Does Lavin deserve an extension

• 169 replies

Johnny23

Re: Does Lavin deserve an extension
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »
You guys are slow. If he is fired in March. What players is the new coach getting? How much will be allotted for a new coach? Already spent 2 million. What players are coming back? Since every coach in the last 20 years has failed I am sure coaches will be fighting at the opportunity to coach Felix Balmor at the garden. Also since when has money not been an issue at St. Johns? Nit isnt great, Cbi is worse. Next year can be much worse. Hating Lavin is understandable. I am not as spiteful as some of you.
His contract ends next year. Fire him then.

I hear what you're saying about SJU being cheap when it comes to doling out the bucks to bring in a big name coach. That will be a big issue after Lavin is canned.

However, the question needs to be asked, what has Lavin done or achieved with this team to earn the right to coach out the last year of his contract?

I think outside of some good recruits, he really hasn't produced any type of tangible results in terms of Wins, a deep roster, a team that shows chemistry and improves with each passing game and year.

That's the biggest red flag to me about Lavin. It's his inability to coach this team where it looks like they are more cohesive and better each game out. Rather it looks like every game is just an isolated incident and there's no chemistry from the previous games where the team looks like a more gelled unit.

I see no progression in this team and program under Lavin. It's been in a holding pattern for years now with no improvement.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 10:13:52 AM »
Have to think there are attainable coaches who will come here for more money, MSG, the Big East (which is still a good conference and has TV money) and the ability to sell NY and PT to good recruits.

Of course there are. Think for a moment about the amount of people who aren't some clueless 18 year old, but rather a 42 year old grown man. Now, think about how many job offers are thrown at New Yorkers asking them to relocate to places like Texas, North Carolina, Ohio etc, and think about the amount of people who LOL at the thought of living in a dump like Ohio. People want to work in NY. People with culture. People who expect Italian food to be Italian food. People with taste. There would be people lining up from all over if only Father Harrington, the Sith Lord wasn't running St.John's any longer. Wait, he's not.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:15:41 AM by Poison »

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 10:51:08 AM »
Sampson and Sanchez seem to be faring a lot better at the next level than most on here thought. Throw in Gift and I'm convinced that a lot of coaches not only would have gotten last years team in the tourney but actually won some games.

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 10:57:04 AM »
Not debating any of that. I think we could get a good coach under reasonable conditions. With 4 seniors graduating and next 2 best players possibly leaving . Who would want to walk into that?

Johnny23

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »
Not debating any of that. I think we could get a good coach under reasonable conditions. With 4 seniors graduating and next 2 best players possibly leaving . Who would want to walk into that?

Very tough conditions, no doubt. The ideal candidate would be a coach who is an up and comer in the coaching ranks and wants to make a name for himself. Bobby or Danny Hurley, Toole, Masiello, many other young good coaches out there.

jr49

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 11:38:54 AM »
Great situation. Good money, no pressure , and you can bring in the kind of players you want to coach. It's not like your following a legend.

hnk

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 07:55:09 PM »
The answer is yes.  It's clear now.   The only questions to be answered now are for how long? and for how much?  It's fun to watch his teams get better and better throughout the season.  That's from good coaching.   

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 08:05:56 PM »
Three 20 win seasons in 5 years here. 2 NCAA berths (hopefully). That deserves an extension.

Tha Kid

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 08:06:33 PM »
The answer is yes.  It's clear now.   The only questions to be answered now are for how long? and for how much?  It's fun to watch his teams get better and better throughout the season.  That's from good coaching.

Completely agreed that we have to credit lavins coaching for the consistent progress and end of season excellent play.

That said he needs to find a way to get them to gel a little earlier bc seasons like last year would be tourney seasons if he has.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 08:08:39 PM »

Completely agreed that we have to credit lavins coaching for the consistent progress and end of season excellent play.

That said he needs to find a way to get them to gel a little earlier bc seasons like last year would be tourney seasons if he has.
I agree!

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »
yes

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 08:18:48 PM »
No. How much more under achievement can this fanbase  endure? Other than a sweet 16 run, this is an underwhelming year imo. I posted the same preseason. Other than Sampson, not much coming in next year. Year 6.  Lavin has a huge budget, overpaid assistants with not much in return. I can't see how the school can continue paying. I still believe the president will be looking to make a move

Poison

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 08:32:27 PM »
No. How much more under achievement can this fanbase  endure? Other than a sweet 16 run, this is an underwhelming year imo. I posted the same preseason. Other than Sampson, not much coming in next year. Year 6.  Lavin has a huge budget, overpaid assistants with not much in return. I can't see how the school can continue paying. I still believe the president will be looking to make a move

Why do you think the president will be looking to make a move? It's not the outcome we expected with this class, but this is probably an NCAA tournament team, and whether or not he put himself in certain holes (over the last 4 seasons) or not, this year, he's done a good job coaching overall.

We have two recruits coming in next year that will be asked to do a lot, and several dark horse specials on the horizon, and that's it. I think not having an extension is hurting recruiting. So, if you're in the camp that he might not return, that's something to consider. 

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 08:37:11 PM »

Why do you think the president will be looking to make a move? It's not the outcome we expected with this class, but this is probably an NCAA tournament team, and whether or not he put himself in certain holes (over the last 4 seasons) or not, this year, he's done a good job coaching overall.

We have two recruits coming in next year that will be asked to do a lot, and several dark horse specials on the horizon, and that's it. I think not having an extension is hurting recruiting. So, if you're in the camp that he might not return, that's something to consider. 

I've heard the president is not too fond of Lavin and the money being dumped into the program and the type of recruits he is seeking. Story for another time.

Let's worry about next game

goredmen

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 08:39:22 PM »
This program still has not accomplished anything under Lavin. If this senior class makes 1 tournament as an 8 seed and gets dropped in the 1st round how could that be considered successful?

TONYD3

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »
This program still has not accomplished anything under Lavin. If this senior class makes 1 tournament as an 8 seed and gets dropped in the 1st round how could that be considered successful?
That didnt happen. You can fault him if thats what happens. Cant fault him if it doesnt. Hoping to see a few games at the Garden. Lets see

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 08:48:06 PM »
Not big lavin fan but 2 tournament appearances in 5 years is a drastic improvement and at some point continuity in the staff has real value.

Let's see how things play out in the next few weeks. He won't get extended before selection Sunday

NYCoffey

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »
No. How much more under achievement can this fanbase  endure? Other than a sweet 16 run, this is an underwhelming year imo. I posted the same preseason. Other than Sampson, not much coming in next year. Year 6.  Lavin has a huge budget, overpaid assistants with not much in

return. I can't see how the school can continue paying. I still believe the president will be looking to make a move

[/quote

I've heard the president is not too fond of Lavin and the money being dumped into the program and the type of recruits he is seeking. Story for another time.

Let's worry about next game

You want to bait but you want to deal with it another time. Sounds about right.

hnk

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 08:49:47 PM »
The product on the court is fun to watch.  The guys and the team are getting better all the time.  The chemistry is phenomenal.  The program is getting better.  We are in the hunt for top recruits.  He and his team deserve extensions.

Anyone else here getting tired of the bald-faced stories without any evidence or attribution...even if they have a 50% chance of ending up correct?

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 08:49:58 PM »

I'll take season's like this, thanks. This is exciting. The two most exciting seasons of my fanhood have been under Lavin. I want him to stick around.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:50:50 PM by redstorm212 »