Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #660 on: March 28, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »
Won't get tired of Hurley's act if we win.

« Reply #661 on: March 28, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »
Question for those who would know: Doesn't Danny Hurley have some serious Mike Rice in him?

I'm not talking about intensity or getting T'd up in games...I mean like an abusive, foul mouthed screamer in practice. I know he wouldnt be the only coach in America to do that, I'm just wondering if it would fly at SJU. Is he over the line or just on the other side of it?
I watched two uri games this year. He's a whiney bitch on the sidelines. If he gets hired people will get tired of his act very quickly. It was annoying to watch on tv with no rooting interest in the game.
I watched one URI game. Hurley complained a bit to the refs because of a couple of iffy foul calls, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Do you just not like him?

goredmen

« Reply #662 on: March 28, 2015, 12:35:22 PM »
I know a URI fan who is praying that Hurley doesn't leave, so their fans love him. I don't care how a guy acts or what a guy wears on the sidelines. If he wins I'll love him and if he doesn't I won't

« Reply #663 on: March 28, 2015, 12:38:50 PM »
Question for those who would know: Doesn't Danny Hurley have some serious Mike Rice in him?

I'm not talking about intensity or getting T'd up in games...I mean like an abusive, foul mouthed screamer in practice. I know he wouldnt be the only coach in America to do that, I'm just wondering if it would fly at SJU. Is he over the line or just on the other side of it?
I watched two uri games this year. He's a whiney bitch on the sidelines. If he gets hired people will get tired of his act very quickly. It was annoying to watch on tv with no rooting interest in the game.

He's a pageant mom on the sidelines. But, I bet he'll win consistently here.

« Reply #664 on: March 28, 2015, 01:28:52 PM »

I watched one URI game. Hurley complained a bit to the refs because of a couple of iffy foul calls, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't really know anything about him as a coach except for the two games I watched. I don't think he's been in the tournament and uri isn't on tv much -- that's all I've seen so can't make a real judgment. To the question above, he was much worse than jay wright. Even the announcers couldn't stop talking about it in one game. Like a child throwing a temper tantrum. Before anyone asks, I don't remember whether he was wearing a suit or not.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #665 on: March 28, 2015, 01:35:15 PM »

I'd rather that than Lavin putting his hand on his chin and starring into space contemplating the works of Plato and Aristotle, and what fine wine he's going to have at dinner the whole game.

« Reply #666 on: March 28, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »

I don't really know anything about him as a coach except for the two games I watched. I don't think he's been in the tournament and uri isn't on tv much -- that's all I've seen so can't make a real judgment. To the question above, he was much worse than jay wright. Even the announcers couldn't stop talking about it in one game. Like a child throwing a temper tantrum. Before anyone asks, I don't remember whether he was wearing a suit or not.
Here's a guy who was wearing a track suit that sounded solid to me:

http://www.wdtv.com/wdtv.cfm?func=view§ion=WVU&item=Buffalo-Head-Coach-Bobby-Hurley-Pregame-Press-Conference-21970

PIB

« Reply #667 on: March 28, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »
Don't care what our future coach does on the sidelines, so long as we win.

Poison

« Reply #668 on: March 28, 2015, 02:03:09 PM »

Hurley has an act?

Poison

« Reply #669 on: March 28, 2015, 02:05:19 PM »

He's a pageant mom on the sidelines. But, I bet he'll win consistently here.

Who isn't? That describes every college coach I've ever seen.

« Reply #670 on: March 28, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »

Hurley has an act?
Watch the pregame with Bobby and tell me that's not a guy you want as your coach. 

TONYD3

« Reply #671 on: March 28, 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
Hurley went crazy during the game vs us when he coached at wagner. His team played us close if I remember right.

« Reply #672 on: March 28, 2015, 02:12:04 PM »
Sainted Louie was a foulmouthed crazy man on the sidelines and everybody loved him and his act. I would know I had fourth row seats behind the bench.

jr49

« Reply #673 on: March 28, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »
Why did coach Lavin continue to bring in players who did not belong here? It's not like he doesn't' know the difference between a player who belongs, and one who does not.

Didn't belong here, what are you talking about?
Had he brought in players who did belong we would have had a solid 8 man rotation. Early on there were 6 players. Then CO, then Jordan. That's 8, who else. Hooper,Borgo, Keith, ADR, JDR, AA, the walk ons. Who helped the core players this year? Steve started ok and then just stopped and guys started playing 40. Sorry I'm a broken record, but I was asked to elaborate. Look at the list of players who were brought in and those who could really play. Fine to think I'm seeing it wrong. I never thought I had any of the answers. I thought Steve did and sorry he did not hold down the job.

That is bogus.  If you think that the next coach is going to have 13 Big East caliber players EVERY year on the roster you better get ready to complain now.  Completely bogus expectation and criticism.  Lavin was at fault of failing to land his top targets for 2014, no doubt.  But this other stuff is convenient misinformation.

And go look at all the transfers, low level recruits and non-qualifiers since Ed Cooley took over at Providence.  Seriously.  Go look and count them all.
I'm not talking about 13 real BE players on one roster.  I'm talking who has been brought in since he's been here.  If I'm wrong with the #8 ok, please advise. Count Sanchez if you like. I did not. Branch made 6, then came CO and Jordan. And then? Who was here to help this years core 6? I backed Coach Steve for 4 years. I thought this years team started to shoe the symptoms of neglect. I'm still stuck on 8. I handle being wrong. No, Polee does not count. ADR did not help. Keith did not help. Amir not this year, maybe someday. Nuri does not count. Gift counts, I missed him. I don't think I posted what was convenient to make my point. I wish he was still the coach and had the chance to finish up this years class. Starting over sure doesn't help me out. 

« Reply #674 on: March 28, 2015, 03:21:04 PM »
Hurley is 45-49 in 3 years at URI, a losing record. In conference, he is 21-29, a losing record. What am I missing? Talk about low expectations.  If he is the best we can do, the program is officially a graveyard.

« Reply #675 on: March 28, 2015, 03:24:30 PM »
Hurley is 45-49 in 3 years at URI, a losing record. In conference, he is 21-29, a losing record. What am I missing? Talk about low expectations.  If he is the best we can do, the program is officially a graveyard.

He took over a team that went 7-24 and they won 20 games with no impact seniors this year just 3 years later. Did the same thing at Wagner.

« Reply #676 on: March 28, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »

Exactly!  He can scratch his arse and smell his finger each and every game.  As, long as he's not particularly embarrassing the school, then all that matters is we're winning.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:53:17 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #677 on: March 28, 2015, 04:13:05 PM »

Exactly!  He can scratch his arse and smell his finger each and every game.  As, long as he's not particularly embarrassing the school, then all that matters is we're winning.
Smelling his finger - not that embarrassing - "Smells like ... Victory"

Hell, I'd take Duvall as coach if he can be as bad ass ...

https://youtu.be/sBksHaTQCbU
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:13:55 PM by bball purist »

Tha Kid

« Reply #678 on: March 28, 2015, 07:52:29 PM »

I watched two uri games this year. He's a whiney bitch on the sidelines. If he gets hired and doesn't win consistently people will get tired of his act very quickly. It was annoying to watch on tv with no rooting interest in the game.

I've corrected your statement above.  Winning makes everything else unimportant to the fanbase.
"I drink and I know things"

desco80

« Reply #679 on: March 28, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »
Watching Sean Miller and Bo Ryan , cbs showed videos of them at practice earlier in the week...
Can you imagine how embarassing it would be if they ever taped Lavin during one of his practices?    Thank goodness a new day is dawning