Where does Lavin rank amongst Big East Coaches?

• 60 replies
Where does Lavin rank amongst Big East Coaches?
« on: March 03, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »
Jay Wright
John Thompson III
Greg McDermott
Chris Mack
Ed Cooley
Oliver Purnell
Kevin Willard
Steve Wojciechowski
Chris Holtmann
Steve Lavin

Lists your power rankings 1-10
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Where does Lavin rank amongst Big East Coaches?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »
In terms of who I would take to coach my team:

1. Jay Wright
2. Chris Mack
3. Ed Cooley
4. Steve Wojciechowski
5. Chris Holtmann
6. Steve Lavin
7. JT3
8. Greg McDermott
9. Oliver Purnell
10. Kevin Willard

desco80

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 03:55:46 PM »
I'm listing them in the order in which I would like them to coach my team.    Not necessarily based on how theyve done this season.

Jay Wright
John Thompson III
Steve Wojciechowski
Chris Mack
Chris Holtmann
Ed Cooley
Kevin Willard
Greg McDermott
Steve Lavin
Oliver Purnell
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:09:17 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »
@STJ11Redmen and @desco80 really drinking the Woj kool-aid hard.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:01:35 PM by Dave »

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:00:53 PM »
Wright
Cooley
Mack
Holtmann
JT3
Woj
McD
Lavin
Willard
Purnell

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 04:07:33 PM »
In order of who I want to coach SJU:

Jay Wright
Lavin
Mack
JTIII
Holtmann
McDermott
Cooley
Woj
Willard
Purnell

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:11:39 PM »
In terms of who I would take to recruit and coach my team:

1. Jay Wright
2. Chris Holtmann
3. JT3
4. Steve Lavin
5. Ed Cooley
6. Chris Mack
7. Greg McDermott
8. Steve Wojciechowski
9. Kevin Willard
10. Oliver Purnell

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »
1-Jay Wright
2-Cooley
3-Mack
4-Holtmann
5-McDermott
6-Wojo
7-Lavin
8-JT 3
9-Willard
10-Purnell

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 04:31:10 PM »
1. Wright
T-2. Mack Cooley Lavin JT3
T-6. Holtmann McDermott Wojo
9. Willard
10. Purnell

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 04:32:34 PM »
Marco you have a lot of guys on that list ahead of JTIII who haven't won anywhere near as much or recruited anywhere near as well.  Last few years in the tourney got you down on hi
?

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 04:35:55 PM »
Marco you have a lot of guys on that list ahead of JTIII who haven't won anywhere near as much or recruited anywhere near as well.  Last few years in the tourney got you down on hi
?

Where All American talent goes to die. JT 3

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 04:39:17 PM »
I'm curious why some people would be so high on Wojo when he is in his first year and his team is last in the conference.  No knock on him but he hasn't shown anything yet.  Aside from Lavin, how could he be put ahead of Cooley, Mack or JTIII?  Even Holtman has accomplished more to this point. 

Imo, the jury is still out on McDermott.  He has had success at the mid-major level and in his first year in the Big East with the National Player of the Year.  It remains to be seen if he can succeed at this level.  I think he can but we will have to see.  Last year, I thought he ran a great offensive scheme.  They were so disciplined and efficient.  This year, they look disorganized  without  their two best players from last year.  Same coach, same offensive system (I assume) but the plays look very different.

desco80

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »
?

He did pretty well at Princeton without any talent.

TONYD3

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 04:40:16 PM »
I think McDermott is the best game coach. If both he and Lavin stay in big east, Lavin beats him 7/10 times. The league is filled with good coaches. Willard coaches a good game. Tough to win at seton hall. 2 months ago I would have said Purnel is by far the worst, but he has done a good job in big east. Butler coach may be getting a little to much credit. Brian Mahoney looked good after 30 games.

sju89tr

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »
I think McDermott is the best game coach. If both he and Lavin stay in big east, Lavin beats him 7/10 times. The league is filled with good coaches. Willard coaches a good game. Tough to win at seton hall. 2 months ago I would have said Purnel is by far the worst, but he has done a good job in big east. Butler coach may be getting a little to much credit. Brian Mahoney looked good after 30 games.

How Mahoney pulled off a class of Lopez Zendon and Turner still shocks me 

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »
1. Jay Wright- Most proven commodity. Continues to recruit well and win games.
2. JTIII- 2nd best track record in Big East. A solid recruiter and gets guys who fit his system.
3. Lavin- His recruiting is superior than anyone below. Keeps ship steady and his guys don't quit. There is something to that.
4. Ed Cooley- Close to Lavin in recruiting department but Lavin has been him in both recruiting and on court.
5. Chris Mack- One of the better coaches and better recruiters in the league. Team will always be in contention to be in top half of league.
6. Greg McDermott- Arguably the best x/o guy in the conference. Is a grade below in the arms race recruiting.
7. Chris Holtmann- Has proven to be a great coach this year but hasn't done enough to warrant to move too far up yet.
8. Kevin Willard- Is finally getting some really good talent in at Seton Hall. They've had some bumps but trending up.
9. Steve Wojciechowski- Got a MCAA to commit in his first year. He has potential but will have to improve guards.
10. Oliver Purnell- Most likely getting fired. Tough sell at DePaul.

I think overall this race is close. Wright and JTIII are rightfully in Tier 1. Lav, Cooley, Mack are particularly close as SJU, PC, X have had similar success in past 3-4 years as Tier 2. McDermott needs to prove he can have success post McBuckets. Both Holtmann and Willard have horses in the stable who will only get better. Woj just doesn't have a track record to stand on yet and Purnell is gone.

LoganK

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 05:06:37 PM »
1- Jay Wright - I don't think this is a question
2- Chris Mack - Solid all around from what little I know
3- Chris Holtmann - BE coach of the year, national coach of the year candidate.  It's early, obviously, but he's gotten this team well ahead of schedule.
4- John Thompson III - Think Lavin underperforms in the postseason?  Was also supposed to be a top 3 BE team last year
5- Ed Cooley - I'm not sure why, because I think I'm supposed to hate him, but I'm an Ed Cooley fan.
6- Steve Lavin- Never heard of him
7a- Kevin Willard- Don't love the way it happened, but got recruits.  Now if he can just get them to like each other...
7b- Greg McDermott - When he wins without his son, I'll buy in.
9- Steve Wojciechowski* -team was destroyed during the coaching change, wasn't much he could do about that, but he also hasn't shown much in year one, and someone had to be 9th
10- Oliver Purnell

goredmen

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »

4. Ed Cooley- Close to Lavin in recruiting department but Lavin has been him in both recruiting and on court.

Not in the most important game of both team's season last year on our home court

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 05:44:52 PM »
?

?

He had the talent that is generally symbolic of the Ivy League.  Princeton dominated the league for years.

He was coming behind a lineage of success when he took over for Bill Carmody (who took over for Petey Carril).  We all have a good idea why and how he got the G'town job.  He has done a solid job, but I'm not particularly a fan of him when it comes to coaching.

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 05:45:28 PM »

Not in the most important game of both team's season last year on our home court

Guess their record against one another.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:46:05 PM by mjdinkins »