Obekpa

• 80 replies

derk

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 03:52:30 PM »
3 rebounds in 35 minutes? Unacceptable. Send a message, start Amar

Except Amar would get 3 fouls in 3 minutes. But I agree we need more out of Obekpa then blocking shots.

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »
Both Hamilton's would struggle down low with contact, but yes they would be number 2 and 3 on the list. Robert Werdann was not aa good finisher either. Obekpa though has missed around 10 uncontested dunks this year. The Mount Rushmore for bad finishing SJU big man would be Hamilton, Hamilton, Werdann and Obekpa. Obekpa though would be #1

I seem to remember Sean Evans missing a LOT of bunnies in his time here.  Only about half way through his senior year did he start to get it.

My favorite Sean Evans memory is in a game against Seton Hall at CA.  Evans stole the ball in the backcourt and has a breakaway to the basket.  He takes off for a dunk from the foul line (reminiscent of Michael Jordan) and ends up about a foot short of the basket.  I've searched for video of that game and cannot find it anywhere.

Could have easily happened twice haha, but I think youre talking about a Marquette came at CA. And I think we lost in overtime
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 08:54:32 PM »
Both Hamilton's would struggle down low with contact, but yes they would be number 2 and 3 on the list. Robert Werdann was not aa good finisher either. Obekpa though has missed around 10 uncontested dunks this year. The Mount Rushmore for bad finishing SJU big man would be Hamilton, Hamilton, Werdann and Obekpa. Obekpa though would be #1

I seem to remember Sean Evans missing a LOT of bunnies in his time here.  Only about half way through his senior year did he start to get it.

My favorite Sean Evans memory is in a game against Seton Hall at CA.  Evans stole the ball in the backcourt and has a breakaway to the basket.  He takes off for a dunk from the foul line (reminiscent of Michael Jordan) and ends up about a foot short of the basket.  I've searched for video of that game and cannot find it anywhere.

Could have easily happened twice haha, but I think youre talking about a Marquette came at CA. And I think we lost in overtime

You have to be right about it being Marquette because I remember we lost the game.  Wasn't sure about the OT but it sounds right.

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 11:50:22 PM »
CO is just a poor rebounder, too thin, can be moved easily, doesnt box out, probably because he is always thinking block.  It is impossible to believe he could play pro ball on any level...would be laughed out of Europe, fundamentally unsound.  Shot blocking is nice but he has to rebound to be fully effective and his lack of hoop knowledge, lack of bulk and refusal to work on it (bounding is 3/4 hard work)   is killing the team. Amar is less talented physically but his size and the knowledge and experience he gained in Europe can and will make him a more effective rebounder.  If he doesn't get 20M a game after this Lavin is insane. 

I think this is a little harsh although I will agree that CO does not box out nearly as much as he should.  He is fantastic at going up and snatching the ball with his absurd length in spite of his relatively limited vertical.  There are stretches where he plays with savvy and purpose--like when Dom beat his man off the bounce in the 2nd half of the Marquette game and CO cleared the lane by pretending to box out the center, giving Dom a clear path to the rim.  That has to be more consistent.

Both he and Dom need to stay focused on dominating the glass. Dom had 1 total offensive rebound the prior four games before wrestling away FIVE against Marquette (12 total) in a three-point win.  If he only gets 2-3, we probably lose. 

I am thrilled that posters are seeing some potential in Alibegovic--it was obscenely early to write off a freshman big from another country so quickly a few weeks ago--but you can set your watch to his fouls.  He is even ahead of Orlando Sanchez in that department...he's good for an unapolegetic foul every third or fourth trip down the court on defense. He has to improve.  Fast.  He's a tough kid. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:55:21 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 12:01:13 AM »

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 12:59:58 AM »

You have to be right about it being Marquette because I remember we lost the game.  Wasn't sure about the OT but it sounds right.

Was at that game and sat in the student section behind the bucket that Sean Evans did that on.  If i remember correctly he did that at a pretty pivotal juncture of a close game.  I've been to a lot of basketball games and I will never forget that feeling of an entire crowd, collectively, at the very same moment all totally feeling like "what the !*#% did we just see?" It was stunning haha.  Think it was the same game a Marquette kid hit a tough off balance jumper at the buzzer and tore our hearts out.  Brutal game. Tough memories haha

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 01:13:54 AM »

Was at that game and sat in the student section behind the bucket that Sean Evans did that on.  If i remember correctly he did that at a pretty pivotal juncture of a close game.  I've been to a lot of basketball games and I will never forget that feeling of an entire crowd, collectively, at the very same moment all totally feeling like "what the !*#% did we just see?" It was stunning haha.  Think it was the same game a Marquette kid hit a tough off balance jumper at the buzzer and tore our hearts out.  Brutal game. Tough memories haha

Was that Lazar Hayward?

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 01:50:22 AM »
I think it was Jimmy Butler.   If I recall correctly, Malik Booth hit a big jumper from the right corner.  It might have been to tie the game.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:52:37 AM by simplyred »

cjfish

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 09:46:37 AM »
CO is just a poor rebounder, too thin, can be moved easily, doesnt box out, probably because he is always thinking block.  It is impossible to believe he could play pro ball on any level...would be laughed out of Europe, fundamentally unsound.  Shot blocking is nice but he has to rebound to be fully effective and his lack of hoop knowledge, lack of bulk and refusal to work on it (bounding is 3/4 hard work)   is killing the team. Amar is less talented physically but his size and the knowledge and experience he gained in Europe can and will make him a more effective rebounder.  If he doesn't get 20M a game after this Lavin is insane. 

I think this is a little harsh although I will agree that CO does not box out nearly as much as he should.  He is fantastic at going up and snatching the ball with his absurd length in spite of his relatively limited vertical.  There are stretches where he plays with savvy and purpose--like when Dom beat his man off the bounce in the 2nd half of the Marquette game and CO cleared the lane by pretending to box out the center, giving Dom a clear path to the rim.  That has to be more consistent.

Both he and Dom need to stay focused on dominating the glass. Dom had 1 total offensive rebound the prior four games before wrestling away FIVE against Marquette (12 total) in a three-point win.  If he only gets 2-3, we probably lose. 

I am thrilled that posters are seeing some potential in Alibegovic--it was obscenely early to write off a freshman big from another country so quickly a few weeks ago--but you can set your watch to his fouls.  He is even ahead of Orlando Sanchez in that department...he's good for an unapolegetic foul every third or fourth trip down the court on defense. He has to improve.  Fast.  He's a tough kid.

Amar like to get his whacks in but when you are playing limited minutes you may as well use them to defend the hoop, prevent easy buckets.  As his minutes increase he must learn to be more judicious

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 11:13:53 AM »
I think it was Jimmy Butler.   If I recall correctly, Malik Booth hit a big jumper from the right corner.  It might have been to tie the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD5p_kg5oAo

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 12:49:49 PM »
http://zagsblog.com/articles/chris-obekpa-can-help-draft-stock-against-jahlil-okafor/

The scout attended St. John’s recent loss at DePaul and said Obekpa “did nothing.” He needs to focus on defense and rebounding.

derk

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »

I can remember yelling many times watching Evans on a break, "please give it up, please give it up "

Tha Kid

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »

Bobre paid to have them deleted from existence.
"I drink and I know things"

derk

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 01:04:39 PM »

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 09:53:09 PM »
seemed like he grabbed more rebounds this game.  That doesn't change that he's bad at boxing out, he let another guy get a rebound on a free throw that turned into a 3.  However, if you watched the depaul game, his lack of rebounds was more due to (i) the pace; (ii) that he was helping on doubles and traps; and (iii) that his man was leaving the paint.  he's not gathers, that's for sure
FYI Rico Gathers had 25 pts and 28 rebs the other night for Baylor.

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 09:57:33 PM »
seemed like he grabbed more rebounds this game.  That doesn't change that he's bad at boxing out, he let another guy get a rebound on a free throw that turned into a 3.  However, if you watched the depaul game, his lack of rebounds was more due to (i) the pace; (ii) that he was helping on doubles and traps; and (iii) that his man was leaving the paint.  he's not gathers, that's for sure
FYI Rico Gathers had 25 pts and 28 rebs the other night for Baylor.

It was against Huston Tillotson (NAIA).  But he would be perfect on this team.

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »
Okafor treated Obekpa like a rag doll. Toying, laughing and jawing at him. Better come back next year son. Work on your blocking out and get some moves under the basket

boo3

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 10:27:08 PM »
 I though Obekpa battled Okafor all game long and for the most part, did a great job.. He had help, but still...  Stayed out of foul trouble and until the end, kept him in check... At one point, midway thru the second half, JO only had 5 shot attempts...

Sorry Baldi, I disagree.. I though Chris played him as tough as anyone and opened some eyes as a defender.

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2015, 10:33:30 PM »
I though Obekpa battled Okafor all game long and for the most part, did a great job.. He had help, but still...  Stayed out of foul trouble and until the end, kept him in check... At one point, midway thru the second half, JO only had 5 shot attempts...

Sorry Baldi, I disagree.. I though Chris played him as tough as anyone and opened some eyes as a defender.

17 points and 10 rebounds, 6 of those offensive or the future Knick.  He was able to back Obekpa down at will it seemed. Obekpa does not block out, never. He got beat to the basket on every free throw.  And his offensive game, footwork etc  does not exist. I hope he comes back

boo3

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2015, 10:48:41 PM »
 I'm slowly starting to think that maybe Karl Anthony- Towns is gong to be the better pro.