Jordan Drama again?

• 134 replies

paultzman

Re: Jordan Drama again?
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2015, 04:55:40 PM »
He should be suspended for the twitter thing...  Makes him and the school look dumb.... Can we trade "Rysheeds" with Duke, even though they are spelled differently?

I'd be willing to take the risk.

It's not nice, and should probably know better, but I'm not ready to competently throw away the season because he said a bad word that probably 90% of the people he knows use multiple times throughout a day, and think nothing of it.

If it was an isolated issue, sure, i agree.. How much shit should this team, school, and  coach take from this kid?     Enough. 
Absolutely. If he is ignoring the in season Twitter ban, why allow that while teammates comply? So tired of this crap.

Foad

« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2015, 04:57:57 PM »
He should be suspended for the twitter thing...  Makes him and the school look dumb.... Can we trade "Rysheeds" with Duke, even though they are spelled differently?

It's not nice, and should probably know better, but I'm not ready to competently throw away the season because he said a bad word that probably 90% of the people he knows use multiple times throughout a day, and think nothing of it.

Except it's not really a bad word. You have to go a long way to get from calling someone a <whatever word fierce person  defaults to on JJ> to homophobia, meaning fear and loathing of homosexuals. If you call someone a c*cksucker what does that mean? That they place penises in their mouth and swallow? Or that they're an a rear of a donkey? This sort of policing of language is childish and stupid. Ghey even. 

Foad

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »

If it was an isolated issue, sure, i agree.. How much shit should this team, school, and  coach take from this kid?     Enough. 
Absolutely. If he is ignoring the in season Twitter ban, why allow that while teammates comply? So tired of this crap.

Why is it that the ban exists at all? In Louie's autobiography he talks about Wooden's ban on players talking to the press - which you know is where Lavin got this, he's not smart enough to think of anything for himself. Lou said that Wooden was wrong, that as an educator it was his job to prepare his players for life after basketball, and that included instilling in them the ability to speak in public in an appropriate manner, that teaching his charges to deal with to the press - with people - was part of his job. What's Lavin's job?

paultzman

« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »

Why is it that the ban exists at all? In Louie's autobiography he talks about Wooden's ban on players talking to the press - which you know is where Lavin got this, he's not smart enough to think of anything for himself. Lou said that Wooden was wrong, that as an educator it was his job to prepare his players for life after basketball, and that included instilling in them the ability to speak in public in an appropriate manner, that teaching his charges to deal with to the press - with people - was part of his job. What's Lavin's job?

You can certainly question utility of the rule. Apparently the rule is being disregarded,with no consequence, by one individual. If that is the case, eliminate the rule. You shouldn't selectively enforce it.

Foad

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2015, 05:32:59 PM »

You can certainly question utility of the rule. Apparently the rule is being disregarded,with no consequence, by one individual. If that is the case, eliminate the rule. You shouldn't selectively enforce it.

All I can say to that is that it's a stupid rule. Under the current regime RJ could send a telegram to the pope that says obscene things about the baby jesus's sex life and that's fine, but if he tweets a picture of what he had for lunch, that's a violation of team rules. That's an issue with the rules, not the content of a particular player's instagram account. 

« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2015, 07:03:39 PM »

He should be suspended now? For tweeting? But not leaving the team 12 times?

Tha Kid

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2015, 07:18:41 PM »

Being insubordinate to the GAPLs rules is obviously worse than abandoning coach and team.
"I drink and I know things"

boo3

« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2015, 08:01:20 PM »

Yes.  I would imagine he was given one last chance after the last time.   

Now he tweets a homophobic slur at someone... Innocent or not, in my book, is say he blew his final shot.   Not even taking into consideration what may or may not have happened against Creighton.

If I did that I'd probably get fired from my job.

« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2015, 08:12:44 PM »
Well it looks like he's playing tomorrow. So the bogus injury, homosexual tweets, and multiple abandonements  mean nothing to the staff.  Probably why he came here.

paultzman

« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2015, 08:33:03 PM »
Well it looks like he's playing tomorrow. So the bogus injury, homosexual tweets, and multiple abandonements  mean nothing to the staff.  Probably why he came here.

"Any discipline to Jordan will likely come from the administration and not the basketball program as every St. John's student must follow a student code of conduct. A school statement said "matters like these are taken seriously."

@RogRubin: St. John's issue Friday wasn't Rysheed Jordan's knee, but his fingers. Guard apologizes for homophobic tweet. NYDN: http://t.co/KDVFvsE0J9.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:47:49 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2015, 08:38:45 PM »

"Any discipline to Jordan will likely come from the administration and not the basketball program as every St. John's student must follow a student code of conduct. A school statement said "matters like these are take"

@RogRubin: St. John's issue Friday wasn't Rysheed Jordan's knee, but his fingers. Guard apologizes for homophobic tweet. NYDN: http://t.co/KDVFvsE0J9.

Time for the new president to clean house

desco80

« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2015, 08:46:51 PM »
In general I'm not a big fan of punishing people for what they think or say, no matter how insulting their message may be.  Words are just that. 

On the other hand, Jordan has seemingly broken several team rules this season.  That to me is the far greater sin in this situation.   

Poison

« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2015, 08:47:03 PM »
He said he was sorry. That's more than a lot of other people who say things they aren't supposed to in regards to gay people. I'm ready to move on. As long as he doesn't kill anyone (and even in that circumstance, it would depend on who) he should be out there, because damn, we need him badly.

« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2015, 08:58:01 PM »

lmfao  As I said when RJ sat and Lavin kneeled to talk to him, I could see RJ smirking.
Then when the announces said it was a leg injury  I was like wtf???
He didn't look hurt to me.

Was lavin covering for RJ because he didn't want to play?

« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »
Got to give the training staff all the credit. Guy is hurt so bad he can only play 5 minutes in a must win game where his replacement fouls out in a close game. They then come up with the radical treatment of do nothing and magically the guy is ready to play the very next game. Maybe after practice the training staff gave him the Mr Miyagi cure? Oh wait supposedly Jordan does not go to practice. Think they made a house call to Philly to give him the Miyagi?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:14:24 PM by we are sju »

boo3

« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
In general I'm not a big fan of punishing people for what they think or say - Desco

Now what they wear, a different story.....

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »
So Harrison got suspended, yet this punk keeps getting invited back?

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2015, 10:05:41 PM »
So Harrison got suspended, yet this punk keeps getting invited back?

It took 13,606 posts plus however many on BEB but I agree 100% with this post, well minus punk part
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:08:36 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2015, 10:57:09 PM »
This is the predicament that Lavin and Co. put us in by not recruiting enough players who could contribute this year.  If we had another guy who could score, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  As I stated in another thread, we pretty much have to play him a this point to have a chance at winning some games.  I have to think that D-Lo and Co. are on board with this and that if they expressed a contrary view, he would be gone.  If he helps our seniors and Chris win games, than I don't care at this point.  And then good riddance.

« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2015, 11:07:43 PM »
Why are grown men...including senior citizens...reading some teenager's private posts anyway?