Wishful Thinking, Dominos on next year

• 78 replies

goredmen

Re: Wishful Thinking, Dominos on next year
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 03:22:19 AM »
If St. John's wants him I'm pretty sure they have Lovett. I've said numerous times I'm not a big fan and think his flaws are seriously masked on his internet presence. However he does have raw potential and its a risk I'd take at this point.

Cheick loves NY and might be the best thing St. John's has going for them. He's a simple kid and as long as he's playing, which he'd obviously do here, then he'll be happy.

Greek kid isn't bad, not super polished, but true centers rarely are. He'd be a good get but I think he's kind of a long shot at playing NCAA.

I love Sampson. He's the real deal and will have a career along the lines of D-Lo. It's so disappointing Briscoe didn't commit because this truly would have been one of the best backcourts in the country day 1.

I think sprinkle in a juco, transfer, or both and program is fine for next year. Continuity is key at the head coaching position and grass isn't any greener elsewhere. Just have to accept the bad with the good and hope the bad gets better.

My sleeper recruits are Malik Ellison and KJ Walton. Malik is going to be the steal of the spring for someone and Walton is a long shot to qualify which is why he's still on the board but he's a fantastic scorer. I'm not sure what's going on with Traci Carter. I'd prefer him over Lovett but maybe there isn't mutual interest.

So why did we get rid of Norm is continuity is key at the head coaching position? We could have hoped the bad got better with him too

Norm never finished more then one game above .500 in 6 seasons. Let's be real here, things are far from perfect under Lavin but Norm was terrible.

I bet a guy like "goredmen" bitched incessantly about Norm, too. 

He'd probably complain about any coach roaming the sidelines.

Yeah I wasn't a huge Norm fan either, but who was? I was just merely pointing out how ridiculous of a statement that is that coaching stability is the most important thing in college basketball. If that was the case we would have never fired Norm and no coaches would ever be fired.

If you want to accept the mediocrity that is this program that's fine with me. I want this program to be great. I don't think Lavin is the guy that will make this program great. I'd love for him to prove me wrong. But to pass on rising stars like the Hurleys or whoever else in the name of "stability" is just asinine

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 10:19:08 AM »
If St. John's wants him I'm pretty sure they have Lovett. I've said numerous times I'm not a big fan and think his flaws are seriously masked on his internet presence. However he does have raw potential and its a risk I'd take at this point.

Cheick loves NY and might be the best thing St. John's has going for them. He's a simple kid and as long as he's playing, which he'd obviously do here, then he'll be happy.

Greek kid isn't bad, not super polished, but true centers rarely are. He'd be a good get but I think he's kind of a long shot at playing NCAA.

I love Sampson. He's the real deal and will have a career along the lines of D-Lo. It's so disappointing Briscoe didn't commit because this truly would have been one of the best backcourts in the country day 1.

I think sprinkle in a juco, transfer, or both and program is fine for next year. Continuity is key at the head coaching position and grass isn't any greener elsewhere. Just have to accept the bad with the good and hope the bad gets better.

My sleeper recruits are Malik Ellison and KJ Walton. Malik is going to be the steal of the spring for someone and Walton is a long shot to qualify which is why he's still on the board but he's a fantastic scorer. I'm not sure what's going on with Traci Carter. I'd prefer him over Lovett but maybe there isn't mutual interest.

Are we involved with either Malik Ellison or KJ Walton?

No
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

hnk

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »
By the way, a good first step on all this would be getting in the tournament this year  A real chance to showcase how much our guys have improved during their St. John's stints (CO,  Phil, Sheed,Dom!!!!)

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 01:05:30 PM »
I would venture to guess if Thon Maker reclassifys (looks likely) and commits to KY our odds go up.

hnk

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 01:14:02 PM »
Agree....but one way or the other ,they'll have way too many bigs for our guy...he likes to play and is used to playing big minutes.....with us the only thing that will stop him from playing is foul trouble.

hnk

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
Need to focus the wishing on Saturday for now.

hnk

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »
OSNA's Yakwe is a potential recruit too.

hnk

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »
Hopefully, this year's tourney appearance will encourage Rysheed and CO to stay one more year and see what they can get done as the leaders next year....(with Sampson, Diallo etc!!!!)

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 10:26:51 AM »
Hopefully, this year's tourney appearance will encourage Rysheed and CO to stay one more year and see what they can get done as the leaders next year....(with Sampson, Diallo etc!!!!)

I think Harrison can have some impact on Rysheed coming back and helping Rysheed make the right decision.  Rysheed is improving for sure but two things are going to kill his NBA stock right now and they are his handle and his maturity.  Both red flags right now and he he needs to work on both.  Look at how much Harrison has matured and you can see what Rysheed needs to search to obtain.  He's definitely got NBA talent and athleticism. Mhave to show maturity and out his game together a bit yet by improving his handle and decision-making and become a true PG.

hnk

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »
What is the date when players have to opt into the NBA draft?

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2015, 02:08:43 PM »

I think Harrison can have some impact on Rysheed coming back and helping Rysheed make the right decision.  Rysheed is improving for sure but two things are going to kill his NBA stock right now and they are his handle and his maturity.  Both red flags right now and he he needs to work on both.  Look at how much Harrison has matured and you can see what Rysheed needs to search to obtain.  He's definitely got NBA talent and athleticism. Mhave to show maturity and out his game together a bit yet by improving his handle and decision-making and become a true PG.

Sheed needs to prove to NBA Scouts that he can put together a full season of positive production both on and off the court.

I actually think Greene likely has the greatest influence over Sheed.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe they're roommates and from the little we've heard about the relationship, it appears that Greene treats Sheed like a little brother.  Essentially pushing Sheed to keep his mind right.

hnk

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
All of the elements of my wishful thinking are still in play.  it will be an interesting few days/weeks.  I haven't given up....yet.  I think Diallo is the key.  We have a shot.

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 05:23:28 PM »
All of the elements of my wishful thinking are still in play.  it will be an interesting few days/weeks.  I haven't given up....yet.  I think Diallo is the key.  We have a shot.
sadly, a move needs to be made before he decides in May.  A coach coming in May is significantly more difficult. It makes the AAU summer circuit a lot tougher too with the quick turnover

hnk

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 05:38:33 PM »
He could decide any time.  He could certainly decide in April.

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 06:45:58 PM »
He could decide any time.  He could certainly decide in April.
By mid-April would be ok.  Anything later I'd say exceeded the time needed to figure out the 3-5 as well as 10 year plan.  Guys like the Hurleys might stay a long time if they experience some sustained success.

hnk

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 11:08:54 AM »
The dominoes are still alive (with the probable exception of Lovett, but just switch to the Italian guard)   One sports blog even speculates our chances for Diallo are improved (I doubt that, but who knows.)

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 11:42:55 AM »
The dominoes are still alive (with the probable exception of Lovett, but just switch to the Italian guard)   One sports blog even speculates our chances for Diallo are improved (I doubt that, but who knows.)
You saw my other post about Stone to MD?

Right now, some stuff is happening I never expected.  If stars align all around along with all these dominos, some crazy good stuff can still possibly go down.  Stranger things have happened.  It's why all these universities keep shaking the coaching snow globe.

hnk

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Can you imagine all of a sudden we'd have Pappa, Diallo, CO, Adonis, and 2nd year Ali as bigs?

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »
Can you imagine all of a sudden we'd have Pappa, Diallo, CO, Adonis, and 2nd year Ali as bigs?
Yeah, we'll have too many bigs and no guards - lol

hnk

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 12:26:52 PM »
I think we r both probably delusional, but  one can hope.  Right now we don't even have a coach.