Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #640 on: March 27, 2015, 08:47:59 PM »
I would be ok with Hurley, or Maseillo.  Lavin had to go, he reached his plataue with the program

jr49

« Reply #641 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:29 PM »
Why did coach Lavin continue to bring in players who did not belong here? It's not like he doesn't' know the difference between a player who belongs, and one who does not.

Poison

« Reply #642 on: March 27, 2015, 09:28:30 PM »
Why did coach Lavin continue to bring in players who did not belong here? It's not like he doesn't' know the difference between a player who belongs, and one who does not.

A question we'd all like answered, may never get answered, and Lavin couldn't answer.
What's he gonna say? I worked hard for Jordan, and then, I figured guys like Jakarr would still be here, and I could worry about the 15/16 class.

« Reply #643 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:51 PM »

Didn't belong here, what are you talking about?

« Reply #644 on: March 27, 2015, 09:36:22 PM »
‏@AdamZagoria 4m4 minutes ago New York, USA

Other names I've heard at St. John's besides Chris Mullin and Danny Hurley: Richard Pitino, Tim Cluess, Steve Masiello.

Cluess and Masiello would be mistakes.

I'm not a fan of Pitino, either (unless, it's the elder Pitino).

Danny Hurley seems like the safest bet.  Let's see if he would take it.  I would take Pitino and pray for the best before I go with Massiello.  Jeez, if anyone can't see the sleaze...
Totally agree about Massiello. Our AD said "We are seeking someone who embraces the St. John's mission".  Lying about your diploma is not a good fit.

Poison

« Reply #645 on: March 27, 2015, 09:37:47 PM »

Other names I've heard at St. John's besides Chris Mullin and Danny Hurley: Richard Pitino, Tim Cluess, Steve Masiello.

Danny Hurley seems like the safest bet.  Let's see if he would take it.  I would take Pitino and pray for the best before I go with Massiello.  Jeez, if anyone can't see the sleaze...
Totally agree about Massiello. Our AD said "We are seeking someone who embraces the St. John's mission".  Lying about your diploma is not a good fit.

The St.John's mission? So Norm Roberts then?

Moose

« Reply #646 on: March 27, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »

I'm hardly an expert on the SJU mission but isn't 2nd chances a big thing in Catholicism?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #647 on: March 27, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »
I have to think the powers that be at MSG, The Big East or Fox Sports1 are not going to be happy with Hurley(s), or Masiello, or any other tier 2 coach. They will be whispering in SJU's ears to think big, think "name." So they can fill seats, get TV ratings, and keep pace with other BB power conferences. Remember, the BE needs a strong NYC/Redmen presence; can't risk another experiment (see NR)

« Reply #648 on: March 28, 2015, 01:42:00 AM »
  Call Donovan - 1st order of business, Then Pitino....  Mullin, Danny Hurley.... In that order..   Worst case, Danny Hurley is coach..

No to Bobby.. #$%^ no to Massielo.

jr49

« Reply #649 on: March 28, 2015, 09:38:34 AM »

Had he brought in players who did belong we would have had a solid 8 man rotation. Early on there were 6 players. Then CO, then Jordan. That's 8, who else. Hooper,Borgo, Keith, ADR, JDR, AA, the walk ons. Who helped the core players this year? Steve started ok and then just stopped and guys started playing 40. Sorry I'm a broken record, but I was asked to elaborate. Look at the list of players who were brought in and those who could really play. Fine to think I'm seeing it wrong. I never thought I had any of the answers. I thought Steve did and sorry he did not hold down the job.

« Reply #650 on: March 28, 2015, 09:43:48 AM »

Had he brought in players who did belong we would have had a solid 8 man rotation. Early on there were 6 players. Then CO, then Jordan. That's 8, who else. Hooper,Borgo, Keith, ADR, JDR, AA, the walk ons. Who helped the core players this year? Steve started ok and then just stopped and guys started playing 40. Sorry I'm a broken record, but I was asked to elaborate. Look at the list of players who were brought in and those who could really play. Fine to think I'm seeing it wrong. I never thought I had any of the answers. I thought Steve did and sorry he did not hold down the job.

That is bogus.  If you think that the next coach is going to have 13 Big East caliber players EVERY year on the roster you better get ready to complain now.  Completely bogus expectation and criticism.  Lavin was at fault of failing to land his top targets for 2014, no doubt.  But this other stuff is convenient misinformation.

And go look at all the transfers, low level recruits and non-qualifiers since Ed Cooley took over at Providence.  Seriously.  Go look and count them all.

goredmen

« Reply #651 on: March 28, 2015, 09:49:30 AM »
I have to think the powers that be at MSG, The Big East or Fox Sports1 are not going to be happy with Hurley(s), or Masiello, or any other tier 2 coach. They will be whispering in SJU's ears to think big, think "name." So they can fill seats, get TV ratings, and keep pace with other BB power conferences. Remember, the BE needs a strong NYC/Redmen presence; can't risk another experiment (see NR)

The BE and FS1 just want St. John's to be good. They'd rather have them be good with a no-name coach than bad with a big name coach. Since we aren't hiring Coach K, Izzo or Pitino, anybody we hire will have some risk associated with him. Continuing the Lavin experiment was just as much if not more of a risk

« Reply #652 on: March 28, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »

TV networks do not decide or influence these matters.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

cjfish

« Reply #653 on: March 28, 2015, 10:11:30 AM »
As boeheim said once in a private moment, "It's all about the money".  That is why Syracuse is in the ACC and why every major conference cares about TV and the media.

Poison

« Reply #654 on: March 28, 2015, 10:14:36 AM »

That is bogus.  If you think that the next coach is going to have 13 Big East caliber players EVERY year on the roster you better get ready to complain now.  Completely bogus expectation and criticism.  Lavin was at fault of failing to land his top targets for 2014, no doubt.  But this other stuff is convenient misinformation.

And go look at all the transfers, low level recruits and non-qualifiers since Ed Cooley took over at Providence.  Seriously.  Go look and count them all.

Cooley is a great example. Last year, he lost Ledo and Dunn. Both of his 5 star point guards. Yet, he still wins the BE tournament. That's a coach who instead of excuses, made do with he had. Lavin was throwing out names like Amir Garret after he lost to SDSU.

Enough of this clown. He belongs in California where his BS will fit right in.

Poison

« Reply #655 on: March 28, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »

I'm hardly an expert on the SJU mission but isn't 2nd chances a big thing in Catholicism?

No one knows less about the St.John's mission than St.John's. It costs 58k to go to that shit school. That's 58k per year. Not for the entire education. It's not even worth it for most students to pay 58k for all four years.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:35:15 AM by Poison »

DFF6

« Reply #656 on: March 28, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »

Only if you're a child molesting priest.   

tnice

« Reply #657 on: March 28, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
Question for those who would know: Doesn't Danny Hurley have some serious Mike Rice in him?

I'm not talking about intensity or getting T'd up in games...I mean like an abusive, foul mouthed screamer in practice. I know he wouldnt be the only coach in America to do that, I'm just wondering if it would fly at SJU. Is he over the line or just on the other side of it?

« Reply #658 on: March 28, 2015, 12:09:45 PM »
Question for those who would know: Doesn't Danny Hurley have some serious Mike Rice in him?

I'm not talking about intensity or getting T'd up in games...I mean like an abusive, foul mouthed screamer in practice. I know he wouldnt be the only coach in America to do that, I'm just wondering if it would fly at SJU. Is he over the line or just on the other side of it?
I watched two uri games this year. He's a whiney bitch on the sidelines. If he gets hired people will get tired of his act very quickly. It was annoying to watch on tv with no rooting interest in the game.

« Reply #659 on: March 28, 2015, 12:13:01 PM »

I watched two uri games this year. He's a whiney bitch on the sidelines. If he gets hired people will get tired of his act very quickly. It was annoying to watch on tv with no rooting interest in the game.

is it as bad as Jay Wright? i can live with that...