Duke Game

• 213 replies
Re: Duke Game
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2015, 05:08:45 PM »
Rysheed disappeared in the 2nd half.  He only had 2 points.  With D Lo hurting, we need him to carry the team.  He did in the first half, but was a no show offensively in the 2nd.

desco80

« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »
Marshall fuccin plumlee changed the game.

Having a second big kills us.   Gonzaga did that in the second half too.   

Obviously the guys played hard, and I thought coach had one of his better games.  The team was prepared and started off well.

Depth continues to hurt us, but no surprise there.  I do think we got tired down the stretch.

Duke is far from a 1 and done tournament team.  They have the best center in the country and three guards who can beat you in Jones, Cook, Sulamon.  And they've already beaten Wisconsin and Louisville.   This duke team is a top 5 team.   Better than gonzga, or at least when we played them.  And better than villanova.

The refs didn't bother me today. 

This was a painful loss.  We'll look back and see this as a good loss, but today it feels like we choked.  Because, well, we did.  We gave it away.
That's not to take anything away from their effort, but we had this game.  We don't know how to win consistently yet, and were a power forward away from having a complete rotation.

« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
Marshall fuccin plumlee changed the game.

Having a second big kills us.   Gonzaga did that in the second half too.   

Obviously the guys played hard, and I thought coach had one of his better games.  The team was prepared and started off well.

Depth continues to hurt us, but no surprise there.  I do think we got tired down the stretch.

Duke is far from a 1 and done tournament team.  They have the best center in the country and three guards who can beat you in Jones, Cook, Sulamon.  And they've already beaten Wisconsin and Louisville.   This duke team is a top 5 team.   Better than gonzga, or at least when we played them.  And better than villanova.

The refs didn't bother me today. 

This was a painful loss.  We'll look back and see this as a good loss, but today it feels like we choked.  Because, well, we did.  We gave it away.
That's not to take anything away from their effort, but we had this game.  We don't know how to win consistently yet, and were a power forward away from having a complete rotation.

The refs weren't bad overall but definitely changed the momentum of the game with the inadvertent whistle. The foul of a shooter with their foot sticking out is bs. I don't know why that is never addressed by refs.

Foad

« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2015, 05:44:05 PM »

cjfish

« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2015, 05:57:38 PM »
Its been a brutally called game. No doubt about it but there were points that St Johns took it to Duke. We actually got the benefit of the doubt with the whistles all game long and I usually go to the "Refs screwed us!" well often in a tough loss. De La Rosa once again dodged a clear flagrant foul(Did one vs Zaga), he plays like a goon out there, it's gotta stop.

Duke's a 1 and done team, maybe they get to the field of 32 if they are lucky. Would take a monumental performance by Okafor single handedly or if they are matched up against a smaller team that can't bang inside. St Johns just showed everyone how you beat them, cut the lanes to Okafor off and let the guards try and beat you outside. Cook is a good player but that's about it. Once Okafor gets to touch/dominate the ball, that's when he bails them out. Can't wait to see which mid major draws them this year.

Agree that refs were fine.  Loved JoeyDs foul, simply a good hard foul going for the ball, not nearly a goon play.  a Goon play is when you don't even go for the ball, undercut someone or just level a guy.  THe stare was a little overdone but, hey, send a message..

The Coach K tribute game that was played today has finally ended, I think I have seen enough Coach K montages/highlights every 3 minutes to call it a day. Curse the two ACC teams that beat them that put me through this!

St Johns is a fringe NCAA tourney team, maybe final 4 in if they are lucky. They are severely overmatched in the coaching department, this might be Lavin's last year. This is a senior laden team, no excuses. Unacceptable.

Gave the game right to Duke with sloppy uptempo passing, uncontrolled dribbling and missed open shots. freaking pathetic. So many unforced errors, such undisciplined nonsense and garbage. Can't wait for Lavin to go, this was a game they had. Same with DePaul. Same with Butler. Harrison has been awful this past 1-2 weeks, we lack depth as well. We've got next to nothing coming in after this year, its going to be brutal.

I actually expected much more from this team, what a shame. They might need to run the table to get in come BE Tourney time, and no shot in hell do they have the composure or guts to do that.

« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2015, 06:07:54 PM »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »
For some reason my comment did not post.  JoeyDs fould was by no means goonish, going for the ball, good hard foul   The stare a bit much but sending the message.  Why didn't Lavin counter plumlee with a bit of Amar?  Been playing well, rebounds OK and is big.  Team played well, with Dlo hurting it was more than any of us expected.  NOt impressed with Ks coaching in this one, should have gone zone a lot but he probably doesn't practice it.  When up 10 with 10 to go I had a bad feeling, depth, fatigue and the curse of Redmen name change all had me thinking negative.
t   

« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2015, 06:35:39 PM »
I would not have minded seeing Amar in there with CO, with Dom moving down to the 3 for a few minutes.  I have to think that they felt Dlo's calf would stiffen up if he sat.  Otherwise, why play him the entire game.

« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2015, 06:58:43 PM »
We lost because we have no bench

« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2015, 07:05:30 PM »
We lost because we have no bench

Yep, same reason we lost to DePaul and Butler.

boo3

« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »
Refs also gave us three points at the end of the first half... It evened out with the phantom whistle.

« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2015, 07:20:18 PM »
O points, 1 rebound, 1 assist and 2 fouls off the bench.

« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2015, 07:52:40 PM »
Some former players at the game on both sides. Mullin boys,Felipe. A ton of former Duke players. Mason Plumlee and Lance Thomas were on line in front of me at concession.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:53:25 PM by Marco Baldi »

goredmen

« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2015, 07:55:14 PM »
Lavin's post game comments about this game showing that this team is heading in the right direction infuriate anybody else?

« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2015, 07:56:31 PM »
Lavin's post game comments about this game showing that this team is heading in the right direction infuriate anybody else?

Lmao. Why do you listen if it infuriates you??? As soon as you see him turn it off!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:56:47 PM by stjohnnie75 »

« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2015, 07:58:54 PM »
Some former players at the game on both sides. Mullin boys,Felipe. A ton of former Duke players. Mason Plumlee and Lance Thomas were on line in front of me at concession.

Did they all stay for the Iona game?

« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2015, 08:07:58 PM »

Did they all stay for the Iona game?

Not too many did. Was more there than I expected though. All should have stayed and watch the best 2 players in NY light up the Garden
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:08:44 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »
I stayed and there was no one there.  Anyone doubting the big east s staying power is way off.  I am very happy with the new 10 team league and think it will be a nice niche going forward.  Not the the acc, big ten etc but a nice basketball focused league with good $$ to sustain coaching staffs to recruit.  Watching that second game  with no one there made me realize just how lucky sju is to have this conference.

« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2015, 09:04:14 PM »
Iona game should have been played first. Piss poor planning

« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
Iona game should have been played first. Piss poor planning

Or it should have been played in New Rochelle.  No one stayed for the St. Francis doubleheader last Wednesday either.  Unless it is four quality teams, it doesn't work.