Providence Game 2

• 76 replies

goredmen

Re: Providence Game 2
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2015, 07:54:19 PM »
Nice win. Steal a win at Butler Tuesday and we might have something here
Steal nothing . We have better players. A loss would be another bad loss. No more losing to worse teams

Our top 6 may have more talent than their top 6. However they are a much better TEAM and much better coached. Plus the game is in their building. Yes, we are going to have to steal that game

paultzman

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2015, 07:56:39 PM »
Steal nothing . We have better players. A loss would be another bad loss. No more losing to worse teams

Our top 6 may have more talent than their top 6. However they are a much better TEAM and much better coached. Plus the game is in their building. Yes, we are going to have to steal that game
Smart

goredmen

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2015, 08:08:51 PM »

Smart

By the way, KenPom gives us only a 24% chance to win that game, if you're into that kind of stuff

LoganK

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2015, 10:10:50 PM »

Smart

By the way, KenPom gives us only a 24% chance to win that game, if you're into that kind of stuff

Well the good news is we've proven KenPom wrong several times this year (in losses), so maybe it's time to prove it wrong with a win??

SJUFAN

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2015, 01:55:42 AM »

Please quantify how our top 6 has more "talent" than theirs?

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2015, 01:58:30 AM »

We have 5  former top 75 RSCI ranked recruits.  They have 0.  Hard to quantify it any more than that ;)

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2015, 02:23:15 AM »
Phillip with another stellar stat stuffer.  A team second in scoring with 16 on an efficient 46% from the field .  Double digit scorer in all BE games and 10 out of the last eleven.  Never one to settle for the status quo, now starting a new steak of double digit scoring in the first half alone.  Outboarded all guards in the game with 5.  Had 3 assists and an infinity asst./to ratio. Led the team in steals with 2. 

Those clamoring for Triangle to use his lethal outside shooting less and drive to the hole more were rewarded...as Phil took it to the rim confidently and effectively early and often.

His value most evident in the outset as every Johnny without roman numerals in their name came out comatose, depending on Square alone to keep us from getting us blown out early.  He had a hand in 11 of our first 12 points.  Scoring 9 and assisting on a bucket.

Perhaps his biggest play of the day was the rebound and outlet to Dom with the clock expiring for the 1st half closing miracle three.

But did you get the memo on BEB's? He Stinks!  ;D ;D ;D

It's right below where it says he scored 16 but took 13 shots to do it and he failed to have on offensive rebound (neither did Sterling Gibbs) and some actuary somewhere says that 4 ft attempts is not enough for 13 shots and blah blah blah blah blah blah.

SJUFAN

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2015, 03:28:53 AM »

We have 5  former top 75 RSCI ranked recruits.  They have 0.  Hard to quantify it any more than that ;)

You maybe right, that's probably what most people do but by that logic Michael Olowokandi and Kwame Brown are more talented than anyone else in their draft class because they were taken #1 overall? How about Sam Bowe is a better player than Michael Jordan because he was taken ahead of him? Look at the current leading score of the BE, were was he ranked out of HS? I was hoping to get a little bit more of an actual analysis of the players game to support that statement.

TONYD3

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2015, 07:55:35 AM »
I have seen butler play numerous times. Beating them at home won't be a steal by any means.

Poison

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2015, 08:14:47 AM »

We once had the #1 player in the country at St.John's, and you what we learned? He wasn't worthy of it. Well, some of us learned it.

TONYD3

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2015, 09:14:31 AM »
I think Providence is better then Butler. As long as Jordan's tooth, back, fingers, stomach, or knee does not hurt I think we win Tuesday. Also hoping Jordan isn't suffering from home sickness and hope that everyone is nice to him on facebook and twitter. Providing nothing like this happens I think we win.

LoganK

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2015, 09:36:59 AM »

One on one our top 6 players would beat their top 6 players. 
I don't agree with that entirely, but I would think that quantifies it without getting too in depth.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:37:38 AM by LoganK »

cjfish

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2015, 10:49:03 AM »
I think Providence is better then Butler. As long as Jordan's tooth, back, fingers, stomach, or knee does not hurt I think we win Tuesday. Also hoping Jordan isn't suffering from home sickness and hope that everyone is nice to him on facebook and twitter. Providing nothing like this happens I think we win.

Good point.  Jordan issues and other intangibles and minor issues are the problem. (DLO leg, team IQ, COs tendency to pick up stupid fouls etc) If team plays smart they should win, if not, another nail in the coffin. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »

I don't agree with that entirely, but I would think that quantifies it without getting too in depth.

Unfortunately a game of basketball at this level consist of 5 on 5. In that environment, our team struggles on the offensive end because they lack the offensive skill sets as a whole and we struggle to find consistency. Our players are too one dimensional. We don't have good shooters, good passers, or good dribble penetrators. We are the most athletic which is why we do well on defense. Our best scorer lacks quickness and struggles getting off a clear shot in one on one situations. I think coaching wise Lavin has done a good job with this group.

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2015, 07:35:19 PM »

Unfortunately a game of basketball at this level consist of 5 on 5. In that environment, our team struggles on the offensive end because they lack the offensive skill sets as a whole and we struggle to find consistency. Our players are too one dimensional. We don't have good shooters, good passers, or good dribble penetrators. We are the most athletic which is why we do well on defense. Our best scorer lacks quickness and struggles getting off a clear shot in one on one situations. I think coaching wise Lavin has done a good job with this group.
I agreed completely with everything you wrote except your last sentence. I think lavin has done a much better job this year but think he really struggled coaching these guys in the previous years.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »

You maybe right, that's probably what most people do but by that logic Michael Olowokandi and Kwame Brown are more talented than anyone else in their draft class because they were taken #1 overall? How about Sam Bowe is a better player than Michael Jordan because he was taken ahead of him? Look at the current leading score of the BE, were was he ranked out of HS? I was hoping to get a little bit more of an actual analysis of the players game to support that statement.

I don't disagree with you at all...I just look at it differently.  You have talent (mostly Genetics) and you have skill--which by definition can be learned and improved with practice.  Our most skilled player, Harrison, is probably one of our least physically talented players. Only schools like Kentucy can routinely get kids with both.  Lavin seems to prefer kids with talent and sprinkling in some skilled kids like D'Lo and Moe.

jr49

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2015, 02:06:06 PM »

Dlo lacks quickness but can still get into the lane and draw fouls. I don't think this is a bad passing team. There are times RJ and Phil hold the ball to long. CO has recieved some nice passes this year where he did not convert a chippee and that does hurt. You right about a shooter. If we had one of those I don't think Phil would be allowed to dribble around for 15 seconds and then hoisting a sideways 16 footer which he should cut out anyway.