What could happen...

• 373 replies
Re: What could happen...
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2015, 12:18:46 AM »
and 5 sweet 16s since 2008. I would kill for that type of success here. I don't care who beats me in the regular season, 5 sweet 16s in 7 years is great success

Is 4 sweet sixteens and 1 elite 8 in 6 years also great success?
depends on the fan base. 

« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2015, 12:24:21 AM »
Hurley might not be great, but he certainly can be, where Lavin has proven he can't and won't be great

Head coaching record
Season    Team    Overall    Conference    Standing    Postseason
UCLA Bruins (Pacific-10 Conference) (1996–2003)
1996–97    UCLA    24–8    15–3    1st    NCAA Elite Eight
1997–98    UCLA    24–9    12–6    3rd    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1998–99    UCLA    22–9    12–6    3rd    NCAA First Round
1999–00    UCLA    21–12    10–8    T–4th    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2000–01    UCLA    23–9    14–4    3rd    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2001–02    UCLA    21–12    11–7    6th    NCAA Sweet Sixteen

Lavin's success at UCLA is about as exciting as Randy Johnson's was in Arizona.

I wasn't trying to excite you.  If I was I would have posted this:

« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2015, 12:37:12 AM »
Hurley might not be great, but he certainly can be, where Lavin has proven he can't and won't be great

Head coaching record
Season    Team    Overall    Conference    Standing    Postseason
UCLA Bruins (Pacific-10 Conference) (1996–2003)
1996–97    UCLA    24–8    15–3    1st    NCAA Elite Eight
1997–98    UCLA    24–9    12–6    3rd    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1998–99    UCLA    22–9    12–6    3rd    NCAA First Round
1999–00    UCLA    21–12    10–8    T–4th    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2000–01    UCLA    23–9    14–4    3rd    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2001–02    UCLA    21–12    11–7    6th    NCAA Sweet Sixteen

Lavin's success at UCLA is about as exciting as Randy Johnson's was in Arizona.

Portugal was 4-2 in wars in the 16th century.

The guy wrote "where Lavin has proven he can't and won't be great".  So, I merely pointed out that in his first head coaching gig Lavin was in fact great.  In his second coaching gig, he has not yet been great but has brought the Johnnies to 2 Ncaa tournaments in 5 years following a 7 year tournament drought for the program.

Same difference as when a guy implies that Phil Greene was only good this season for 3 minutes in December and I point out that he led the conference in 3 point shooting in league games that all took place after December.

If people didn't type out their a$$es so much,  I wouldn't have to disprove the excrement with fact.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:42:09 AM by carmineabbatiello »

dR3w

« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2015, 09:44:50 AM »

The guy wrote "where Lavin has proven he can't and won't be great".  So, I merely pointed out that in his first head coaching gig Lavin was in fact great.  In his second coaching gig, he has not yet been great but has brought the Johnnies to 2 Ncaa tournaments in 5 years following a 7 year tournament drought for the program.

Same difference as when a guy implies that Phil Greene was only good this season for 3 minutes in December and I point out that he led the conference in 3 point shooting in league games that all took place after December.

If people didn't type out their a$$es so much,  I wouldn't have to disprove the excrement with fact.

I think that one could easily argue against your point, based on the fact that Lavin, during his tenure with UCLA had two #1 recruiting classes, and perpetually had a top 5 or top 10 class.  If you have the best college kids in the country at your disposal, and you can't get past a top 16 ranking, then you are not "great".  Now would most schools like to get to the sweet sixteen every year, of course, but great coaches don't fail to meet expectations for 6 years, and get to be considered great.  College's don't dismiss their HC when he is great, unless he continues to embarrass the university.   Lavin, "great recruiter", probably when motivated.  Great coach ... not so much.

I'm sure your opinion will vary.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:45:30 AM by dR3w »

goredmen

« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »
and 5 sweet 16s since 2008. I would kill for that type of success here. I don't care who beats me in the regular season, 5 sweet 16s in 7 years is great success

Is 4 sweet sixteens and 1 elite 8 in 6 years also great success?

Not at UCLA

hnk

« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »
Now it would be.

« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2015, 01:05:28 AM »

I think that one could easily argue against your point, based on the fact that Lavin, during his tenure with UCLA had two #1 recruiting classes, and perpetually had a top 5 or top 10 class.  If you have the best college kids in the country at your disposal, and you can't get past a top 16 ranking, then you are not "great".  Now would most schools like to get to the sweet sixteen every year, of course, but great coaches don't fail to meet expectations for 6 years, and get to be considered great.  College's don't dismiss their HC when he is great, unless he continues to embarrass the university.   Lavin, "great recruiter", probably when motivated.  Great coach ... not so much.

I'm certainly no Crgreen so bear with me.  I don't recall Hollywood's Bruin teams ever being Georgetown,  Unlv or this years Kentucky team.  And to me Trevor Ariza, Jason Kapona and Baron Davis were never Bill Walton, Bill Bradley and Bill Cunningham.  Who are the sure fire can't lose studs he had that I don't remember?

Recruiting strength is subjectively judge.  The incredible post-season success he had in his first gig can not be denied no matter how much he's hated.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:07:07 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2015, 01:18:28 AM »

I'm certainly no Crgreen so bear with me.  I don't recall Hollywood's Bruin teams ever being Georgetown,  Unlv or this years Kentucky team.  And to me Trevor Ariza, Jason Kapona and Baron Davis were never Bill Walton, Bill Bradley and Bill Cunningham.  Who are the sure fire can't lose studs he had that I don't remember?

Recruiting strength is subjectively judge.  The incredible post-season success he had in his first gig can not be denied no matter how much he's hated.
With those stacked line ups, the least amount of games ever lost was 8. That puts the tourney showings into fair balance for me.  You'd think one of those squads over 6 years would have gone 28-4, 29-3, instead of losing 8, 9, 10, 11... But I know cr would rightfully defend Lavs by stating something along the lines of "Lavs teams were notoriously slow starters due to his constant tinkering with the lineup over the first 5-10 games. That accounted for some of those weird upsets early in the season" (Bless cr's basketball soul - I cannot explain it nearly as good, but I recall a discussion like that a few times.)

and another of my thoughts - there had to be 50 head coaches across the US who must have said at least once, "Man, I wish I could have gotten my hands on his team. I could have run the table."  Had to be.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:20:26 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2015, 01:24:22 AM »

With those stacked line ups, the least amount of games ever lost was 8. That puts the tourney showings into fair balance for me.  You'd think one of those squads over 6 years would have gone 28-4, 29-3, instead of losing 8, 9, 10, 11... But I know cr would rightfully defend Lavs by stating something along the lines of "Lavs teams were notoriously slow starters due to his constant tinkering with the lineup over the first 5-10 games. That accounted for some of those weird upsets early in the season" (Bless cr's basketball soul - I cannot explain it nearly as good, but I recall a discussion like that a few times.)

and another of my thoughts - there had to be 50 head coaches across the US who must have said at least once, "Man, I wish I could have gotten my hands on his team. I could have run the table."  Had to be.

Regular season don't mean sh*t. It's all about the March madness.  Everybody knows that.

If anybody points out the "Great" basketball players he had at Ucla that automatically should have brought him to even deeper Ncaa tournament runs...I'll concede the point.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:25:59 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2015, 01:26:08 AM »

If anybody points out the "Great" basketball players he had at Ucla that automatically should have brought him to even deeper Ncaa tournament runs...I'll concede the point.
Won't do that - nothing is guaranteed. However, most coaches with year after year of immense talent, usually would have at least one  or two monster seasons with more regular season wins. especially in the Pac-10(12)  Lavin would even concede it was his and his staff's inexperience that probably prevented that from happening. Now if a Dunlap was his asst, well...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:27:27 AM by bball purist »

goredmen

« Reply #210 on: March 27, 2015, 01:26:57 AM »
Now it would be.

Considering they fired a coach that went to 3 straight final 4s (right after Lavin by the way), I'm gonna say no it wouldn't be

« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2015, 08:21:24 AM »

Regular season don't mean sh*t. It's all about the March madness.  Everybody knows that.

"Regular season means S!#/..." 

C'Mon now. That would mean this season was a complete failure

« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2015, 11:08:58 AM »
So the latest I got is that St. John's is expected to make an announcement today.

In the latest plot twist Lavin out, Mullin in.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2015, 11:16:57 AM »
So the latest I got is that St. John's is expected to make an announcement today.

That would be awesome

mkras99

« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2015, 11:22:57 AM »

That would be awesome

Mullin as next coach would be awesome?

« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2015, 11:26:26 AM »

major major risk. if true, i have a feeling repole is all over this decision.

boo3

« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »
Yes.

« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »

major major risk. if true, i have a feeling repole is all over this decision.

Look at first post in thread.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2015, 11:29:57 AM »
This is bad. How am I going to mock Chris Mullin.

« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »
This is bad. How am I going to mock Chris Mullin.

He is a recovering alcoholic, start there.