Lavin

• 705 replies

sju89tr

Re: Lavin
« Reply #560 on: March 27, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  27s27 seconds ago
Was told new #sjubb coach would be given great opportunity to get involved with top city players Rawle Alkins of Christ the King.

Well, well.....

Quite a statement

Poison

« Reply #561 on: March 27, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Danny Hurley "legitimately interested" in St. John's job, source says. #sjubb

jr49

« Reply #562 on: March 27, 2015, 03:46:18 PM »
Sampson decommitted. Others likely to follow. If we hire Hurley or Pitino , better take their team too because our recruits are goners.
How do we know the conversation was not based on " Who do we have locked up for next year? It then could have went to" Why do we have all these guys who can't play a lick in SJU uniforms the last couple of years. I don't know how these talks go, just wondering.

Others? While Doughty and Thompkins are nice players, I'm sure we can survive if they go elsewhere. We have a TON of playing time to offer any recruit and I'm sure whoever the new coach is will make sure all recruits are well aware of that

desco80

« Reply #563 on: March 27, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Was told new #sjubb coach would be given great opportunity to get involved with top city players Rawle Alkins of Christ the King.

Well, well.....

Quite a statement

Nice knock on the guy who just got fired.   

Pete88

« Reply #564 on: March 27, 2015, 03:53:51 PM »

Well, well.....

Quite a statement

Pretty well established that CTK coach didn't like Lavin. 

hnk

« Reply #565 on: March 27, 2015, 03:54:58 PM »
Desco....congrats!  i feel bad for coach lavin and his guys, but hope the new coach is a real improvement.

mkras99

« Reply #566 on: March 27, 2015, 03:57:07 PM »
Choz?

« Reply #567 on: March 27, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »
Well done SJU. Now bring in Danny or Bob Hurley or Mullin

« Reply #568 on: March 27, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »
Hurley has all of two years head coaching experience and lost this year to teams such as Akron, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Toledo, and Ohio. Breathtaking . And even more startling, he owns race horses. Jarvis redoux. Mullin has said no. And some blamed Lavin for accepting what turned out to be a falsified transcript, so we will now consider a coach who falsified his OWN transcript. The incompetence at SJU is so bad it is shocking. And we still have the sun tanned Monasch running the asylum. We are doomed.

« Reply #569 on: March 27, 2015, 04:04:08 PM »
Massielo on with Kay now

« Reply #570 on: March 27, 2015, 04:05:20 PM »
Hurley has all of two years head coaching experience and lost this year to teams such as Akron, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Toledo, and Ohio. Breathtaking . And even more startling, he owns race horses. Jarvis redoux. Mullin has said no. And some blamed Lavin for accepting what turned out to be a falsified transcript, so we will now consider a coach who falsified his OWN transcript. The incompetence at SJU is so bad it is shocking. And we still have the sun tanned Monasch running the asylum. We are doomed.
agreed monasch should go.  if the coach he hired isn't good enough, then how is he?

Pete88

« Reply #571 on: March 27, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
So they lowballed Lavin, was that because of Lavin or how they intend to run the program moving forward?

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the administration was fine with keeping him at a lower salary or just letting him walk if he declined the pay cut. He declined and they decided to move on. They didn't like him enough to meet his demands or dislike him enough to fire him or not offer him some sort of extension

Does that make sense though?  Either you feel he's the right person for the job or he's not, regardless of what your paying him.   The expectations for the program should be the same. 

Does St. John's ever do anything that makes sense? That's why I think that scenario is possible. It's also possible that they had no intention of keeping him, didnt want to exactly "fire" him, and lowballed him because they knew he would reject it and leave

If that's the case then administration has no balls.  Again, either you're happy with direction or you change, you don't go looking for a discount.   I have no hope that they will make good decision on hire. 

My prediction is they will go cheap and hire Masiello or someone of the like, which means they don't give a shit about ever being a top-tier program.  Shame

No, this is a perfectly logical position.
If they just fired him they would need to pay him $2mil not to coach next season.
By a mutual parting of the ways, that will be settled for less.    That's why you make him an offer, he refuses, and you agree to a settlement.    Firing him would have cost more, plain and simple.

Don't necessarily follow your logic.
What would make you think Lavin would agree to a lesser buyout?  He was essentially fired. 
They talked about extension, couldn't come to agreement, administration says OK, you're fired then.   

« Reply #572 on: March 27, 2015, 04:06:23 PM »

Well, well.....

Well what do ya know
Bazinga!

« Reply #573 on: March 27, 2015, 04:06:57 PM »
Kay just said Pitino St is a candidate

sju89tr

« Reply #574 on: March 27, 2015, 04:07:18 PM »

Well, well.....

Quite a statement

A guess all the "rumors" of a rift between Lavin and CTK was true and to the point that he would not consider St Johns   

boo3

« Reply #575 on: March 27, 2015, 04:07:38 PM »
  Call Donovan - 1st order of business, Then Pitino....  Mullin, Danny Hurley.... In that order..   Worst case, Danny Hurley is coach..

No to Bobby.. #$%^ no to Massielo.

« Reply #576 on: March 27, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »
So they lowballed Lavin, was that because of Lavin or how they intend to run the program moving forward?

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the administration was fine with keeping him at a lower salary or just letting him walk if he declined the pay cut. He declined and they decided to move on. They didn't like him enough to meet his demands or dislike him enough to fire him or not offer him some sort of extension

Does that make sense though?  Either you feel he's the right person for the job or he's not, regardless of what your paying him.   The expectations for the program should be the same. 

At St John's ?

« Reply #577 on: March 27, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »
  Call Donovan - 1st order of business, Then Pitino....  Mullin, Danny Hurley.... In that order..   Worst case, Danny Hurley is coach..

No to Bobby.. #$%^ no to Massielo.
How much would they even have to offer Donovan? I don't think they can afford him.

« Reply #578 on: March 27, 2015, 04:10:38 PM »
Mas said St Johns a top job in nation

« Reply #579 on: March 27, 2015, 04:11:24 PM »
Mas said St Johns a top job in nation
Top 30-40 imho