Does Lavin deserve an extension

• 169 replies

Poison

Re: Does Lavin deserve an extension
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2015, 08:25:12 AM »
Lavin knows how to keep things entertaining...honestly it's hard to judge anything until after the season. There are still so many ways that this season can go. Obviously the better he does the stronger the argument it is to give him an extension.
I think the new President will play hardball regardless of what happens (maybe accepts for an elite 8 run). Lavin will have to decide if he wants this kind of scrutiny and of course what kind of money is being offered. SJU is a rebuilding project for next year so a new coach can be brought in and start from scratch.

Is the new president going to pay a legit NCAA tournament coach? I'm cool with moving on, because I don't care for Lavin's coaching style and for his lack of recruiting the last 3 seasons, but to fire him only to bring in someone who hasn't been successful as a D1 head coach is really risky.

Danny Hurley might be the next great coach in college basketball, but if he comes here, and we see that he isn't, we're back to a mid major program like we were under under the hated Norm Roberts.

Lavin has been criticized, fairly, for not developing talent, for not settling on the right players and rotations, and for not establishing a clear defensive or offensive identity. That said, if he's going to be criticized for the lack of development in Phil Greene and Dom Pointer over the last 2/3 years, then he deserves credit for their success which has been impressive to say the least.
Last year, our rotations were awful. This year, Lavin has done a good job of getting the most out his limited bench. I feel like we are prepared to face a zone much better this year than in recent years. Our help defense has gone from awfuk to tremendous this season, and Georgetown is a great example of help defense at its very best. Just ask Josh Smith.

At the end of the day, the devil you know may be the best road to take.

I been saying all season, Lavin needs to take care of two things this season.
Make the NCAA Tournament (which all they need is 1 more win.), and part 2 is recruits for the future.
Sampson already committed. I'd be good with just one 5 star the rest of the way (Diallo), if not him then two 4 stars, that happens then yes give him an extension. Just want to make him earn it.

I don't think he's signing anymore recruits without an extension. Kids think he's a sitting duck. Nothing new at St.John's. Contract will have to come before his extension.

hnk

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2015, 08:40:49 AM »
Desco, please compare Coach Lavin's first five years at St. John's  to Coach K's first five year at Duke.   Then you can think about the following:

Is the program getting better?  Is the product getting better and fun to watch?  Are the players getting better? 

Are we in the hunt  for elite recruiting prospects?  Have we expanded our recruiting nationally and internationally?  Is the glass one quarter empty or three quarters full?  Have we lost players (too soon) to the NBA?

What is it you really want and is it reasonable?  Are our facilities really comparable to Kentucky, Duke , Notre Dame and the government supported institutions (Fla., NC, NC State, Ohio State, Mich., Michigan State, Ariz.  etc.)?

Do some people just like to whine and complain or troll and trouble make?

Is the program perfect? No.  Do you expect it to be perfect? Is Coach Lavin perfect? No (I hate the overuse of timeouts after made baskets for example....and sometimes the p.r. mumble jumble.)   

Has Coach Lavin built a professional team of assistants?  Do you come close to meeting the same standards you expect from Coach Lavin?

Should we believe you or our own eyes?

If you are too busy enjoying the season (which I certainly am), you can simply skip this discussion and save it for when we lose (which will will certainly do at some point) and will make whining and complaining more timely.

Is St. John's basketball back on the map?

Wods317

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2015, 09:25:44 AM »
Are we really anything more than a glorified mid major at this point anyway?

A statement like this make zero sense.

I agree. Our conference has the second best RPI in the country. We don't play in a mid major conference, Big East is a still a major conference in college basketball. Thats the first time I have ever heard anyone refer to us as a mid major, couldn't disagree with that more. Also I think Lavin should be back, no way after only our second NCAA berth in years do they just can him. Extend him so he isn't a lame duck for recruiting.

Tha Kid

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2015, 09:54:08 AM »
Find me a mid major conference who has ever gotten half or more than half its members into the ncaas like the big east will this year...the big east is a major conference still.  Period.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:54:36 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2015, 11:08:39 AM »
Find me a mid major conference who has ever gotten half or more than half its members into the ncaas like the big east will this year...the big east is a major conference still.  Period.

How many teams did the A-10 get in last year? Don't think it was half but pretty close?

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2015, 11:16:28 AM »

How many teams did the A-10 get in last year? Don't think it was half but pretty close?

A10 got 6 in

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2015, 11:19:57 AM »

A10 got 6 in

So 43% of their conference.

cjfish

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2015, 11:27:06 AM »
He deserves an extensions.  Program has slowly come around.  If not for losses to NBA his tenure would have been significantly better and few of us would be complaining.

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »
Take a look at the big picture

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2015, 11:29:35 AM »
I dont post often, but the A10 in 2014 didn't have a team seeded higher than 5, and the 2015 BigEast is in line to have a team receive either a 1 or a 2 . Just food for thought

ras

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2015, 11:32:25 AM »
IMO. Have to wait till the season ends and who we will have next year, before making a final decision. I don't think Lovett qualifies. Next year is so Questionable. Have to wait to see how it pans out.

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2015, 11:34:07 AM »

And what is the big picture in your mind?

TONYD3

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »
Lavin is not on any hot seat. Like him or not he is coming back.

desco80

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2015, 11:42:35 AM »
Desco, please compare Coach Lavin's first five years at St. John's  to Coach K's first five year at Duke.   Then you can think about the following:

I'll respond to the rest at a later date.   But for those of you who are curious, coach K had won NCAA tournament games in years 4 and 5... and.. (wait for it)... WENT TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN YEAR SIX!!

The comparison ends right there.  We will be rebuilding next year.   Because despite all our hoping and wishing, the odds are CO and RJ are not back, and Diallo is not coming here.   Is it a lock?  No.   But that is the most likely scenario.   
So lets focus on the Marquette game, and having a fun couple of weeks with these seniors.   Because the future is not bright, and that rests with Steve Lavin.   

Also, I don't know who you're speaking for when you say "we".    Every time we've done a poll, whether it be last season or this season, no less than 48% of SJU fans have wanted SL fired and/or not extended.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:44:06 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »

It is what it is. These kids will get  to the NCAA despite Lavins shenanigans. Good for them. There will be plenty of time in the offseason to pick the Lavin situation apart.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:51:02 AM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2015, 12:07:21 PM »

It is what it is. These kids will get  to the NCAA despite Lavins shenanigans. Good for them. There will be plenty of time in the offseason to pick the Lavin situation apart.

And everyone will come to their same conclusions! It's like the Republicans with Obama, he hasn't made a correct decision since he was elected and never will. What will happen will happen with no input from this Board. Funny this is the same conversation Terp fans were having about Turgeon last year, look at the big picture, which wasn't too good. Today different story.

desco80

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2015, 12:13:49 PM »

And everyone will come to their same conclusions! It's like the Republicans with Obama, he hasn't made a correct decision since he was elected and never will. What will happen will happen with no input from this Board. Funny this is the same conversation Terp fans were having about Turgeon last year, look at the big picture, which wasn't too good. Today different story.

Not comparable.   They had talent returning.  Wells, Layman, Pack etc  And they had Trimble inked.   

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »

Not comparable.   They had talent returning.  Wells, Layman, Pack etc  And they had Trimble inked.

I know it's a big if, but if CO and Sheed return then you can say the same with SJU.

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
What are the reasons he deserves an extension?

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »

You should open up shop as a fortune teller. Half truths and leading statements. :)