Obekpa

• 80 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2015, 06:27:09 AM »
I though Obekpa battled Okafor all game long and for the most part, did a great job.. He had help, but still...  Stayed out of foul trouble and until the end, kept him in check... At one point, midway thru the second half, JO only had 5 shot attempts...

Sorry Baldi, I disagree.. I though Chris played him as tough as anyone and opened some eyes as a defender.

As usual baldi is showing his lack of knowledge.  Obekpa did a fantastic job guarding okafor and primarily denying the entry pass.  Okafor had to work as hard as he has in any game this year. The Duke alumni I was with kept commenting on how well obekpa was doing defending okafor, especially before okafor had the ball.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2015, 10:39:28 AM »
Where's Testicles when you need him?  ;)

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »
Stats don't lie

TONYD3

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2015, 11:34:14 AM »
Obekpa played a good game defensively . He gave up points and rebounds to a better player. He battled and made some plays. The other guy was just better.

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »
Obekpa played a good game defensively . He gave up points and rebounds to a better player. He battled and made some plays. The other guy was just better.

Exactly, plus CO, like most of our guys ran out of gas, Okafor did most of his damage down the stretch, while CO bodied him up well during the first 34 minutes.

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:34 PM »
I though Obekpa battled Okafor all game long and for the most part, did a great job.. He had help, but still...  Stayed out of foul trouble and until the end, kept him in check... At one point, midway thru the second half, JO only had 5 shot attempts...

Sorry Baldi, I disagree.. I though Chris played him as tough as anyone and opened some eyes as a defender.

As usual baldi is showing his lack of knowledge.  Obekpa did a fantastic job guarding okafor and primarily denying the entry pass.  Okafor had to work as hard as he has in any game this year. The Duke alumni I was with kept commenting on how well obekpa was doing defending okafor, especially before okafor had the ball.

Ha. To be expected...

Agreed - all things considered, Obekpa did a very solid job. Wasn't as impressed with Okafor as I thought I would be.

Tha Kid

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
Stats don't lie

No but like a good lawyer they can frame lots of different pictures depending on what you want to portray.

Oaks mere 10 points through 30 minutes helps tell the stat of the excellent entry pass denial and d obekpa was playing. 
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2015, 02:35:43 PM »
obekpa did a great job using his athleticism and length to deny okafor the entry pass.  okafor used the power movoe succesfully a few times, but overall held his ground on D.  obekpa and dom both allowed a few too many second chances on the offensive glass, but we also got more second chance points than usual (or at least it seemed like)

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2015, 05:09:24 PM »
Where's Testicles when you need him?  ;)

them?

CC

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2015, 05:11:12 PM »
Chris did a decent job on D , but the game has 2 sides of the court. He did nothing on offense and that is the difference between the two. How he missed that dunk is beyond me would have been a and 1.

TONYD3

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »
Chris did a decent job on D , but the game has 2 sides of the court. He did nothing on offense and that is the difference between the two. How he missed that dunk is beyond me would have been a and 1.
You guys missed my point. I meant he played good for him. He is not that good. Good players never or rarely miss dunks. He misses dunks like its his job. Chris played a solid game Sunday.  We lost because their big man were much better not because Chris didn't play well.

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2015, 10:05:57 AM »
He also looked 3 inches shorter

jayro

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2015, 01:23:38 PM »
Obekpa busted his ass on "D". The fact that Okafor outplayed him does not take away from how hard Obekpa played.  Out- weighed by about 35 pounds or more and an inch or 2 shorter Obekpa did what he could.  We know Obekpa is weak offensively so expecting him to score against such a high quality opponent is asking a bit much. I can't knock his defensive effort.  Hope he builds on that going forward.

redslope

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2015, 01:43:37 PM »
CO did well when fronting  and denying the ball but when Oak was able to get the ball and use his strength to back in it was no contest.  This is what CO would face every night at the next level and he does not have the lower body strength, ala Ron Artest.  I thought the backing in of CO was quite physical and was glad the refs let them play as I thought a lot of refs would have been whistle happy.  If CO can't hold em out he has to learn to "flop" outside the circle under the basket.

Poison

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2015, 02:01:20 PM »
Instead of picking on Obekpa, what about our guards and their inability to defend the 3 ball in the second half? Duke and their two evil dwarf guards were driving and shooting threes at will. Lavin had no adjustment. Typical of him in a big game.

« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2015, 02:22:22 PM »
Instead of picking on Obekpa, what about our guards and their inability to defend the 3 ball in the second half? Duke and their two evil dwarf guards were driving and shooting threes at will. Lavin had no adjustment. Typical of him in a big game.

The guards are used to having Obekpa waiting when they get lazy and take a play off. But Obekpa had his own problems, 2  big Dukies

TONYD3

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »
Obekpa busted his ass on "D". The fact that Okafor outplayed him does not take away from how hard Obekpa played.  Out- weighed by about 35 pounds or more and an inch or 2 shorter Obekpa did what he could.  We know Obekpa is weak offensively so expecting him to score against such a high quality opponent is asking a bit much. I can't knock his defensive effort.  Hope he builds on that going forward.
Agree with everything you said. The problem I have is he we are hoping this guy comes back like he is a star. He is a good 4 year player. Not close to being a star. I like rooting for him and understand his limitations but he is way over hyped . Guy is a great shot blocker. Everything else he does is well below average.

pmg911

« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »

"Evil dwarf guards" - such a typical comment from you...

One of those "evil dwarfs" will be a first round NBA draft pick in June...   but hey, what can you do..

goredmen

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2015, 02:42:25 PM »
Agree with everything you said. The problem I have is he we are hoping this guy comes back like he is a star. He is a good 4 year player. Not close to being a star. I like rooting for him and understand his limitations but he is way over hyped . Guy is a great shot blocker. Everything else he does is well below average.

Is that a fact or just your opinion?

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »
what about our guards 

The truth is that our best guard has been "awful" in these last three.  We're lucky to have pulled out one of them with him shooting like this.  Sadly our best player,  and not the other three guards, has been the heart of the problem right smack in the meat of our schedule. 

If he doesn't start to have some near 40% shooting nights yesterday, we're gonna be in deep doo.