Marquette Game 2

• 169 replies

Marillac

Re: Marquette Game 2
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2015, 11:43:22 PM »
Marillac, otis doesn't post here and you've mentioned him 3 times in the span of 10 mins, in 3 different threads.

Desco, the "man" is the worst troll on either board.  He deserves every bit of this.  He is a nasty, miserable guy that has taken cheap shot after cheap shot at Lavin due to some personal issue and has gone out of his way to praise nearly every other coach in the conference...including Wojo--who, quite honestly, could not have done any worse this season.

All during what likely will be our best season in 15 years. 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:47:42 PM by Marillac »

redslope

« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2015, 11:59:18 PM »
Pointer might be the most improved player in the history of SJU. Can anyone think of a player that has improved more than Dom in the span of one year? 

People forget David Cain who went from a basic non entity for hos first 3 years to a first teamer in the Big East as a senior.  That year he was a court general who made Mahoney Coach of year in Big East.  His performance was totally unexpected and he was not a highly recruited player from HS.

redslope

« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2015, 12:03:40 AM »
Looks like team will have to go straight to Philly with the snow.  They will probably be stuck in Midwest tomorrow. 

Tonight must have been similar to the "Wonder 5".  Great job by the guys!!!!

Marillac

« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2015, 12:17:59 AM »
Great job by Rysheed. He's be excellent lately...not taking too much.  All of his shots were good shots that I saw tonight...got to step into all of them from deep and nothing off the bounce.  D was good...always good on the boards.  I hope the staff is staying in his ear with positive reinforcement because we are so much tougher to beat when he plays team first ball. 

Dom didn't bring the points and had some wild shots, but he was amazing in all other areas. 

Amar needs to stay closer to his man on D...really just scratching the surface of what he can offer.  When he starts getting regular touches (next season) he'll open some eyes I believe.  He works his arse off on screens...sets screen after screen every possession and is actually a b*tch to get around.

« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2015, 12:22:13 AM »
Great win. Finally believe we are a lock. I sort of want a 6-7 seed and I think a win at Nova could do that.

« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2015, 12:39:58 AM »
Also I know people want to beat Nova, but I would strongly consider resting certain guys depending on how banged up they are, or at least limiting the minutes.
Give it a half, maybe even 30 minutes to see how close of a game it is. If Nova is on with its shooting and has a double digit lead for much of the game, you opt to fight for another day and put in the reserves and give them the minutes.

Marillac

« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2015, 12:44:43 AM »
Also I know people want to beat Nova, but I would strongly consider resting certain guys depending on how banged up they are, or at least limiting the minutes.
Give it a half, maybe even 30 minutes to see how close of a game it is. If Nova is on with its shooting and has a double digit lead for much of the game, you opt to fight for another day and put in the reserves and give them the minutes.

#1 thing is to come out healthy.  We don't have the 2010-2011 bench. 
We're in and there is no question.  As long as we don't find ourselves as an 8/9 in Kentucky's region, two wins will be very possible regardless if we are a 5 or 9 seed.

Our next two games are @ Nova (#5 RPI) and a neutral court game against Butler (#25) or Providence (#23). A Nova win is just a cherry on top of an already good sundae. 

« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2015, 12:45:17 AM »

I would do the same. Confidence gained by beating Nova would go a long way. If the game isn't close, put all the subs in.

Poison

« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:35 AM »
Pointer might be the most improved player in the history of SJU. Can anyone think of a player that has improved more than Dom in the span of one year? 

People forget David Cain who went from a basic non entity for hos first 3 years to a first teamer in the Big East as a senior.  That year he was a court general who made Mahoney Coach of year in Big East.  His performance was totally unexpected and he was not a highly recruited player from HS.

I don't think that's true. I could be wrong, but I think he was a highly regarded recruit. Lou didn't bring in many fillers.

« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:58 AM »
We're in and there is no question.  As long as we don't find ourselves as an 8/9 in Kentucky's region, two wins will be very possible regardless if we are a 5 or 9 seed.

Our next two games are @ Nova (#5 RPI) and a neutral court game against Butler (#25) or Providence (#23). A Nova win is just a cherry on top of an already good sundae.

Looks pretty likely barring a massive upset in the BET that Nova will meet the 4/5 winner(St Johns looks likely for this) so St Johns may very well get another crack at Nova next week at MSG. If Nova does a number on St Johns in Philly, it will only fuel the seniors who were relegated to the bench to go after Villanova to not let that happen again.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:16:38 AM by Blindsided »

Marillac

« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2015, 01:22:52 AM »

Looks pretty likely barring a massive upset in the BET that Nova will meet the 4/5 winner(St Johns looks likely for this) so St Johns may very well get another crack at Nova next week at MSG. If Nova does a number on St Johns in Philly, it will only fuel the seniors who were relegated to the bench to go after Villanova to not let that happen again.

More reason to rest Branch.
Try to get Amar 15-20 minutes and get him some touches inside.  We'll need him.

« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2015, 01:40:38 AM »
Congratulations to Phil Greene IV for passing Carmine fave Paris "Hilton" Horne to move into 31st place on the St. John's University all-time scoring list.

Mr. Horne was a key component of the 2010/11 Norm recruited team that Hollywood and Dunlap took to the dance in their first season in Queens.  He leaped tall buildings in a single bound; he ran like a gazelle; he shot well from 3; he scored inside too; defended great; once shot 12 for 13 against Rutgers; and had an uncanny knack for securing offensive rebounds off of missed free throw attempts.

« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2015, 02:30:13 AM »
We went from 0 and 3 and 2 and 6 to 10 and 7 in conference.  Just a remarkable turnaround.  :)

Very unique box score with 4 starters playing 40 minutes.

Both teams shot a Cyoish combined 16 for 35 from the line.   

Nova game is Saturday at 1200 and our BE tourney game is Thurs. at 2:30.  We can go for the win with this much time to recuperate.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:37:27 AM by carmineabbatiello »

TONYD3

« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2015, 08:16:47 AM »
If they don't play all out to win Saturday the players will and should revolt. These guys have fought to hard to quit . This is not a throw away game.

Tha Kid

« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »
Marillac, otis doesn't post here and you've mentioned him 3 times in the span of 10 mins, in 3 different threads.

Desco, the "man" is the worst troll on either board.  He deserves every bit of this.  He is a nasty, miserable guy that has taken cheap shot after cheap shot at Lavin due to some personal issue and has gone out of his way to praise nearly every other coach in the conference...including Wojo--who, quite honestly, could not have done any worse this season.

All during what likely will be our best season in 15 years.

Wojo is in year 1 and has a top 5 recruit going to Marquette next year.  Dude doesn't deaerve to be killed.  He will be a good but not great coach.
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2015, 09:13:15 AM »
Marquette thoughts: http://www.bigeastboards.com/

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »

« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2015, 10:42:55 AM »
Even without his shot falling, dom was so dangerous in the middle of the zone with his ability to hit that mid-range jumper and his ability to slash and his ability to find the open jump shooter.  Dom in the middle is the key if we get zoned in the tourney.  He was a little sloppy last night but still so much fun to watch.

dR3w

« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2015, 10:45:18 AM »
First I would like to congratulate the team on a hard fought win.  Dom is so great on defense.

I just am bothered by the lack of substitutions.  They looked exhausted.  I know depth is bad, and Branch is hurt, but can't you give these guys a blow with someone like Felix here and there?.  Villanova is just around the corner, then the BE tourney and Lavin needs to find some rest for these guys.  They won by 16, and I know it wasn't really a blowout, but Lavin can't find 5-10 minutes for anyone other than Amar?   Probably too late in the season to be preaching this, but I found it more frustrating than normal last night.

« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »
Personally I don't find Big East Board to be insightful or entertaining.  Just a hater.