Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #460 on: March 26, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
BTW, in case you haven't noticed NYC players have in general been sh!t lately... The city doesn't produce quality or quantity any longer. 
The ones worth recruiting, have been recruited, we won some and lost others.  Pretty much how it is regardless of coach...
Wish we were on Jordan Tucker, even if suburban...

« Reply #461 on: March 26, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »
Are they in contract negotiations or is Lavin seeing Diallo today? Or neither?

Conspicuously absent from your scenario analysis is the possibility of doing both in one day.  Centereach is less than an hour from campus.

Can't do 1 without doing the other.

Christ the King is closer

Masterful deflection.

« Reply #462 on: March 26, 2015, 02:12:39 PM »

Conspicuously absent from your scenario analysis is the possibility of doing both in one day.  Centereach is less than an hour from campus.

Masterful deflection.

Masterful edit.

I was going to ask what strings you meant

« Reply #463 on: March 26, 2015, 02:14:17 PM »
BTW, in case you haven't noticed NYC players have in general been sh!t lately... The city doesn't produce quality or quantity any longer. 
The ones worth recruiting, have been recruited, we won some and lost others.  Pretty much how it is regardless of coach...

Good post, I agree Pete.

« Reply #464 on: March 26, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »
Gentrification pushing out all the ballers.  Happening in DC too.  Never thought I'd see lots of kids skateboarding and all other sorts of stuff in parks, sidewalks...unbelievable

« Reply #465 on: March 26, 2015, 02:18:50 PM »

Masterful deflection.

Masterful edit.

I was going to ask what strings you meant

I misread it - though you initially meant CTK was closing the Lavin deal, not geographically closer.  Regardless, your biases are transparent despite your definitive tone

Poison

« Reply #466 on: March 26, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »
We've seen it before Baldi....

From what I've heard though the Arbs thing isn't Lavin and Co's fault.

With Baldi, it's all Lavin's fault.  Wait didn't we just get a player from there last year who you constantly belittle? 

It is Lavins fault

Lavin is the one making a salary, isn't he? Who should be responsible if a program is constantly losing players due to academics, and the players are constantly getting called for technical fouls, getting suspended or threatening to leave?

No single incident is ever Lavin's fault. But he's in charge. I hope the University is smart enough to make changes to help him. Obviously it's not all Lavin's fault, but if he's staying, then show the fans you're addressing glaring weaknesses.

With better help surrounding Lavin, he performs better.  We saw in 2010-2011.

As far as locals go, just get good players. If a McDonald's AA wants to play here, ok, we accept. If it's a sleeper, yes, Lavin could look more at local talent. He probably would have gotten more credit for Adonis Delarosa, if he actually was eligible to play for us.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:22:24 PM by Poison »

« Reply #467 on: March 26, 2015, 02:19:39 PM »
Gentrification pushing out all the ballers.  Happening in DC too.  Never thought I'd see lots of kids skateboarding and all other sorts of stuff in parks, sidewalks...unbelievable

Right on. Schoolyards and playgrounds are empty. Not to sound old, I'm 40, but I remember growing up in Rockaway....if you lost you had to wait an hour to get back on the court.  Shame

« Reply #468 on: March 26, 2015, 02:35:45 PM »
My best guess, for whatever it's worth, Lavin gets fired tomorrow

« Reply #469 on: March 26, 2015, 02:41:52 PM »

Right on. Schoolyards and playgrounds are empty. Not to sound old, I'm 40, but I remember growing up in Rockaway....if you lost you had to wait an hour to get back on the court.  Shame
You're not old - this happened in a matter of 10-20 years.  You were part of the tradition (waiting your turn).  The only time I see that happening is in my fitness center gym - lol  ballers have to go there to get good games.  My long time rec league couldn't keep older teams together.  At the end, we used to have 6-7 guys in their late 30s, early 40s playing against 20-25 y.o. teams.  We'd lead or stay close in the first half, then they just knew to keep running.  Survival of the fittest - lol.   I have a friend doing an older pickup league, but I have to drive 35+ miles - rather just shoot at the gym.

I remember some guys I caddied with as a teenager telling me that it made them sad that they got rid of midnight basketball in White Plains in the mid-late 70s.  They said it was organized, secure, and a place to stay away from trouble.  I was a surburbanite who thought everyone could just play in their neighborhood. It did open my eyes up to an image of a really fun scene - wish I could have had that too.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11216972/playground-basketball-dying
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:45:53 PM by bball purist »

Johnny23

« Reply #470 on: March 26, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »
The level of recruits is down in NYC, yes. However that's not to say that this is par for the course. If you look at rosters around the country (and I'm not talking about the powerhouses), there are big kids littered across roster in mid-majors and high majors that are from NYC or surrounding areas. A lot of these kids were under-recruited coming out of HS for a variety of reasons.

This is where scouting and talent evaluation comes into play. The SJU staff has done a poor job of identifying these diamonds in the rough. When I see these kids contributing in the #$%^ing MAC and other mid level conferences, it's a huge indictment on the laziness or the lack of talent evaluation by Lavin's staff.

Just because NYC doesn't produce talent the way it used to, doesn't mean you should turn a blind eye towards it because there's several kids who could've helped this team this year.

« Reply #471 on: March 26, 2015, 02:52:31 PM »
The level of recruits is down in NYC, yes. However that's not to say that this is par for the course. If you look at rosters around the country (and I'm not talking about the powerhouses), there are big kids littered across roster in mid-majors and high majors that are from NYC or surrounding areas. A lot of these kids were under-recruited coming out of HS for a variety of reasons.

This is where scouting and talent evaluation comes into play. The SJU staff has done a poor job of identifying these diamonds in the rough. When I see these kids contributing in the #$%^ing MAC and other mid level conferences, it's a huge indictment on the laziness or the lack of talent evaluation by Lavin's staff.

Just because NYC doesn't produce talent the way it used to, doesn't mean you should turn a blind eye towards it because there's several kids who could've helped this team this year.
I would never say turn a blind eye to any potential recruits, but the fact of the matter is what Pete, Baldi and I are talking about - the demographics are changing, and so is the recruiting landscape.

If I look at the WCAC, many of the players on DeMatha, Gonzaga, St. John's, whomever, incresingly come from the suburbs. When Glen Farello left Eleanor Roosevelt in Prince George's County, MD (just outside DC), he went to Fairfax County, VA WCAC member Paul VI, which was kind of like St. john's in the 2000s - experiencing an above average season every 4-5 years (Red Jenkins was the coach and had some D1 players go through).  But Farello comes in, and what does he do? He starts recruiting PG County like crazy, bringing in Stan Robinson, Franklin Howard, Marcus Derrickson.  It is just the way it is.  The times, they are a changing.  He who doesn't adapt, will be passed by.

BTW - and if Cuse can get Howard, so can we - I still don't know why the staff totally ignores DC - cannot compete with locals? Cuse does, Nova does... Time to start mining Baltimore - I can see it - maybe I'm foolish or unknowledgeable, but I know a sweet spot for SJ's when I see it. Gotta pluck a player or two from Charm City. No, not clowns like Carr, real D1 4 year city ballers.  They're still there in larger numbers in a smaller city. 

Look at Daxter Miles

"Ballers make plays, dudes are dudes."

https://youtu.be/09lxY8vNjiI
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:59:55 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #472 on: March 26, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »

You're not old - this happened in a matter of 10-20 years.  You were part of the tradition (waiting your turn).  The only time I see that happening is in my fitness center gym - lol  ballers have to go there to get good games.  My long time rec league couldn't keep older teams together.  At the end, we used to have 6-7 guys in their late 30s, early 40s playing against 20-25 y.o. teams.  We'd lead or stay close in the first half, then they just knew to keep running.  Survival of the fittest - lol.   I have a friend doing an older pickup league, but I have to drive 35+ miles - rather just shoot at the gym.

I remember some guys I caddied with as a teenager telling me that it made them sad that they got rid of midnight basketball in White Plains in the mid-late 70s.  They said it was organized, secure, and a place to stay away from trouble.  I was a surburbanite who thought everyone could just play in their neighborhood. It did open my eyes up to an image of a really fun scene - wish I could have had that too.

Great post bball. I went out for a few beers with my brother to watch the tourny on Thursday. We were talking about this same issue. He's going to bring his 3 kids into Brooklyn and leave them at schoolyard and let them get schooled on the court.  They are Long Island kids

« Reply #473 on: March 26, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »
People need to get over this NYC $hit.  Norm failed miserably trying to get NYC kids.  His quote:

"It pains me to see guys from New York City wearing other uniforms. It pains me to see guys winning national championships that should be playing at St. John's," Roberts said. "We're not going to get them all, it's impossible to get them all, but there won't be one kid in New York City that will say St. John's didn't bust their tail recruiting."

Kids want to LEAVE NYC.  Superstar or not, that is the goal.  If a kid doesn't reciprocate interest, f'em.  Move onto the kid from Louisiana or AZ who DOES want to come to NYC.   This argument about keeping NYC is so stupid.   People keep living in the past.  Which is why i think Lavin has likely rubbed local old school coaches the wrong way.  Lavin knows he's not going to win the local battle, with these local coaches only trying to serve themselves.  So Lavin goes outside the city where he doesn't have to deal with the local BS.  As far as I'm concerned, recruiting outside NYC is how we are going to see success.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:05:33 PM by redmen4life »

Johnny23

« Reply #474 on: March 26, 2015, 03:12:13 PM »

I would never say turn a blind eye to any potential recruits, but the fact of the matter is what Pete, Baldi and I are talking about - the demographics are changing, and so is the recruiting landscape.

If I look at the WCAC, many of the players on DeMatha, Gonzaga, St. John's, whomever, incresingly come from the suburbs. When Glen Farello left Eleanor Roosevelt in Prince George's County, MD (just outside DC), he went to Fairfax County, VA WCAC member Paul VI, which was kind of like St. john's in the 2000s - experiencing an above average season every 4-5 years (Red Jenkins was the coach and had some D1 players go through).  But Farello comes in, and what does he do? He starts recruiting PG County like crazy, bringing in Stan Robinson, Franklin Howard, Marcus Derrickson.  It is just the way it is.  The times, they are a changing.  He who doesn't adapt, will be passed by.

BTW - and if Cuse can get Howard, so can we - I still don't know why the staff totally ignores DC - cannot compete with locals? Cuse does, Nova does... Time to start mining Baltimore - I can see it - maybe I'm foolish or unknowledgeable, but I know a sweet spot for SJ's when I see it. Gotta pluck a player or two from Charm City. No, not clowns like Carr, real D1 4 year city ballers.  They're still there in larger numbers in a smaller city. 

Look at Daxter Miles

"Ballers make plays, dudes are dudes."

https://youtu.be/09lxY8vNjiI

I'm not disputing that demographics changes, that's obvious. Elizabeth HS in NJ used to be in the USA Top 25 in football and basketball in the 80 and early 90's and was a powerhouse. Different immigrant groups started moving in, these groups played soccer more than football and basketball and Elizabeth's hoops and football teams suffered.

My point is that it's obvious that all the powerhouses will go after the top kids from NY/NJ. The real issue though is to not look at the next tier of kids behind the blue chipper in the NY Metro area.

I played football and basketball in HS in Bergen county and had to play against the top inner city players from Jersey City, Paterson and Newark growing up in HS and AAU.

All that talent in North Jersey, and even Central Jersey nowadays, and I've rarely ever seen SJU in on these kids. These days, kids go to all different schools in NJ that no one even considered 20 years ago when I was in HS. It's not the Briscoes I'm mad about. It's the other kids on Roselle Catholic, Pope John, the Patrick School and all the other laundry list of schools in NJ and NY that are powerhouse HS teams that SJU doesn't even look at.

Sure I agree that they could take a look at DC and Baltimore too. Tons of talent down there and the WCAC is very similar to the North Jersey powerhouse Catholic leagues. But take care of your own backyard first is my point. It's a quick car ride away versus a couple of hour trip and the staff has done a poor job of mining it.

I'll take a local kid over some unknown from Arizona who are relatively equal in the ratings anyday of the week.

« Reply #475 on: March 26, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »

Great post bball. I went out for a few beers with my brother to watch the tourny on Thursday. We were talking about this same issue. He's going to bring his 3 kids into Brooklyn and leave them at schoolyard and let them get schooled on the court.  They are Long Island kids
Thanks. Sadly, it's reality. I hope us posters think about it when we talk about recruiting. 

Your brother's idea is good.  A good way for his kids to see a different style of play.  Look at what WVU did in their brawl, I mean game, vs. MD.  They did anything and everything the refs let them get away with.  It was all so subtle, the slight hand checks not getting called, the contact to gain an advantage by slowing down driving MD players. But I commend the players for making it work by working their tails off to move their feet so quickly to not make it glaring enough to call. All of that effort, and of course they still foul like crazy.  I was disappointed in how the refs called the game. It's not like Maryland wasn't tough. when Melo left, they were done - no depth at PG - familiar theme, except they were exposed only at one position.  Turgeon should have pressed them back earlier. 

It's no accident that Huggins' roster has a Baltimore, Brooklyn, Cincy, Miami, Chicago player on their roster. The dudes bust it out there, and are tenacious as hell. But watch what the refs do in the UK game - they're going to call slight hand checks, little bumps, etc. Going to take away that advantage. Without it, they're done.

« Reply #476 on: March 26, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »

Thanks. Sadly, it's reality. I hope us posters think about it when we talk about recruiting. 

Your brother's idea is good.  A good way for his kids to see a different style of play.  Look at what WVU did in their brawl, I mean game, vs. MD.  They did anything and everything the refs let them get away with.  It was all so subtle, the slight hand checks not getting called, the contact to gain an advantage by slowing down driving MD players. But I commend the players for making it work by working their tails off to move their feet so quickly to not make it glaring enough to call. All of that effort, and of course they still foul like crazy.  I was disappointed in how the refs called the game. It's not like Maryland wasn't tough. when Melo left, they were done - no depth at PG - familiar theme, except they were exposed only at one position.  Turgeon should have pressed them back earlier. 

It's no accident that Huggins' roster has a Baltimore, Brooklyn, Cincy, Miami, Chicago player on their roster. The dudes bust it out there, and are tenacious as hell. But watch what the refs do in the UK game - they're going to call slight hand checks, little bumps, etc. Going to take away that advantage. Without it, they're done.

Great observation. I was so impressed with West Va. I can't name 1 guy on their team, but  they d it up, sideline to sideline. They do foul, I've seen Manhattan the same. I think the thought is that the team is deep enough and the refs can't call the foul every time. So go ahead and call it. We have subs
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:21:00 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #477 on: March 26, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »
I'm not disputing that demographics changes, that's obvious. Elizabeth HS in NJ used to be in the USA Top 25 in football and basketball in the 80 and early 90's and was a powerhouse. Different immigrant groups started moving in, these groups played soccer more than football and basketball and Elizabeth's hoops and football teams suffered.

My point is that it's obvious that all the powerhouses will go after the top kids from NY/NJ. The real issue though is to not look at the next tier of kids behind the blue chipper in the NY Metro area.

I played football and basketball in HS in Bergen county and had to play against the top inner city players from Jersey City, Paterson and Newark growing up in HS and AAU.

All that talent in North Jersey, and even Central Jersey nowadays, and I've rarely ever seen SJU in on these kids. These days, kids go to all different schools in NJ that no one even considered 20 years ago when I was in HS. It's not the Briscoes I'm mad about. It's the other kids on Roselle Catholic, Pope John, the Patrick School and all the other laundry list of schools in NJ and NY that are powerhouse HS teams that SJU doesn't even look at.

Sure I agree that they could take a look at DC and Baltimore too. Tons of talent down there and the WCAC is very similar to the North Jersey powerhouse Catholic leagues. But take care of your own backyard first is my point. It's a quick car ride away versus a couple of hour trip and the staff has done a poor job of mining it.

I'll take a local kid over some unknown from Arizona who are relatively equal in the ratings anyday of the week.
I totally agree with still recruiting those next tier players.  If I had one thing to say to Lavin and staff, it's what many here harp on - due the homework and get those next tier guys that are hungry and play really hard. It's tricky, because one cannot stoop too low for many players either.  But running out 8-9 guys like that is better than 5-7 guys like we had that had to work extra hard just to maintain.  If we were 3-4 deep with legitimate front line players, this could have been a 25 win team, no problem.  Look at Huggins - going to run out 10-11 guys Friday night.  And they're all going to be busting it, win or lose. 

BTW - even in football in Northern NJ - it's incredible that more high schools have joined the powerhouse party - like 5 now, right?  St. Peter's was really good this year. I watched them on MSG Varsity a few times.  My HS (Stepinac) won the AAA championship for the first time in 59 years - incredible.

« Reply #478 on: March 26, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »

Great observation. I was so impressed with West Va. I can't name 1 guy on their team, but  they d it up, sideline to sideline. They do foul, I've seen Manhattan the same. I think the thought is that the team is deep enough and the refs can't call the foul every time. So go ahead and call it. We have subs
It's incredible. I'm not positive on the number, but 4 or 5 guys AVERAGE 4+ fouls a game, and 4 or 5 others AVERAGE 3.5+ fouls a game - lead the country - unbelievable.  They were a bit inconsistent during the year.  But teams like that are so dangerous because they bring their A game every night in the tourney.  Win or Lose, Huggins gets major kudos from me for once again adapting to his talent.  And for reigning in his bat shit crazy daughters.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:26:59 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #479 on: March 26, 2015, 03:32:22 PM »

It's incredible. I'm not positive on the number, but 4 or 5 guys AVERAGE 4+ fouls a game, and 4 or 5 others AVERAGE 3.5+ fouls a game - lead the country - unbelievable.  They were a bit inconsistent during the year.  But teams like that are so dangerous because they bring their A game every night in the tourney.  Win or Lose, Huggins gets major kudos from me for once again adapting to his talent.  And for reigning in his bat shit crazy daughters.

Amen. I would love to ask guys like Huggins and Shaka Smart how they recruit. Recruit a kid that fits your system, or do you build the kid to adjust to your style of play?