Marquette Game 2

• 169 replies

ras

Re: Marquette Game 2
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2015, 10:58:21 AM »
First I would like to congratulate the team on a hard fought win.  Dom is so great on defense.

I just am bothered by the lack of substitutions.  They looked exhausted.  I know depth is bad, and Branch is hurt, but can't you give these guys a blow with someone like Felix here and there?.  Villanova is just around the corner, then the BE tourney and Lavin needs to find some rest for these guys.  They won by 16, and I know it wasn't really a blowout, but Lavin can't find 5-10 minutes for anyone other than Amar?   Probably too late in the season to be preaching this, but I found it more frustrating than normal last night.
I agree. Specifically w DLO and Chris still injured. Playing DLO 40 min a game is a recipe for prolonging his injury.

« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2015, 11:13:33 AM »
Need to clean up the foul shooting.  Has been fairly poor over the last couple (Xavier and Marquette).  Will likely be a difference maker in Big East and NCAA

SJUFAN

« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »
First I would like to congratulate the team on a hard fought win.  Dom is so great on defense.

I just am bothered by the lack of substitutions.  They looked exhausted.  I know depth is bad, and Branch is hurt, but can't you give these guys a blow with someone like Felix here and there?.  Villanova is just around the corner, then the BE tourney and Lavin needs to find some rest for these guys.  They won by 16, and I know it wasn't really a blowout, but Lavin can't find 5-10 minutes for anyone other than Amar?   Probably too late in the season to be preaching this, but I found it more frustrating than normal last night.
I agree. Specifically w DLO and Chris still injured. Playing DLO 40 min a game is a recipe for prolonging his injury.

DLO and Chris have been cleared to play, they should play. Coach has done a tremendous job slowly ramping up the minutes. We have a 6 man rotation. Amar will be good, but he struggles defensively. The players need to be prepared to play 40 minutes, you don't do that by resting them 5-10 minutes because "they need a blow". Outside of foul trouble, they need to play the entire game.

As a side note, I read all the criticisms of Lavin and it really starts with the level of basketball acumen of the poster. Just because some of you may not understand why Lavin does what he is doing doesn't mean coach doesn't know what he is doing. Maybe, just, maybe, he knows a little more than any of us.   

« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2015, 11:53:04 AM »

DLO and Chris have been cleared to play, they should play. Coach has done a tremendous job slowly ramping up the minutes. We have a 6 man rotation. Amar will be good, but he struggles defensively. The players need to be prepared to play 40 minutes, you don't do that by resting them 5-10 minutes because "they need a blow". Outside of foul trouble, they need to play the entire game.

As a side note, I read all the criticisms of Lavin and it really starts with the level of basketball acumen of the poster. Just because some of you may not understand why Lavin does what he is doing doesn't mean coach doesn't know what he is doing. Maybe, just, maybe, he knows a little more than any of us.   
I couldn't agree more on last segment about coach knowing more than us... Especially the timeout thread. Hysterical... Last night was a good example of one of his timeouts when the cameras were in the huddle. Lavin was explaining how his timeout was used to the players explaining that his time out along with the TV timeout coming up would give the players about 5 minutes of rest. That's exactly what one poster just said "give the players a 5-10 min rest to bring in others off bench." Why bring in other players less talented to just give rest when team is winning?  Lavin used a timeout strategically to give players rest and resume play fresh without missing a beat.  I think i have read every possible complaint from people outside of where players are sitting on plane or bus on road trips.

TONYD3

« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »
I stick up for Lavin all the time. However, he does a lot of dumb shit. 

cjfish

« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2015, 12:18:56 PM »

Needed this win to guarantee a Bid.  I think Lavin could not take any chances and so played it like a must in with 4 guys playing 40.  Good move on his part.  Did not need a bad loss.  Everyone expects a loss at Nova, if we win just icing on the cake.  At this point we are in no matter what.

TONYD3

« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2015, 12:21:02 PM »
thursday is most likey not sold out. ticketmaster or stubhub. Wont be expensive

hnk

« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »
Right now, six  center sections in the 100's are $200 plus.....on vivid, stubhub.....

dR3w

« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »

It's strange how all the other programs in the country don't settle for a 5 or 6 man rotation this time of year.  Every team should just play their 5 or 6 best players until they drop.   Why redshirt or recruit players if you can't find 5 minutes for them to play after 3 seasons?

Just because players are cleared, doesn't mean much.  Competitors will always push themselves to the limit to win.  Did you not see Obekpa come up hobbling late in the 2nd half? 

Ramping up the minutes?  The same five or six guys have been getting the majority of the minutes all season.  It took him 1/3rd of a season to start giving Amar any minutes at all.

I don't pretend to know more than the coach.  He knows his players, but the coach isn't devoid of criticism.  He isn't devoid of mistakes, and he has an agenda (for lack of better terms) to win.  You ever think maybe, just maybe he feels pressure to win?   I don't ... but then again, my acumen obviously isn't up to snuff.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:25:53 PM by dR3w »

« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2015, 12:25:07 PM »
the massive problem with this team is depth...branch out, so Alibegovic is playing...wow

I wonder why no Felix tonight.
Lavin thinking of redshirting him or he didn't have a good week of practice?  :)

hnk

« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »
For the last several games, until last night, Coach Lavin was mixing in other players to spell the main six.

hnk

« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »
...maybe because of injuries and/or foul trouble.

« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »
What is going on with Harrison, and don't say injury

He's clearly off.  Residue from injury. Why can't that be it?
When his shots are falling he is healthy, when he is missing he is hurt.

LoganK

« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »
Personally I don't find Big East Board to be insightful or entertaining.  Just a hater.
After last game: The marquette game is a toss up.  After we beat Marquette by 16: They played lousy.  No pleasing some people.

« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2015, 12:37:17 PM »

I couldn't agree more on last segment about coach knowing more than us... Especially the timeout thread. Hysterical... Last night was a good example of one of his timeouts when the cameras were in the huddle. Lavin was explaining how his timeout was used to the players explaining that his time out along with the TV timeout coming up would give the players about 5 minutes of rest. That's exactly what one poster just said "give the players a 5-10 min rest to bring in others off bench." Why bring in other players less talented to just give rest when team is winning?  Lavin used a timeout strategically to give players rest and resume play fresh without missing a beat.  I think i have read every possible complaint from people outside of where players are sitting on plane or bus on road trips.

Won't lie I was impressed he had it so calculated down to when he took the timeout and mapped it out with TV timeouts. He was very well prepared.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »
Personally I don't find Big East Board to be insightful or entertaining.  Just a hater.
After last game: The marquette game is a toss up.  After we beat Marquette by 16: They played lousy.  No pleasing some people.

I enjoy watching Saint John's play basketball. I enjoy writing my little spoofs afterwards. Often in my spoofs I give the games a figurative thumb's down because the play has made me unhappy. Then you read the spoofs - and evidently commit them to memory - and afterwards give them a literal thumb's down because they make you unhappy.

The difference seems to be that I'm enjoying what I'm doing and you're doing something that make you unhappy, either that or you're made happy by being negative about something that brings others joy. I freely admitting getting off on other people's misery. What's your excuse?

« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2015, 12:56:08 PM »

I enjoy watching Saint John's play basketball. I enjoy writing my little spoofs afterwards. Often in my spoofs I give the games a figurative thumb's down because the play has made me unhappy. Then you read the spoofs - and evidently commit them to memory - and afterwards give them a literal thumb's down because they make you unhappy.

The difference seems to be that I'm enjoying what I'm doing and you're doing something that make you unhappy, either that or you're made happy by being negative about something that brings others joy. I freely admitting getting off on other people's misery. What's your excuse?

Keep writing. If you enjoy it great. If others do too even better. If they don't who cares.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »

Keep writing. If you enjoy it great. If others do too even better. If they don't who cares.
I find joy in the guys currently going 8-1 in this stretch when most board members thought 7-3 would be hard. Win or lose at Villanova, 8-2 has been achieved.  All should give credit where it's due.

There are many silver linings to find in all these wins. If some dont see it, they're blind or barely looking.

LoganK

« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2015, 01:08:46 PM »

Well, it's not committed to memory; you post them on one continuous stream so when I scrolled down (seeing if there was any more) I saw that line in the previous game post.  I assure you, i don't have the memory nor the motivation to memorize what you write.  However, be happy to know I do read most of your recaps.  That would be the point of you writing them, so good on you.  I enjoy your writing style for the most part, just not the vitriol you spew.

I find it interesting that you seem to know what makes me happy and what makes me unhappy.  Since you asked, my perspective is that I pity people who seem to be unable to find joy in anything, especially a game.  If the recaps are truly a spoof, and not your apparent frustration and anger at the world (now I'm pretending to know something about you), then I guess that pity is misplaced.  That being said, everyone gets off on other people's misery (schadenfreude) to some degree. We're 21-9, and I can only recall one "thumbs up" post after a game - but perhaps my memory is off.

All that psychobabble being said, I can understand the jaded point of view.  After all, we are St. John's.  It would just seem to be more beneficial to enjoy the good moments while they're here, rather than simply focus on everything bad that has happened and will continue to happen.  Differing life philosophies I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:10:50 PM by LoganK »

SJUFAN

« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2015, 01:19:19 PM »

It's strange how all the other programs in the country don't settle for a 5 or 6 man rotation this time of year.  Every team should just play their 5 or 6 best players until they drop.   Why redshirt or recruit players if you can't find 5 minutes for them to play after 3 seasons?

Just because players are cleared, doesn't mean much.  Competitors will always push themselves to the limit to win.  Did you not see Obekpa come up hobbling late in the 2nd half? 

Ramping up the minutes?  The same five or six guys have been getting the majority of the minutes all season.  It took him 1/3rd of a season to start giving Amar any minutes at all.

I don't pretend to know more than the coach.  He knows his players, but the coach isn't devoid of criticism.  He isn't devoid of mistakes, and he has an agenda (for lack of better terms) to win.  You ever think maybe, just maybe he feels pressure to win?   I don't ... but then again, my acumen obviously isn't up to snuff.

If a player needs a rest because its effecting his play on the floor that's one thing, but to pull him just to give him some rest is not what you want to do if your preparing them to play 40 minutes. There are many teams that use a short rotation, we played one last night. Its not because they want to use a short rotation, its because the other players are not good enough. Nothing wrong with criticism, there have been things that I may not have agreed with Lavin on and feel he could have done a better job recruiting last year. However, this notion that he can't coach is nonsense, imo.