Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #500 on: March 26, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
Just got this notification
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:52:13 PM by scoobydoo »

« Reply #501 on: March 26, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
National Media says extension; local message board 'insiders' say fired.

hnk

« Reply #502 on: March 26, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »
Just Baldi and he's never, ever wrong

« Reply #503 on: March 26, 2015, 04:52:11 PM »
National Media says extension; local message board 'insiders' say fired.

National media?

hnk

« Reply #504 on: March 26, 2015, 04:55:04 PM »
Yesterday, you said he'd be let go today.

SJUFAN

« Reply #505 on: March 26, 2015, 04:55:56 PM »
Ty Grant wondering why Jesse Govan wasnt recruited by St Johns

Because Jessie Govan made it known G'Town was his 'dream school'.  Why waste time...

Lets not let facts get in the way of attempts to flame message boards. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:58:16 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #506 on: March 26, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »

National media said he was in negotiations

« Reply #507 on: March 26, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »

Because Jessie Govan made it known G'Town was his 'dream school'.  Why waste time...

Lets not let facts get in the way of attempts to flame messages boards. 

Ya what would Ty Grant know anyways

« Reply #508 on: March 26, 2015, 04:59:09 PM »

Report: St. John's, Steve Lavin close to extension

Mar 26 2015, 4:25 PMBlake Murphy
The upward swing of the St. John's basketball program looks set to continue.

Rather than let Steve Lavin enter the 2015-16 season as a lame duck - and likely welcoming speculation of interest from bigger suitors - St. John's is in the process of finalizing an extension with their head coach. While the deal is being finalized, the number of years is still being discussed, according to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.

Lavin has some leverage, having just led the Red Storm to the NCAA tournament with a 21-12 record and 10-8 mark in the Big East. In five seasons at the helm, Lavin has taken St. John's to two NCAA tournament appearances and a pair of NIT berths, with the former marking the school's first since 2002.

Prior to landing with St. John's, Lavin spent seven seasons at UCLA, making the tournament six times. He owns a 226-133 career record.

St. John's has the No. 40-ranked incoming recruiting class for 2015, according to 247Sports.

SJUFAN

« Reply #509 on: March 26, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »

Lets not let facts get in the way of attempts to flame messages boards. 

Ya what would Ty Grant know anyways

Apparently, he didn't know that Govan was a heavy GT lean.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:00:51 PM by SJUFAN »

Johnny23

« Reply #510 on: March 26, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »
I'm not disputing that demographics changes, that's obvious. Elizabeth HS in NJ used to be in the USA Top 25 in football and basketball in the 80 and early 90's and was a powerhouse. Different immigrant groups started moving in, these groups played soccer more than football and basketball and Elizabeth's hoops and football teams suffered.

My point is that it's obvious that all the powerhouses will go after the top kids from NY/NJ. The real issue though is to not look at the next tier of kids behind the blue chipper in the NY Metro area.

I played football and basketball in HS in Bergen county and had to play against the top inner city players from Jersey City, Paterson and Newark growing up in HS and AAU.

All that talent in North Jersey, and even Central Jersey nowadays, and I've rarely ever seen SJU in on these kids. These days, kids go to all different schools in NJ that no one even considered 20 years ago when I was in HS. It's not the Briscoes I'm mad about. It's the other kids on Roselle Catholic, Pope John, the Patrick School and all the other laundry list of schools in NJ and NY that are powerhouse HS teams that SJU doesn't even look at.

Sure I agree that they could take a look at DC and Baltimore too. Tons of talent down there and the WCAC is very similar to the North Jersey powerhouse Catholic leagues. But take care of your own backyard first is my point. It's a quick car ride away versus a couple of hour trip and the staff has done a poor job of mining it.

I'll take a local kid over some unknown from Arizona who are relatively equal in the ratings anyday of the week.
I totally agree with still recruiting those next tier players.  If I had one thing to say to Lavin and staff, it's what many here harp on - due the homework and get those next tier guys that are hungry and play really hard. It's tricky, because one cannot stoop too low for many players either.  But running out 8-9 guys like that is better than 5-7 guys like we had that had to work extra hard just to maintain.  If we were 3-4 deep with legitimate front line players, this could have been a 25 win team, no problem.  Look at Huggins - going to run out 10-11 guys Friday night.  And they're all going to be busting it, win or lose. 

BTW - even in football in Northern NJ - it's incredible that more high schools have joined the powerhouse party - like 5 now, right?  St. Peter's was really good this year. I watched them on MSG Varsity a few times.  My HS (Stepinac) won the AAA championship for the first time in 59 years - incredible.

Totally agree that if we had 3-4 really serviceable big guys then 25 wins was definitely within reach for this year's team.

I'm on board with you on the thought that I don't want all second tier guys from this area in place of better prospects from outside the area. However, with 18M people in the Metro area, there has got to be a few under the radar guys each year that the Johnnies should at least be targeting.

Exactly. It was originally the Big 3 and they are all in Bergen county very close to each other. Don Bosco, Bergen Catholic and St. Joseph Regional (Montvale). Then like you said, St. Peter's Prep joined the party from Hudson county. Now Paramus Catholic is one of the new big dogs on the national level and they're in Bergen Co. as well. So yes, it's now the Big 5, plus a few other powerhouse Catholics from around Northern NJ and one or two in Central NJ.

Yeah I saw that Stepinac was a powerhouse this year. They looked very strong from the few times I saw highlights on MSGV. Wow, 59 years? That is incredible!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:25:10 PM by Johnny23 »

boo3

« Reply #511 on: March 26, 2015, 07:11:53 PM »
Lets also remember that the original story regarding the extension talk from Decourcy said a deal could be in place by early  next week.   

He's sticking to that. 

tnice

« Reply #512 on: March 26, 2015, 07:37:48 PM »

Report: St. John's, Steve Lavin close to extension

Mar 26 2015, 4:25 PMBlake Murphy
The upward swing of the St. John's basketball program looks set to continue.

Rather than let Steve Lavin enter the 2015-16 season as a lame duck - and likely welcoming speculation of interest from bigger suitors - St. John's is in the process of finalizing an extension with their head coach. While the deal is being finalized, the number of years is still being discussed, according to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.

Lavin has some leverage, having just led the Red Storm to the NCAA tournament with a 21-12 record and 10-8 mark in the Big East. In five seasons at the helm, Lavin has taken St. John's to two NCAA tournament appearances and a pair of NIT berths, with the former marking the school's first since 2002.

Prior to landing with St. John's, Lavin spent seven seasons at UCLA, making the tournament six times. He owns a 226-133 career record.

St. John's has the No. 40-ranked incoming recruiting class for 2015, according to 247Sports.

How can they be "finalizing" a contract when they haven't even settled on the number of years?

Finalizing is "we've agreed on years and $$$, we just have to iron out the car allowance and how much you're contributing to the dental plan." It isnt "we havent decided on the single most important detail of the contract".
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:38:26 PM by tnice »

jr49

« Reply #513 on: March 26, 2015, 09:22:28 PM »
Are they in contract negotiations or is Lavin seeing Diallo today? Or neither?

Conspicuously absent from your scenario analysis is the possibility of doing both in one day.  Centereach is less than an hour from campus.

Can't do 1 without doing the other.

Christ the King is closer

coach arbs will put out the welcome tea and crumpets for lavin

Pretty impressive that a coach can alienate a top city program

I'm glad Lavin isn't kissing up to them. What good did it do for Norm? For decades they have been funneling their top prospects out of the city. Finally, we have a coach with a national/international reach, he doesn't need their mid major players. He can use those spots to build relationships elsewhere were it will actually pay off.

Coach Lavin has international  reach? Time would be better spent in the Boroughs with Louie's tokens. Has he really spent time in Europe or South America?

« Reply #514 on: March 26, 2015, 09:29:01 PM »

Conspicuously absent from your scenario analysis is the possibility of doing both in one day.  Centereach is less than an hour from campus.

I'm glad Lavin isn't kissing up to them. What good did it do for Norm? For decades they have been funneling their top prospects out of the city. Finally, we have a coach with a national/international reach, he doesn't need their mid major players. He can use those spots to build relationships elsewhere were it will actually pay off.

Coach Lavin has international  reach? Time would be better spent in the Boroughs with Louie's tokens. Has he really spent time in Europe or South America?

Why?  There were studs left and right in NYC when Louie was at the helm.  Not so, much nowadays.

« Reply #515 on: March 26, 2015, 10:23:12 PM »

Why?  There were studs left and right in NYC when Louie was at the helm.  Not so, much nowadays.

Plus tokens are useless now a days.

sju89tr

« Reply #516 on: March 27, 2015, 11:50:25 AM »

In fairness to Baldi, I heard yesterday from multiple people that he would be let go so I believe that was the info being generated.

Obviously if Lavin was going out yesterday to recruit, he must have had an idea that he would be retained
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:51:22 AM by sju89tr »

dR3w

« Reply #517 on: March 27, 2015, 02:00:16 PM »
JayOn saying the Lavin and staff will be fired today.

« Reply #518 on: March 27, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »
Paraphrasing Wellinton Mara -

Before you fire someone it is imperative to have a replacement who is a clear upgrade

« Reply #519 on: March 27, 2015, 02:21:31 PM »
Folks should just relax and take it easy.  Heck!  The college basketball season isn't even over. 

I'm sure we'll know something shortly.  Before the internet most folks wouldn't have a clue what was going on.