What could happen...

• 373 replies
Re: What could happen...
« Reply #280 on: March 27, 2015, 12:52:25 PM »
I'm hearing that St. Johns will have a basketball coach next season. I'm 99% sure. From what I hear, it will be Steve Lavin or somebody else. This is from a very very good source.   

sju89tr

« Reply #281 on: March 27, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »
I'm hearing that St. Johns will have a basketball coach next season. I'm 99% sure. From what I hear, it will be Steve Lavin or somebody else. This is from a very very good source.   

Hahaha

dandy

« Reply #282 on: March 27, 2015, 12:53:30 PM »
this isn't a basketball ball move.  it's about money and PR.  mullin will bring in donors. mullin will bring in PR. 

i'm shocked he's willing to put his legacy on the line.
Is that necessarily a bad thing? In the nonprofit world, the staff makes stuff happen, while the CEO gets press and donors. If he makes smart assistant decisions, he's got the name rec to land us some recruits and increase the program's budget. Maybe he's the catalyst to new facilities?

I'm not saying it's a home run, but he's certainly an indication of swinging for the fences.

« Reply #283 on: March 27, 2015, 12:54:56 PM »
Having your favorite player of all time  being named Head Coach would be quite the birthday present for me.  Lol.

Dink - I'm sure an X and O guy would be part of staff.  Is Al Lobalbo still alive? ( I kid)

Yeah, I still would rather see an extension, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be excited about Mullin.

Happy Birthday Boo!

« Reply #284 on: March 27, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
Having your favorite player of all time  being named Head Coach would be quite the birthday present for me.  Lol.

Dink - I'm sure an X and O guy would be part of staff.  Is Al Lobalbo still alive? ( I kid)

Yeah, I still would rather see an extension, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be excited about Mullin.

Happy Birthday Boo!

crazy idea.  keep lavin and bring mullin to the staff. 

sju89tr

« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2015, 12:56:58 PM »

Happy Birthday Boo!

Mullin is not working for Lavin lol

sju89tr

« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »
Hypothetically speaking who would be a good choice for an X and O assistant coach?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:57:37 PM by sju89tr »

Tha Kid

« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »

Happy Birthday Boo!

Tha Kid, Marillac and WASJU are more likely to be the team's 3 assistants next year than Chris Mullin is to be an ASSISTANT to STEVE LAVIN.  Ha.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2015, 12:58:06 PM »
Gene Keady

sju89tr

« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »
Gene Keady

Gene ain't sticking around without Steve

Foad

« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2015, 12:59:11 PM »

« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »

Actually, I don't particularly have a favorite player of all time.  If I did, then it would be Walter Berry.  I wouldn't want him coaching the Johnnies.   ;)

I'm a bit torn on it, if they decide to hire Mullin, errrr, Mullin.  On the other hand, there will be a part of me that would be excited.  I'm curious about the particular staff mentioned, as well.  They are gonna have to be able to bring in blue-chipper's on a national level.  If we wanna consistently contend on a national level, then that is gonna be the way of getting 'er done.

« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2015, 01:03:26 PM »

Actually, I don't particularly have a favorite player of all time.  If I did, then it would be Walter Berry.  I wouldn't want him coaching the Johnnies.   ;)

I'm a bit torn on it, if they decide to hire Mullin, errrr, Mullin.  On the other hand, there will be a part of me that would be excited.  I'm curious about the particular staff mentioned, as well.  They are gonna have to be able to bring in blue-chipper's on a national level.  If we wanna consistently contend on a national level, then that is gonna be the way of getting 'er done.

I would love Berry to be the next coach.
If kids don 't know who he is just bring tape of his games from 86 season. Of course no one owns a VCR anymore so that might not help.
Infact I would sign on for Straw and Gooden to be the co managers of the Mets

« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2015, 01:03:45 PM »
if lavin is fired today, the way sju operates, we won't see a new coach for at least another week.  we'll find ourselves in  limbo again.

sju89tr

« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »

It would be interesting to see what kind of staff he would hire, he has been exposd to so many different players and coaches during his stay at St Johns then a long run in the NBA as a player and executive   

« Reply #295 on: March 27, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
Hypothetically speaking who would be a good choice for an X and O assistant coach?

Don't know but would like to Werdann and Zendon on board. They both have experience as asst. coaches. I am sure Mullin would have some type of NBA guys he could turn to.

sju89tr

« Reply #296 on: March 27, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
if lavin is fired today, the way sju operates, we won't see a new coach for at least another week.  we'll find ourselves in  limbo again.

I agree, even if they have a deal in place with Mullin or have had cursory talks with Danny or Bobby they will give it a little time

I would be shocked if an official announcement is made before the Final Four   

« Reply #297 on: March 27, 2015, 01:06:19 PM »
Mullin is a great basketball mind and you know he is going to work his tail off if he makes this commitment.  Regardless of age, people know who he is, that he was a great player and has been involved in the NBA for years, and his name is still golden in the tri-state area (and perhaps beyond).

« Reply #298 on: March 27, 2015, 01:06:42 PM »
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
Been told that Steve Lavin meeting with St. John's today. We will see if a decision is made. Lots of misinformation out there.

sju89tr

« Reply #299 on: March 27, 2015, 01:08:04 PM »
Mullin is a great basketball mind and you know he is going to work his tail off if he makes this commitment.  Regardless of age, people know who he is, that he was a great player and has been involved in the NBA for years, and his name is still golden in the tri-state area (and perhaps beyond).

If a kid doesn't know Mullin is a star then the kids parent does. He would get into a lot of final fives for kids and get a home visit with a chance to close the deal.