Duke Game

• 213 replies
Re: Duke Game
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2015, 09:19:31 PM »
I had to watch from a hall/restaurant because of a family obligation, but a ton of friends who were at the game said it was the most electric college basketball atmosphere they've been to in a while.  Said it had the buzz of a final 4 game.  This is precisely why the metropolitan area college basketball scene and the Big East needs St. John's to get back to being a regular tourney team.  Other locals like the Hall and Rutgers will never generate anywhere near the buzz that we saw today.

Shame we couldn't pull it out.  Need to get Harrison healthy.  He is obviously a different player the last 3 games since he's been hurt.  Prior to that he was playing terrific.  If we play with the same kind of tenacity and energy we showed the majority of this game, we will win plenty of the remaining BE games.

« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2015, 09:49:51 PM »
Would like to have seen Branch get a few  more minutes especially when Duke made their big run. We seemed to be in "panic mode" and Branch may have calmed things down, made a good pass and stopped the run. He did that in the first half.

« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2015, 09:53:36 PM »
Congrats to Phil Greene IV on passing William "Beaver" Smith, who had a real way with the ladies, to move into 44th on the all-time St. John's scoring list.

« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2015, 09:54:32 PM »
Would like to have seen Branch get a few  more minutes especially when Duke made their big run. We seemed to be in "panic mode" and Branch may have calmed things down, made a good pass and stopped the run. He did that in the first half.

Why was Dom bringing the ball up when Branch was in the game?

« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2015, 09:58:49 PM »
Congrats to Phil Greene IV on passing William "Beaver" Smith, who had a real way with the ladies, to move into 44th on the all-time St. John's scoring list.
But hated when he missed games with uninary tract infections. Did love me some Beav thou.  :)

« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2015, 10:29:41 PM »
Some former players at the game on both sides. Mullin boys,Felipe. A ton of former Duke players. Mason Plumlee and Lance Thomas were on line in front of me at concession.

George Johnson was in the house sitting section 116...i find it odd that one of our best ever players gets very little props from SJ...his name belongs up on the wall at Carnesecca...

« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2015, 10:36:13 PM »
Some former players at the game on both sides. Mullin boys,Felipe. A ton of former Duke players. Mason Plumlee and Lance Thomas were on line in front of me at concession.

George Johnson was in the house sitting section 116...i find it odd that one of our best ever players gets very little props from SJ...his name belongs up on the wall at Carnesecca...

A lot of familiar faces there. Only faces they put on the scoreboard was Mullin, Looie and Felipe

« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2015, 11:40:38 PM »
Only gripe, Lav has to play Amar and Branch more. The minutes are killing these guys.

Electric day, proud to be a Johnnie.

« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2015, 11:58:48 PM »
Okafor played 37; Jones played 39 and Cook played 38 minutes. 

How come the minutes didn't kill them?

« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2015, 11:59:49 PM »
Okafor played 37; Jones played 39 and Cook played 38 minutes. 

How come the minutes didn't kill them?

In better shape?

« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2015, 01:22:41 AM »
Was it Lavin who called timeout right after we went up 10?

« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2015, 02:22:37 AM »
Marshall fuccin plumlee changed the game.

And why is that? Maybe because we have just one quality big man, going up against Okafor and Plumlee.
Don't give me oh but 6'9 forward Sampson went to the nba. That's why you never take a year off of recruiting, you need to replace the guy that leave.
That's exactly why Plumlee took over.

And that is on STEVE LAVIN. No NCAA for them.

« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2015, 02:25:50 AM »
It's all fatigue. The same exact thing happened against Nova. You're in the game and then BOOM. You just cant beat a good team when you only go 6 deep.

And that's on????
<drum roll please>

« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2015, 06:11:24 AM »
Refs also gave us three points at the end of the first half... It evened out with the phantom whistle.

I disagree in the sense that inadvertent whistle completely destroyed our momentum. People were on their feet ready to explode on that breakaway and that completely killed us. I think we ended up scoring the next basket a minute or  2 later but the place got quiet and I was literally talking to one of my friends and saying this is the turning point and somehow the refs found a way to bust us again

Yeah it's just 2 points and we shot ourselves in the foot later on but the momentum lost was huge

pmg911

« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2015, 06:57:05 AM »
While I didn't think SJU would win, the team gave a great effort for 32 minutes...

If you are up 10 with 8:34 left, you should win the game. We went through a very typical stretch of not scoring a field goal for almost 6 minutes. It happens with this team all the time and that is not on the coach.

They need to bounce back and beat Creighton on the road.

There were a lot of positives from this game.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:34:31 AM by pmg911 »

paultzman

« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2015, 08:17:53 AM »
While I didn't think SJU, the team gave a great effort for 32 minutes...

If you are up 10 with 8:34 left, you should win the game. We went through a very typical stretch of not scoring a field goal for almost 6 minutes. It happens with this team all the time and that is not on the coach.

They need to bounce back and beat Creighton on the road.

There were a lot of positives from this game.
Creighton is huge. Found myself at MSG wondering when we would have our usual shooting drought with the decent lead. On cue it arrived.

« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:07 AM »
Duke fans are annoying!

pmg911

« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2015, 10:35:17 AM »
Duke fans are annoying!

Honestly, you (we ) are just jealous...

« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2015, 10:46:43 AM »
Duke fans are annoying!

Honestly, you (we ) are just jealous...

Nope, if I acted like them and rooted for that team I would punch myself in the face
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:49:54 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2015, 11:26:28 AM »
Guy I work with is a Duke fan, he went there. Bet me $100 Duke would win an NCAA championship before ST John's makes another NCAA tournament. I would not take the bet until he gave me 2-1 odds.