ESPN article on High Risk, High Reward teams

• 29 replies
ESPN article on High Risk, High Reward teams
« on: March 04, 2015, 01:20:17 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=4811

St. John’s Red Storm (20-9, 9-7 Big East)

Current Bracket Standing: No. 9 seed
BPI: 43
KenPom: 37

Ask any coach in the Big East, and they will tell you -- without hesitation -- that the Red Storm are the most talented team in the league. Yet Steve Lavin’s team is just 9-7 in conference play. There are times when D’Angelo Harrison looks like a first-team All-American, and others when the Red Storm’s leading scorer makes poor decisions and looks like he’s on the playground. This is a team that battled Gonzaga and Duke at Madison Square Garden and went on the road and knocked off Syracuse and Providence. It’s also a group that lost six of eight games at one point, including two to DePaul and Creighton.

St. John’s could wind up playing in the 8-9 game, and is exactly the kind of team that no No. 1 seed would want to see on the second game of the first weekend. Not with Harrison, Sir'Dominic Pointer, Rysheed Jordan, Phil Greene IV and shot-blocker Chris Obekpa. Those are five high-level talents, and the Red Storm also have no shortage of experience. But this is also a group that could fail to even reach that second game.

Re: ESPN article on High Risk, High Reward teams
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 02:36:53 PM »
How many St. John's games has Goodman actually watched? My guess is no more than 2 games.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »
How many St. John's games has Goodman actually watched? My guess is no more than 2 games.

I don't think he watched any BE ball in general. He tweeted the other day that Arciadiacono would be one of two guys he'd consider for BE POY

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »

I don't think he watched any BE ball in general. He tweeted the other day that Arciadiacono would be one of two guys he'd consider for BE POY

Well number don't tell all. Arch is the straw that stirs the drink for Nova. Really key cog to the team.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
Should note that Goodman will admit he doesn't know what channel Fox Sports is

hnk

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 02:57:22 PM »
Lavin said he'd vote for Arch.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »

What do you guys disagree with?

goredmen

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »
Arch is a very nice player, a key cog as any PG is to a good team, but he's not the best player on his own team, let alone the conference

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 03:52:18 PM »
Arch is not a key cog...hes the worst player in their starting 5.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 04:09:27 PM »
I do not believe we are the most talented roster in the Big East.  We are in the top 4-5, but were more talented last year.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 04:12:05 PM »
Is there a better duo than Pointer and Harrison in Big East?

hnk

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 04:12:18 PM »
Talent: Nova.....Georgetown.....Probably Providence...we have no depth....no height and less width....and i love our team.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 04:21:09 PM »
I think best duo, D'lo and Dom are on par with Dunn and Henton as the best pair.  1-5, I think we are about equal to Nova as best roster in the league.  Georgetown is probably 3rd and Butler 4th.  I think there is a significant drop off after PC's top two.

The difference between Nova and us is the consistency.  They have a system that works, and new guys are plugged into it.  We have a group that has grown up together and haven't always known how to play together.  Also, the new cogs haven't always blended in smoothly.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 04:46:07 PM »
Arch got more coach votes for BE POY than Pointer in Zags' poll of BE coaches....

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 05:32:18 PM »
Nova and Georgetown are more talented, for starters.  I don't think Xaver is far off.  Providence is a different animal because their top 2 is the best due in the conference.  And there are a bunch of others duos in the same league as Dom/Harrison (and I love these kids). 

desco80

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 06:16:48 PM »
I don't know why you guys are saying we don't have the talent.
This year and last, every coach in the conference has said he would want our talent.    We have some very skilled kids.
Personally I think we have the most talent in our starting five.  I think Nova has the best combo of talent, depth, and experience. 

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 06:19:15 PM »
This year and last, every coach in the conference has said he would want our talent.    We have some very skilled kids.
Personally I think we have the most talent in our starting five.  I think Nova has the best combo of talent, depth, and experience. 
I think we have talent. Expecting some big things this month.

desco80

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 06:23:48 PM »
I think we have talent. Expecting some big things this month.

You and me both.  We need health though.   If Harrison doesn't play like he was in December, we're in trouble.  (not tonight, but going forward)

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
I do not believe we are the most talented roster in the Big East.  We are in the top 4-5, but were more talented last year.

Who would you rather have? Jordan or Arch?

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 06:45:31 PM »
Think you need to read my post again Desco.  Saying that we have the third most talented roster in the conference behind Nova and Gtown, and that we had even more talent last year, is hardly saying we don't have talent. Our top 6 can play with anyone. But Nova has really talented 7-9 players, and we don't. Hence why I think on balance those two rosters have more talent. Last year I think we were the most talented team in the Big East.

And my view is not 100% based on rankings coming into college, though that is obviously a factor. Look at Marquette's roster - they have a bunch of top 50/75 kids who will be suiting up tonight, and I don't think they are near the top of the conference in terms of talent.