What could happen...

• 373 replies
Re: What could happen...
« Reply #300 on: March 27, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
if lavin is fired today, the way sju operates, we won't see a new coach for at least another week.  we'll find ourselves in  limbo again.

Other board hinting they already have one. Not the nutjobs either but "respectable" posters

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #301 on: March 27, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »
Is Mullin the only option right now if Lavin is let go? Looks like Bobby Hurley and Archie Miller are signing extensions.

goredmen

« Reply #302 on: March 27, 2015, 01:39:10 PM »
The people concerned about if Mullin could be successful without any head coaching experience have obviously not been following how good of a program Iowa State has become with Fred Hoiberg

gman

« Reply #303 on: March 27, 2015, 01:41:35 PM »
Announcement I'm told should be around 1:30.

Maybe it's 1:30 west coast time. Wouldn't they have to alert the media? No one on Twitter has mentioned a press conference or call.

Poison

« Reply #304 on: March 27, 2015, 01:42:09 PM »
Is Mullin the only option right now if Lavin is let go? Looks like Bobby Hurley and Archie Miller are signing extensions.

People keep saying that St.John's has no options. I heard on the Fan yesterday, who ya gonna get? From the casual fan's POV, I get it. It might even turn out to be to the best course of action, but I don't think it is.

How do we know how the new President would view a change? Who knows what his interests are for the program and the school. I have no proof that I can share here other than conversations I've had, but firing Fran and Jarvis the way he did, scared off a lot of people. Jarvis, yes, deserved to go. But on Christmass Eve? Fran was poking around ar ASU. Why isn't he allowed to do that? They nodded to his begavior as a coach. Did he hit a kid? Did he rape a kid? They treated him like he did.

Let me tell ya, some former Redmen have told me some doozies about Lou. He got angry plenty.

It's too bad that I don't buy Mullin taking the gig. People want New Yorkers, he'd get em. It's not just his name as a player. He's a true NYC bball legend. He was best of his time, and every high school coach knows him or knows all about him.

« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
The people concerned about if Mullin could be successful without any head coaching experience have obviously not been following how good of a program Iowa State has become with Fred Hoiberg

That's a good point, but one can always use other coaches who flamed out without any experience.

« Reply #306 on: March 27, 2015, 01:44:01 PM »
Announcement I'm told should be around 1:30.

Maybe it's 1:30 west coast time. Wouldn't they have to alert the media? No one on Twitter has mentioned a press conference or call.

That's what I heard. 

hnk

« Reply #307 on: March 27, 2015, 01:46:08 PM »
Announcement of what?

« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »

Again as I said for every Fred Hoiberg you get a Clyde Drexler (Houston), Sidney Lowe (NC St) or Eddie Jordan (Rutgers).

I am not saying Chris can't win just like the Hurley's but there is risk, don't pretend there isn't.

If you remember when Monasch fired Norm he said his next hire had to be a coach with experience and specifically a coach who has brought his teams to the NCAA's.  I assume we are not necessarily using that criteria anymore if in indeed Lavin is fired and Chris is hired.

paultzman

« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »

Again as I said for every Fred Hoiberg you get a Clyde Drexler (Houston), Sidney Lowe (NC St) or Eddie Jordan (Rutgers).

I am not saying Chris can't win just like the Hurley's but there is risk, don't pretend there isn't.

If you remember when Monasch fired Norm he said his next hire had to be a coach with experience and specifically a coach who has brought his teams to the NCAA's.  I assume we are not necessarily using that criteria anymore if in indeed Lavin is fired and Chris is hired.
Fair points, always a risk & no "magic  bullet" in this process.

hnk

« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
Paultzman r u expecting some sort of announcement today?

goredmen

« Reply #311 on: March 27, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »

That's right. The concern about Mullin's abilities due to his lack of experience is silly though as it's been proven that former NBA players and front office guys can return to their alma mater and be successful as evidenced by Hoiberg's success. Obviously not every coach that does this is successful nor is any coach promotoed from assistant to head coach, a coach that moves up a conference, or a coach that comes straight from ESPN. Any coach we hire, including Mullin, will have some risk associated with him, but keeping Lavin is a major risk/gamble as well

« Reply #312 on: March 27, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »

Fair points, always a risk & no "magic  bullet" in this process.

Hit / Avon now saying wont be Mullin

boo3

« Reply #313 on: March 27, 2015, 02:08:03 PM »
 If it's not Mullin I'm against it..  They have to have someone lined up after dicking around all week.  A legit coaching candidate...  If they announce a firing and a search committee, well,  might as well throw in the towel on this disaster of a program.

« Reply #314 on: March 27, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »

That's right. The concern about Mullin's abilities due to his lack of experience is silly though as it's been proven that former NBA players and front office guys can return to their alma mater and be successful as evidenced by Hoiberg's success. Obviously not every coach that does this is successful nor is any coach promotoed from assistant to head coach, a coach that moves up a conference, or a coach that comes straight from ESPN. Any coach we hire, including Mullin, will have some risk associated with him, but keeping Lavin is a major risk/gamble as well

Again, you always have to throw out Lavin's name when making your argument.  Fordham never mentioned Lavin. 

It may be a risk to retain Lavin, but it is more of a risk with Mullin.     

It's snowing outdoors.... 

goredmen: I hate to have to go out and shovel my sidewalk.  I wonder if Lavin is shoveling his (sidewalk).  I bet he isn't doing anything (to his sidewalk).

goredmen

« Reply #315 on: March 27, 2015, 02:13:27 PM »

Again, you always have to throw out Lavin's name when making your argument.  Fordham never mentioned Lavin. 

goredmen: I hate to have to go out and shovel my sidewalk.  I wonder if Lavin is shoveling his (sidewalk).  I bet he isn't doing anything (to his sidewalk).

This whole topic is about Lavin and the direction of the program should he be let go. If Norm was still our coach and we were a combined 10-50 over the past 2 seasons nobody would be concerned about Mullin's lack of experience, they would all be in favor of hiring him right away. The only reason people are concerned about Mullin's lack of experience is because they fear that may be what causes him to not be an improvement over Lavin.

And I disagree that Mullin is more of a risk than Lavin. Lavin has done nothing to show me that these next 5 years will be BETTER than these past 5 years which were very mediocre

« Reply #316 on: March 27, 2015, 02:13:42 PM »
If it's not Mullin I'm against it..

I wouldn't have a particular problem with Mullin, if the staff mentioned was brought in. 

If they announce a firing and a search committee, well,  might as well throw in the towel on this disaster of a program.

This is what concerns me.  We could end up with Mas or Pat Kennedy. 

Foad

« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2015, 02:14:07 PM »

« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »

This whole topic is about Lavin and the direction of the program should he be let go. If Norm was still our coach and we were a combined 10-50 over the past 2 seasons nobody would be concerned about Mullin's lack of experience, they would all be in favor of hiring him right away. The only reason people are concerned about Mullin's lack of experience is because they fear that may be what causes him to not be an improvement over Lavin.

And I disagree that Mullin is more of a risk than Lavin. Lavin has done nothing to show me that these next 5 years will be BETTER than these past 5 years which were very mediocre

You always find a way to bring Lavin into the conversation.  There was a reason boo said to this to you the other day....

Lavin is in your head brother..  You need to take a walk around the block.. You sound disturbed, honestly.

Did Lavin step on your shoe and didn't say, "excuse me?"   

hnk

« Reply #319 on: March 27, 2015, 02:19:01 PM »
Never