Does Lavin deserve an extension

• 169 replies

desco80

Re: Does Lavin deserve an extension
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
Take a look at the big picture

And what is the big picture in your mind?

It is what it is. These kids will get  to the NCAA despite Lavins shenanigans. Good for them. There will be plenty of time in the offseason to pick the Lavin situation apart.

And everyone will come to their same conclusions! It's like the Republicans with Obama, he hasn't made a correct decision since he was elected and never will. What will happen will happen with no input from this Board. Funny this is the same conversation Terp fans were having about Turgeon last year, look at the big picture, which wasn't too good. Today different story.

Not comparable.   They had talent returning.  Wells, Layman, Pack etc  And they had Trimble inked.

I know it's a big if, but if CO and Sheed return then you can say the same with SJU.

I agree 75.   Things look very different  if CO and Sheed are coming back.

pmg911

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2015, 12:25:37 PM »
What are the reasons he deserves an extension?

3 - 20 win season out of 5
2 - NCAA Tournament bids
The first group of Seniors he has to stay are all graduating.

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2015, 12:29:26 PM »

2 - NCAA Tournament bids

From a basketball sense, were you expecting more?

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2015, 12:29:51 PM »
I do not think he deserves a raise but feel he should be extended. I would load the contract with incentives even offering him some of the gate if SJU draws 12k+ fans to the Garden.

Tha Kid

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2015, 12:31:08 PM »

2 - NCAA Tournament bids

Sure but I wasn't expecting him to have cancer for a year either.  To pretend like that didn't affect things would be foolish.  If we get a good recruiting class for next year he deserves to come back.  I bet 3/5 appearances would be fair to expect from lavin going forward personally.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
I do not think he deserves a raise but feel he should be extended. I would load the contract with incentives even offering him some of the gate if SJU draws 12k+ fans to the Garden.

Rewarding mediocrity. And I'm being generous in that statement

redslope

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »

2 - NCAA Tournament bids

The last point is one everyone seems to forget.  I believe it is a positive that our new president will look at favorably.  In addition to the 5 seniors on this year's team, Gift was an excellent student who not only graduated but got a graduate degree and was a member of the University's President's Society--a first for a basketball player.  Also, Sanchez and Hooper gradated last year.

Furthermore attendance is up significantly (the average of Norm's last 3 years was about 5800 while under Lavin we are about 7700--over a 30% increase)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:36:19 PM by redslope »

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2015, 12:33:58 PM »

2 - NCAA Tournament bids

Sure but I wasn't expecting him to have cancer for a year either.  To pretend like that didn't affect things would be foolish.  If we get a good recruiting class for next year he deserves to come back.  I bet 3/5 appearances would be fair to expect from lavin going forward personally.

He had cancer yes. But he also proclaimed himself the teams GM, traveling around the world on so called recruiting trips. Team should be stacked, not in rebuilding mode yet again.

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2015, 12:34:23 PM »

If SJU was drawing 12k+ at the Garden it would mean one of two things. SJU was good (far from mediocrity) or SJU scheduled big time teams that traveled well.

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »

If SJU was drawing 12k+ at the Garden it would mean one of two things. SJU was good (far from mediocrity) or SJU scheduled big time teams that traveled well.

We have to play Duke 25 times a year to average 12k per game
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:38:18 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »

Baldi, did you expect us to be in the NCAA's his third year? When the team was most Sophs.

« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »

Baldi, did you expect us to be in the NCAA's his third year? When the team was most Sophs.
Yes. Top recruiting class and that sophomore jump

« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2015, 12:39:15 PM »

2 - NCAA Tournament bids

The last point is one everyone seems to forget.  I believe it is a positive that our new president will look at favorably.  In addition to the 5 seniors on this year's team, Gift was an excellent student who not only graduated but got a graduate degree and was a member of the University's President's Society--a first for a basketball player.  Also, Sanchez and Hooper gradated last year.

Furthermore attendance is up significantly (the average of Norm's last 3 years was about 5800 while under Lavin we are about 7700--over a 30% increase)

While I think he deserves to be back at this point, I also agree comparing him to Norm is counterproductive. That is not the standard we can accept under any circumstances.

« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2015, 12:41:43 PM »

That is where I disagree completely, I never expected that jump, especially without an experienced point guard. Different expectations is what makes the world go around.

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2015, 12:45:24 PM »

That is where I disagree completely, I never expected that jump, especially without an experienced point guard. Different expectations is what makes the world go around.

You didn't have high expectations when he brought in that top 5 class?  Seems  like he is collecting that ridiculous paycheck on just that. With minimal results.

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2015, 01:03:45 PM »
I ha

You didn't have high expectations when he brought in that top 5 class?  Seems  like he is collecting that ridiculous paycheck on just that. With minimal results.

I had expectations, not as grand as yours. Last year was a washout, agreed, prior year not a all. Playing in old BE with sophs to me was going to be a learning experience.

SJUFAN

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2015, 01:08:47 PM »
Are we really anything more than a glorified mid major at this point anyway?

A statement like this make zero sense.

Please enlighten me how this program is anything more than a glorified mid major at this point. There's mid major programs that have been far more successful than us before the Lavin era and during the Lavin era

Its more than wins/loses and NCAA appearances. Is the Cleveland Browns not a Pro Football team? Its about revenue. SJU isn't a mid major because the conference isn't a mid major. They have national exposure with a television contract that pays the school millions. How many mid major programs/conferences have that type of leverage to warrant that type of contract? Fox could have used their money to sign the MAAC but choose a "watered down" Big East? The Big East has 6 schools in the top 50 RPI rankings, SJU being one of them. How many MAAC schools are in the top 50? That's why top programs don't want to schedule mid majors. We can call up any school in the top 25 and they would put us on their schedule because if they win, its a good win, if they lose its not a bad lost. Fox wants to broadcast SJU vs Duke, GT vs SJU. Not Monmouth vs Canisius, you may be able to find them on a old analog TV using a hanger as an antenna with some tin foil wrapped around it at 4am, and that's if its even broadcasted. Recruits want to play in MSG, they want to play on national TV, they want to play against top programs. There is nothing glorified about that.

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »
Why is everyone so concerned with Lavin's paycheck?  That's between him, the school and the people woh fund his salary (if any).  Objection to him should be based on results.  I'm sick of hearing from people (not necessarily you, Baldi) who go to 2 games a year complaining about his salary as if it is coming out of their pockets.  Stick to the argument that he hasn't produced on the court.  If we bring in a coach a 300k, will the same fans be satisfied with 10 wins a year?

The bigger question.  When Lavin is extended, will you posters keep this argument going for the next four years, or can we go back to talking basketball?

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2015, 01:12:12 PM »
Are we really anything more than a glorified mid major at this point anyway?

A statement like this make zero sense.

Please enlighten me how this program is anything more than a glorified mid major at this point. There's mid major programs that have been far more successful than us before the Lavin era and during the Lavin era

Its more than wins/loses and NCAA appearances. Is the Cleveland Browns not a Pro Football team? Its about revenue. SJU isn't a mid major because the conference isn't a mid major. They have national exposure with a television contract that pays the school millions. How many mid major programs/conferences have that type of leverage to warrant that type of contract? Fox could have used their money to sign the MAAC but choose a "watered down" Big East? The Big East has 6 schools in the top 50 RPI rankings, SJU being one of them. How many MAAC schools are in the top 50? That's why top programs don't want to schedule mid majors. We can call up any school in the top 25 and they would put us on their schedule because if they win, its a good win, if they lose its not a bad lost. Fox wants to broadcast SJU vs Duke, GT vs SJU. Not Monmouth vs Canisius, you may be able to find them on a old analog TV using a hanger as an antenna with some tin foil wrapped around it at 4am, and that's if its even broadcasted. Recruits want to play in MSG, they want to play on national TV, they want to play against top programs. There is nothing glorified about that.

By the way, our game versus G'town on Saturday was the ONLY Big East game, this season, that CBS televised nationally.

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2015, 01:12:14 PM »
Take a look at the big picture

And what is the big picture in your mind?

It is what it is. These kids will get  to the NCAA despite Lavins shenanigans. Good for them. There will be plenty of time in the offseason to pick the Lavin situation apart.

And everyone will come to their same conclusions! It's like the Republicans with Obama, he hasn't made a correct decision since he was elected and never will. What will happen will happen with no input from this Board. Funny this is the same conversation Terp fans were having about Turgeon last year, look at the big picture, which wasn't too good. Today different story.

Not comparable.   They had talent returning.  Wells, Layman, Pack etc  And they had Trimble inked.   

If Sheed was as good as Trimble is this freshman year, do you think we have danced last year. I suppose he was coached up by Turgeon. When you are rebuilding it takes some luck and skill of course. Remember that 5 UMD players transferred out last year, do you think they were all stiffs. I live down here and nobody was happy with him. Prior to the Wisconsin game my friends didn't trust him at all, now they are warming up, but worry if Trimble declares will they go back to last years performance.

Few fans are rarely happy with their coach, everyone is smarter.