Does Lavin deserve an extension

• 169 replies
Re: Does Lavin deserve an extension
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 08:51:43 PM »
No. How much more under achievement can this fanbase  endure? Other than a sweet 16 run, this is an underwhelming year imo. I posted the same preseason. Other than Sampson, not much coming in next year. Year 6.  Lavin has a huge budget, overpaid assistants with not much in return. I can't see how the school can continue paying. I still believe the president will be looking to make a move

I'll take season's like this, thanks. This is exciting. The two most exciting seasons of my fanhood have been under Lavin. I want him to stick around.

Yes. Cherish it

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »
No. How much more under achievement can this fanbase  endure? Other than a sweet 16 run, this is an underwhelming year imo. I posted the same preseason. Other than Sampson, not much coming in next year. Year 6.  Lavin has a huge budget, overpaid assistants with not much in return. I can't see how the school can continue paying. I still believe the president will be looking to make a move

I'll take season's like this, thanks. This is exciting. The two most exciting seasons of my fanhood have been under Lavin. I want him to stick around.

Yes. Cherish it

Will do. And hopefully many more to come.

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2015, 09:08:56 PM »
I think it's totally fine if you don't like Lavin and don't want him to get an extension.

But I do think it would be good if he did get an extension.

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2015, 09:59:05 PM »
If this senior class makes 1 tournament as an 8 seed and gets dropped in the 1st round how could that be considered successful?

Because were St. John's University - that's how.  We've made the Ncaa tournament one time since 2001.  This year will be the second.  With that recent record of futility,  you best believe that just making the tournament is an unmitigated success.

If we began to dance on even a semi-regular basis,  than perhaps we might dare to dream (be still my beating heart) of the unthinkable...an actual Ncaa tournament win!

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2015, 10:09:32 PM »
i look at it this way. The program has improved with Lavin here no doubt but has it been enough for that much money. I love hearing people talk about how he manages his short bench. Why is his bench short? Because his assistants took a year off then tried to cover by taking players who were questionable to qualify like thomas and ADR ( long term i think ADR is going to be good). But lets call a spade a spade. Im enjoying this season due to the chemistry and fun style they play but is he worth 2.5 mill? I was thinking to myself the other day watching warmups how much of a difference a full year of whitsell has made. The defense has improved 100% and rebounding with a smaller team and we dont dilly dally around the point endlessly passing it around anymore.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:10:26 PM by valgoth »

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2015, 10:28:37 PM »

Where were you in 1952?  :)

desco80

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2015, 10:49:50 PM »
The product on the court is fun to watch.  The guys and the team are getting better all the time.  The chemistry is phenomenal.  The program is getting better.  We are in the hunt for top recruits.  He and his team deserve extensions.

Anyone else here getting tired of the bald-faced stories without any evidence or attribution...even if they have a 50% chance of ending up correct?

You can't be taken seriously.
You were asking for an extension last year, and again when we were 0-3 in conference.   You shill for Lavin regardless of his performance.

He shouldn't be offered an extension, he's under-achieved with this group, and the future looks ominous.  But why do we need to talk about it now?  Can't we just enjoy this team.

And for the 4918 time, I would like to point out that being better than Norm isn't proof of success.   It just means you're better than Norm Roberts.
But newsflash... there are more options in this world than Norm Roberts and Steve Lavin.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 11:02:32 PM »
Lavin knows how to keep things entertaining...honestly it's hard to judge anything until after the season. There are still so many ways that this season can go. Obviously the better he does the stronger the argument it is to give him an extension.
I think the new President will play hardball regardless of what happens (maybe accepts for an elite 8 run). Lavin will have to decide if he wants this kind of scrutiny and of course what kind of money is being offered. SJU is a rebuilding project for next year so a new coach can be brought in and start from scratch.
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 11:21:29 PM »
Game Wednesday . Extension is there for the taking. Hopefully either way their won't be a debate.  I like the way the team is playing also. Lavin Just has to win.  If he wins their won't be a doubt. If not send him on his way.  gut check not only for Lavin, but Dom and Harrison .

jr49

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 11:31:58 PM »
Question. Does the incoming class play into the equation? I wouldn't' ask, but it could be the third of 3 classes in a row without much to show. If it turns out good I think it's a gimmie. How long can the school wait?

Poison

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
If this senior class makes 1 tournament as an 8 seed and gets dropped in the 1st round how could that be considered successful?

Because were St. John's University - that's how.  We've made the Ncaa tournament one time since 2001.  This year will be the second.  With that recent record of futility,  you best believe that just making the tournament is an unmitigated success.

If we began to dance on even a semi-regular basis,  than perhaps we might dare to dream (be still my beating heart) of the unthinkable...an actual Ncaa tournament win!

Two times since 2001. And we didn't make it in 2001 because Jarvis didn't schedule enough cup cakes. That team wasn't bad. They weren't great, but they weren't bad either. Went 8-8 in conference and beat Kentucky and Michigan.

Poison

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 12:15:08 AM »
Lavin knows how to keep things entertaining...honestly it's hard to judge anything until after the season. There are still so many ways that this season can go. Obviously the better he does the stronger the argument it is to give him an extension.
I think the new President will play hardball regardless of what happens (maybe accepts for an elite 8 run). Lavin will have to decide if he wants this kind of scrutiny and of course what kind of money is being offered. SJU is a rebuilding project for next year so a new coach can be brought in and start from scratch.

Is the new president going to pay a legit NCAA tournament coach? I'm cool with moving on, because I don't care for Lavin's coaching style and for his lack of recruiting the last 3 seasons, but to fire him only to bring in someone who hasn't been successful as a D1 head coach is really risky.

Danny Hurley might be the next great coach in college basketball, but if he comes here, and we see that he isn't, we're back to a mid major program like we were under under the hated Norm Roberts.

Lavin has been criticized, fairly, for not developing talent, for not settling on the right players and rotations, and for not establishing a clear defensive or offensive identity. That said, if he's going to be criticized for the lack of development in Phil Greene and Dom Pointer over the last 2/3 years, then he deserves credit for their success which has been impressive to say the least.
Last year, our rotations were awful. This year, Lavin has done a good job of getting the most out his limited bench. I feel like we are prepared to face a zone much better this year than in recent years. Our help defense has gone from awfuk to tremendous this season, and Georgetown is a great example of help defense at its very best. Just ask Josh Smith.

At the end of the day, the devil you know may be the best road to take.

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2015, 12:49:53 AM »

Is the new president going to pay a legit NCAA tournament coach? I'm cool with moving on, because I don't care for Lavin's coaching style and for his lack of recruiting the last 3 seasons, but to fire him only to bring in someone who hasn't been successful as a D1 head coach is really risky.

Danny Hurley might be the next great coach in college basketball, but if he comes here, and we see that he isn't, we're back to a mid major program like we were under under the hated Norm Roberts.

Lavin has been criticized, fairly, for not developing talent, for not settling on the right players and rotations, and for not establishing a clear defensive or offensive identity. That said, if he's going to be criticized for the lack of development in Phil Greene and Dom Pointer over the last 2/3 years, then he deserves credit for their success which has been impressive to say the least.
Last year, our rotations were awful. This year, Lavin has done a good job of getting the most out his limited bench. I feel like we are prepared to face a zone much better this year than in recent years. Our help defense has gone from awfuk to tremendous this season, and Georgetown is a great example of help defense at its very best. Just ask Josh Smith.

I been saying all season, Lavin needs to take care of two things this season.
Make the NCAA Tournament (which all they need is 1 more win.), and part 2 is recruits for the future.
Sampson already committed. I'd be good with just one 5 star the rest of the way (Diallo), if not him then two 4 stars, that happens then yes give him an extension. Just want to make him earn it.

goredmen

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 12:50:08 AM »

Are we really anything more than a glorified mid major at this point anyway?

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 12:52:21 AM »

I guess it depends on your definition of mid major.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 01:37:56 AM »

I guess it depends on your definition of mid major.

The President came here to balance the budget and the program costs a lot of money.  Lavin has improved this program, but is his salary worth it? As of right now we are almost exactly where we were 5 years ago, in terms of on the verge of making the tournament, senior squad and a rebuilding project for next year.
The potential for better talent is there but not defiant, and overall lasts year roster has a lot of ifs, not to mention the inelgiable issues.
-I give Lavin credit for this team not going into the abyss and I defiantly thought he was gone earlier in the year. He has made his extension decision a lot tougher.
Cougar O' Malley

SJUFAN

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 01:39:49 AM »

A statement like this make zero sense.

goredmen

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 02:34:15 AM »

Please enlighten me how this program is anything more than a glorified mid major at this point. There's mid major programs that have been far more successful than us before the Lavin era and during the Lavin era

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2015, 05:47:07 AM »

Please enlighten me how this program is anything more than a glorified mid major at this point. There's mid major programs that have been far more successful than us before the Lavin era and during the Lavin era

A mid-major team would never be considered a tournament "lock" with 9 losses, 7 in conference and 5th place in their own conference. Are you enlightened?

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2015, 07:42:38 AM »

Two times since 2001. And we didn't make it in 2001 because Jarvis didn't schedule enough cup cakes. That team wasn't bad. They weren't great, but they weren't bad either. Went 8-8 in conference and beat Kentucky and Michigan.

Made it in 2001/02; 2010/2011 and 2014/15.  Did I miss one?