Marcus Hatten

• 17 replies

Moose

Marcus Hatten
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:42:31 PM »
Good to see SJU admin on top of things........................

With Marcus Hatten in attendance not even a mention.  But plenty of time for Lipscomb to not be able to name 7 items found in your fridge.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

Re: Marcus Hatten
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 11:08:33 PM »
He's only the best player they've had since Malik Sealy. 

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:37:20 PM »
That's just wrong.

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:59:56 AM »

Take it easy big fella

Poison

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 08:06:48 AM »
Take it easy big fella
Not even a contest. 

Foad

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:24 AM »
Take it easy big fella
Not even a contest.

Top half dozen in my lifetime.

desco80

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »
That's just wrong.
If not Hatten, then who is the best since Malik?
Jason ?
Artest?
Hardy?
DJ?
Dangelo?

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »
Artest.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »
That's just wrong.
If not Hatten, then who is the best since Malik? Jason ? Artest? Hardy? DJ? Dangelo?
D'Angelo is great. He's nowhere near as good as Hatten. Different level. 
DJ was a great role player. He doesn't belong in this conversation. He's in the Willie Glass, Jason Buchanon, Ty Grant group, Hardy was great as a senior, but if he played like that from day one, he woulda started. Hatten took them to the NCAAs by himself. He won the nit by himself. 
Who's Jason? 

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »
Take it easy big fella
Not even a contest.

40% for his career in FG% and 29% for 3's...
He scored a lot of point but he took A LOT of shots...   he average 19 shots a game one season...
Being the best player on teams that were not strong is not that much to talk about...
Artest, Barkley & Harkless were all 1st Round NBA draft picks and while Hatten put up stats, I would take all three of those guys before him.

desco80

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »
That's just wrong.
If not Hatten, then who is the best since Malik? Jason ? Artest? Hardy? DJ? Dangelo?
D'Angelo is great. He's nowhere near as good as Hatten. Different level. DJ was a great role player. He doesn't belong in this conversation. He's in the Willie Glass, Jason Buchanon, Ty Grant group, Hardy was great as a senior, but if he played like that from day one, he woulda started. Hatten took them to the NCAAs by himself. He won the nit by himself. Who's Jason?

Williams was before Sealy, my mistake. 

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 03:09:12 PM »
That's just wrong.
D'Angelo is great. He's nowhere near as good as Hatten. Different level. DJ was a great role player. He doesn't belong in this conversation. He's in the Willie Glass, Jason Buchanon, Ty Grant group, Hardy was great as a senior, but if he played like that from day one, he woulda started. Hatten took them to the NCAAs by himself. He won the nit by himself. Who's Jason?

Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ubVvouc_0

In 2003 Vs. Duke at the Garden.

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 02:02:39 AM »
That's just wrong.
Remember this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ubVvouc_0 In 2003 Vs. Duke at the Garden.

I'll never forget it.

Also it reminded me that if you try and take it seriously an NIT run can be fun.

QuanMan

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 09:53:58 AM »
Found this article recently, a step back in time. Hard to believe this was over 16 years ago. This was one of my favorite Johnnies teams, Andre Stanley started as a walk-on. Crazy that Jarvis had made the tourney 3/4 years heading into this game:

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/13/sports/college-basketball-st-john-s-hatten-finds-his-inspiration.html
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 12:37:14 PM »
Found this article recently, a step back in time. Hard to believe this was over 16 years ago. This was one of my favorite Johnnies teams, Andre Stanley started as a walk-on. Crazy that Jarvis had made the tourney 3/4 years heading into this game:

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/13/sports/college-basketball-st-john-s-hatten-finds-his-inspiration.html

Hatten was always a team oriented player. He wasn’t trying to hog the ball. They relied on him to do more than any single player has ever done for a St.John’s Team.

Jarvis called it “creative freelancing”. That was his way of letting us know that we had a better chance to win with Hatten trying to score through a double team than dishing the ball off to Keita, Diakite, King or Glover.

Unfortunately, that was true.

TONYD3

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »

Hatten was always a team oriented player. He wasn’t trying to hog the ball. They relied on him to do more than any single player has ever done for a St.John’s Team.

Jarvis called it “creative freelancing”. That was his way of letting us know that we had a better chance to win with Hatten trying to score through a double team than dishing the ball off to Keita, Diakite, King or Glover.

NIT run was not expected but awesome. They can’t take away that experience. I was sick for the duke game, from memory not sure if I was going to go because I was so disgusted. Watched at home with the flu. (Almost stayed home this year also.)
Wisconsin game- I worked as a waiter- only served tables during timeouts. Those teams played hard but they were tough to watch- so bad at basketball- but we won more then we lost.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 10:34:53 AM »

NIT run was not expected but awesome. They can’t take away that experience. I was sick for the duke game, from memory not sure if I was going to go because I was so disgusted. Watched at home with the flu. (Almost stayed home this year also.)
Wisconsin game- I worked as a waiter- only served tables during timeouts. Those teams played hard but they were tough to watch- so bad at basketball- but we won more then we lost.

I went to the Texas Tech game at MSG. NIT or not, both teams were playing NCAA caliber basketball at that point, and this game mattered to everyone in it. Hatten won the game on a late steal. He was such a special player for us.

Just imagine if he had another guard that he could count on every night.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 12:14:42 PM »

I went to the Texas Tech game at MSG. NIT or not, both teams were playing NCAA caliber basketball at that point, and this game mattered to everyone in it. Hatten won the game on a late steal. He was such a special player for us.

Just imagine if he had another guard that he could count on every night.

He could count on Ingram taking some awful shots.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.