right? I thought he was awful Moose. His inability to defend the pick and roll cost us at least 4 baskets.
Eh, it happens.   People disagree.  
What did you see from Joey yesterday that impressed you?

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 03:27:07 PM »
We lose without Pointer or Harrison.  Harrison took Carter completely out of the game and Dom played nearly flawless.  My vote, yet again, goes to Dom because I unfairly expect Harrison do exactly what he did. 

What a great move by Lav to put Dom on the 6'10 Waldo to deny and leave CO back to protect the rim.  Waldo was really crafty and started to get a level of comfort with CO on him.

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 03:38:53 PM »
I'm not sure I've ever seen a player hustle as hard as Joey De La Rosa was last night.

Moose

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 03:41:53 PM »
3rd vote should be JDR
Eh, it happens. People disagree. What did you see from Joey yesterday that impressed you?

Not one person here expected him to contribute.  He came in and held his own for someone who hasn't played a competitive basketball game in over a year.  He's vocal on the defensive end and barks out assignments.  

I have to rewatch to see exactly how many times the Whining Baby Waldo had his way with him but I don't think it was many.  I remember more long drawn out possessions where his defense was very much helpful. He stays on the ground bodies his opponent and puts his hand in the air.  Could he have boarded a big better?  Sure.  

He was inserted over Christian and Amar and yes we were down after 1 he was not the issue.  Waldo's points were coming way before he was inserted and our ice cold shooting attributed to that.  He is there to spell Chris and not make us worse and he did that and some last night IMO.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »
3rd vote should be JDR
Eh, it happens. People disagree. What did you see from Joey yesterday that impressed you?
Not one person here expected him to contribute. He came in and held his own for someone who hasn't played a competitive basketball game in over a year. He's vocal on the defensive end and barks out assignments. I have to rewatch to see exactly how many times the Whining Baby Waldo had his way with him but I don't think it was many. I remember more long drawn out possessions where his defense was very much helpful. He stays on the ground bodies his opponent and puts his hand in the air. Could he have boarded a big better? Sure. He was inserted over Christian and Amar and yes we were down after 1 he was not the issue. Waldo's points were coming way before he was inserted and our ice cold shooting attributed to that. He is there to spell Chris and not make us worse and he did that and some last night IMO.
Agree fully

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 03:52:13 PM »
Obekpa is an elite paint protector, not just a shot blocker. He often alters the shot even if he doesn't block it. He does struggle against guys who put their back to him. But he is an elite defender, not just shot blocker.
ok an elite rim protector. But not an elite defender. As for Joey, played against a very good player and almost gave us a stalemate. Not bad. Is he even on scholarship?

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 03:57:27 PM »
ok an elite rim protector. But not an elite defender. As for Joey, played against a very good player and almost gave us a stalemate. Not bad. Is he even on scholarship?

Disagree. You can be an elite defender without mastering every aspect of defense. There are not many players in the country i'd want on defense over Obekpa. 

TONYD3

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
Disagree. You can be an elite defender without mastering every aspect of defense. There are not many players in the country i'd want on defense over Obekpa.
I don't know why I am aruging this . I agree with you guys. In college think he is very valuable. His help defense is great. Just don't see how it translates to NBA. Wish he stays.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »
3rd vote should be JDR
Not one person here expected him to contribute. He came in and held his own for someone who hasn't played a competitive basketball game in over a year. He's vocal on the defensive end and barks out assignments. I have to rewatch to see exactly how many times the Whining Baby Waldo had his way with him but I don't think it was many. I remember more long drawn out possessions where his defense was very much helpful. He stays on the ground bodies his opponent and puts his hand in the air. Could he have boarded a big better? Sure. He was inserted over Christian and Amar and yes we were down after 1 he was not the issue. Waldo's points were coming way before he was inserted and our ice cold shooting attributed to that. He is there to spell Chris and not make us worse and he did that and some last night IMO.

Well said.  There were a few of us optimists expecting him to give us just what he did due to his size alone.
I'm not sure how effective he'll be against smaller more athletic centers, but he should be able to give us a few quality minutes against big boys like Waldo.  He'll never fill the stat sheet, but him and Dom complement each other nicely.  

He didn't surrender an inch to Waldo in position and that just threw an entirely different look at him.  I don't think we'll see many 12-minute games out of him that will result in wins, but it is nice to have that size off the bench.  It says a lot to me that Lav put him in over both Alibegovic and Jones.

I wish he has his brother's skill set.

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »
I thought Joey played solid defense and showed more hustle than anyone else on the floor while he was out there. I didn't notice any crucial lapses. I was impressed. 

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 01:58:05 AM »
Agree with the positive comments on Joey D (and the Starlighters)! Dom POG, Dlo second. Why even list Phil and Jordan who shot a combined 3-20 and almost double handidly shot us out of the game?