Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #600 on: March 27, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »
At worst we should have a hurley as our coach next year. And that is no knock on them.

We didnt fire lavin not to take a run at some bigger fish. Give Archie a call for sure.

Agreed.  Archie and even Shaka.  At some point I have to believe Smart is going to want to explore outside VCU.  He may realize he reached his ceiling there.

« Reply #601 on: March 27, 2015, 04:50:34 PM »
At worst we should have a hurley as our coach next year. And that is no knock on them.

We didnt fire lavin not to take a run at some bigger fish. Give Archie a call for sure.

Agreed.  Archie and even Shaka.  At some point I have to believe Smart is going to want to explore outside VCU.  He may realize he reached his ceiling there.

if i'm smart i'm waiting for Cuse

SJUFAN

« Reply #602 on: March 27, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »
desco who iare your first plausible choices>

(Assuming no miracles like Donovan or Pitino)

1) I'd reach out to Archie Miller and Shaka Smart.   Collectively they are my first options.   
2) Mullin; if he is interested, and IF he has a particular recruiter in mind who will come on board.
3) I have a very hard time separating Danny H, Bobby H, and Maisello.   If it wasn't for the transcript issue it would be Mas.   So I say interview all 3, kick the tires, ask around about them.  Have a search firm vet them.
4) Cluess.  I don't like him, but he wins at every level.  That's hard to ignore.

If your willing to pay Smart, who has his eyes set on another program, why not target Marshall? Think he has peaked at Wichita ST. and may be ready to consider a move. Wouldn't hurt in inquire. 

Foad

« Reply #603 on: March 27, 2015, 04:56:01 PM »
Let's consider Reggie Witherspoon, former Erie Community College head coach

Let's not.

redslope

« Reply #604 on: March 27, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
I hope it is time to get the checkbooks out to support the school in paying for a big time coach who can make a difference.  However, I fear it will be do it on the cheap, a la Norm, and we will be in for dreadful BB but at least I will save money.  For all the complaining here, it is time to open up the wallets boys and girls and contribute to a real, high power coach's hiring.  Remember you get what you pay for and I will not pay for a low level coach. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #605 on: March 27, 2015, 05:02:44 PM »
Yeah I mean you put out feelers to Donovan, Miller, Pitino, Marshall, Smart, etc. in case any are interested for a price.  But most likely and realistically, we have to quickly move to the next level of candidates.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:08:01 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #606 on: March 27, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »
I hope it is time to get the checkbooks out to support the school in paying for a big time coach who can make a difference.  However, I fear it will be do it on the cheap, a la Norm, and we will be in for dreadful BB but at least I will save money.  For all the complaining here, it is time to open up the wallets boys and girls and contribute to a real, high power coach's hiring.  Remember you get what you pay for and I will not pay for a low level coach. 

People will if they make a good decision, but that's not likely

boo3

« Reply #607 on: March 27, 2015, 05:08:34 PM »
 It appears that Mullin is the clear cur number 1 choice of those involved.. I'm fine with that.   With the right staff, it's home run potential.

If not, I'm going to try and lock up Danny Hurley. 

« Reply #608 on: March 27, 2015, 05:09:13 PM »
Always been a business. Always be a business. No hard feelings just like 2 years back.

Love ya Lav. And keep ya head up.

Peace out.
Board's been missing your philosophical zen quotes

paultzman

« Reply #609 on: March 27, 2015, 05:09:35 PM »
It appears that Mullin is the clear cur number 1 choice of those involved.. I'm fine with that.   With the right staff, it's home run potential.

As Choz would say, "Wisdom"

cjfish

« Reply #610 on: March 27, 2015, 05:11:06 PM »
Like Mullin as best of the lot by far.  He, in concert with a good recruiter, should be able to bring the talented kids in.  Remember, he managed at the pro level.  As a hall of famer he will impress the recruits.  As an alumnus, he will have a personal stake.  Xs and Os can be handled by an assistant if needed.  2nd choice,   Danny H., a man who has rebuilding credentials and a solid coach and NY area connections and a dad who can help.  Need to find the next Al Lobalbo, senior Hurley may be it.

Pete88

« Reply #611 on: March 27, 2015, 05:13:23 PM »

Mullin is one of my favorite players of all time.  But I just don't see him as a college coach.  Think it would be a mistake and a stunt PR move.

« Reply #612 on: March 27, 2015, 05:14:03 PM »

Does Mullin want to put in all the time required of a head coach?  I think the small stuff is what gets some of the greats that try to coach at any level.

Pete88

« Reply #613 on: March 27, 2015, 05:15:46 PM »

Does Mullin want to put in all the time required of a head coach?  I think the small stuff is what gets some of the greats that try to coach at any level.

Exactly, can you see Mullin hitting the recruiting trail and kissing high school and AAU coaches' ass!!!

« Reply #614 on: March 27, 2015, 05:17:55 PM »

This.

boo3

« Reply #615 on: March 27, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »

Exactly, can you see Mullin hitting the recruiting trail and kissing high school and AAU coaches' ass!!!

That is the reason why you vett potential candidates.. You or I can't answer that.   Chris and the guys in charge of the interview process can answer only.. 

I don't see why he wouldn't be capable of doing...  " I can't see it"  - this response means nothing... So you can't see it?  Alrighty then...   Fred Hoiberg seems to do it just fine.  Mullin is not too old, he is in good shape..  No reason that, if he wants to do it, he can't.   

« Reply #616 on: March 27, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »

If Mullin says he's taking the job, no doubt in my mind he gives it 100%.

cjfish

« Reply #617 on: March 27, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
Mullin is a PR move and PR is more that 1/2 the battle when recruiting...nothing wrong with that.  Lack of coaching experience not a problem, assistants will be hired for whatever is needed.  Another possibility, WIll Brown of Albany.  No charisma but a great coach with a clean record.  Unfortunately, probably would not fly in NYC, need a figurehead.

Poison

« Reply #618 on: March 27, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »
Mullin is a PR move and PR is more that 1/2 the battle when recruiting...nothing wrong with that.  Lack of coaching experience not a problem, assistants will be hired for whatever is needed.  Another possibility, WIll Brown of Albany.  No charisma but a great coach with a clean record.  Unfortunately, probably would not fly in NYC, need a figurehead.

Will Brown has my respect. No idea if he'd work here, but he gave Oklahoma as good a game as anyone.

goredmen

« Reply #619 on: March 27, 2015, 05:25:46 PM »

That would be the main issue with Mullin. He would have to surround himself with very strong recruiters to make it work, but if it does work it can be great.

Also, our last coach didn't kiss any high school or AAU coaches' asses so not much of a difference there.

One final note, I wouldn't mind going down the Iowa State path with Mullin and going strong after every transfer and JuCo out there. They recruit HS still but they go hard after transfers and JuCos and thats part of why they've been so successful lately