Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #620 on: March 27, 2015, 05:34:37 PM »
I don't think Mullin is coming, I'd say it's between Dan Hurley and Masiello. I like both

Tha Kid

« Reply #621 on: March 27, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »
I don't think Mullin is coming, I'd say it's between Dan Hurley and Masiello. I like both

Baldi did you like norm or not? I don't see how it's possible that one of norms biggest supporters could ever be OK w massiello.  Mas is the kind of hire the real marco baldi would rip St. John's for for years.  Maybe that's why you like it.  Or maybe because it weakens Manhattan?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #622 on: March 27, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
financially, it doesn't make sense getting Mullin either. 

you're going to have to pay him big bucks.  and on top of that, you're going to have to pay a premium for staff that not only has to "teach" mullin but essentially hold his hand throughout the process.

i'd rather spend money on a coach with history, that understands the grind.  understands the politics in recruiting; etc.

Not Mullin; Not Jackson.

Hire Danny.

« Reply #623 on: March 27, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »

Baldi did you like norm or not? I don't see how it's possible that one of norms biggest supporters could ever be OK w massiello.  Mas is the kind of hire the real marco baldi would rip St. John's for for years.  Maybe that's why you like it.  Or maybe because it weakens Manhattan?

Yes I liked Norm, I liked the chAracter of 99% of players he brought in.  I only dislike Masiello when Iona is playing against him. I really don't care about the diploma thing, there are worse things in the college basketball world than that.  St John's needs a NY or local guy. Both Hurley and Mas are that, and have the personalities that kids want to stay and play for

« Reply #624 on: March 27, 2015, 06:04:45 PM »
Local guy who has been very successful is Tim Cluess.  5 20+ win seasons, 2 NCAA and NIT bids. He's won everywhere he's been, high school, community college, D 2 and now at Iona. He also has ties to Louie with him and all his brothers who played at SJU. Seems to do it the right way and has never had a kid thrown off for any infractions.
What is the attraction to either Hurleys. No SJU ties at all. 
Neither has gotten any of their dads players yet either. Cluess should at least get a call

redslope

« Reply #625 on: March 27, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »
Hurleys and Cluess=MID Major--not what I want but it will save me money

Pete88

« Reply #626 on: March 27, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  Add Masiello to that list as well

Poison

« Reply #627 on: March 27, 2015, 06:28:28 PM »
Local guy who has been very successful is Tim Cluess.  5 20+ win seasons, 2 NCAA and NIT bids. He's won everywhere he's been, high school, community college, D 2 and now at Iona. He also has ties to Louie with him and all his brothers who played at SJU. Seems to do it the right way and has never had a kid thrown off for any infractions.
Neither has gotten any of their dads players yet either. Cluess should at least get a call

I like Cluess, but he doesn't stress defense at all. His kids don't move on defense. You can't win with a defensive philosophy of don't bother playing any. Why hire Cluess, when you can hire the guy who has his number?

redslope

« Reply #628 on: March 27, 2015, 06:28:59 PM »

Definitely-forgot him because not worth.  I do not want SJU to become Fordham which hired the guy (Pecora who a number of people on these sites wanted instead of Lavin and see how that went) with all the local connections and then could not do squat

redslope

« Reply #629 on: March 27, 2015, 06:31:36 PM »

I like Cluess, but he doesn't stress defense at all. His kids don't move on defense. You can't win with a defensive philosophy of don't bother playing any. Why hire Cluess, when you can hire the guy who has his number?
With a NO defense philosophy he would be eaten alive in the BE.  Let him stay a lower tier mid major where that works

« Reply #630 on: March 27, 2015, 06:57:24 PM »
It appears that Mullin is the clear cur number 1 choice of those involved.. I'm fine with that.   With the right staff, it's home run potential.

If not, I'm going to try and lock up Danny Hurley. 
As Choz would say, "Wisdom"
Does Mullin want to put in all the time required of a head coach?  I think the small stuff is what gets some of the greats that try to coach at any level.

Exactly, can you see Mullin hitting the recruiting trail and kissing high school and AAU coaches' ass!!!

That would be the main issue with Mullin. He would have to surround himself with very strong recruiters to make it work, but if it does work it can be great.

Also, our last coach didn't kiss any high school or AAU coaches' asses so not much of a difference there.

One final note, I wouldn't mind going down the Iowa State path with Mullin and going strong after every transfer and JuCo out there. They recruit HS still but they go hard after transfers and JuCos and thats part of why they've been so successful lately
Dana Altman has done it too at Oregon. His midwest Juco connections while at Creighton served him well while he built up a 6 scholarship roster that first year.

Dan

« Reply #631 on: March 27, 2015, 07:10:26 PM »
these pretend in the know posters should apologize to baldi even though he likely was guessing!

« Reply #632 on: March 27, 2015, 07:27:58 PM »
these pretend in the know posters should apologize to baldi even though he likely was guessing!
So much for the poll saving the job. 

« Reply #633 on: March 27, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Spend the money and go get Jim Calhoun

« Reply #634 on: March 27, 2015, 08:13:40 PM »

Definitely-forgot him because not worth.  I do not want SJU to become Fordham which hired the guy (Pecora who a number of people on these sites wanted instead of Lavin and see how that went) with all the local connections and then could not do squat
for the record I was in the Pecora will make me puke at sju bandwagon :)

TheVig

« Reply #635 on: March 27, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »
Please stop posting this. Jim calhoun has a history of medical issues and is 72 yrs old. Plus he is hated by many sju fans.

TONYD3

« Reply #636 on: March 27, 2015, 08:18:53 PM »
Please stop posting this. Jim calhoun has a history of medical issues and is 72 yrs old. Plus he is hated by many sju fans.
Hate him. Lets get him

hnk

« Reply #637 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »
Larry brown has a house on Long island

« Reply #638 on: March 27, 2015, 08:25:03 PM »
It won't get past Danny Hurley if Chris says no.  Danny will take it in a heartbeat.

Pete88

« Reply #639 on: March 27, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »
It won't get past Danny Hurley if Chris says no.  Danny will take it in a heartbeat.

whoopee!!!