What could happen...

• 373 replies
Re: What could happen...
« Reply #360 on: March 27, 2015, 06:04:49 PM »
Everything I said in post 1 still holds true.

Think Monasch survives, Dave?

« Reply #361 on: March 27, 2015, 06:06:50 PM »

No clue. Don't care either.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #362 on: March 27, 2015, 06:09:21 PM »
You would still bet on them extending Lavin?

Serious question, is there a current college coach out there who is attainable and better than Danny hurley?

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #363 on: March 27, 2015, 06:10:06 PM »

Really, is the AD position overrated or in this case the right coach is the key?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #364 on: March 27, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »
You would still bet on them extending Lavin?

Serious question, is there a current college coach out there who is attainable and better than Danny hurley?

For this job, no.

« Reply #365 on: March 27, 2015, 06:12:08 PM »

Really, is the AD position overrated or in this case the right coach is the key?

I just really have no knowledge. My contacts are basketball people, not St. John's people.

redslope

« Reply #366 on: March 27, 2015, 06:38:44 PM »

AD is responsible for more than BB; he has all sports under him.  He should be a marketer among his many tasks including compliance.  In the case of our AD all he has Marketed is ManTan.  He screwed up relationship with Bradley over golf decision and look at the sorry state of the soccor program--people complained about Lavin--The same and more can be said about Masur.  The Lacross team is going backwards.  He got lucky that coach Joe stayed as women's BB is one of the few successes

TheVig

« Reply #367 on: March 27, 2015, 06:57:17 PM »
Dave,
In this thread you are saying Danny Hurley is best option but in the Next Steps thread you allude to SJU being very talented next season. Can you elaborate? Does this say Danny is better long term option but Mullin will somehow manage to field a competitive team next year?

Edit* I see you are saying Danny is best current college coach. Anyways, would love to hear more in depth.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:58:08 PM by TheVig »

Marillac

« Reply #368 on: March 27, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:21:31 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #369 on: March 27, 2015, 11:08:32 PM »
I'm happy for those that wanted it badly.  Must say I'm surprised.

TONYD3

« Reply #370 on: March 28, 2015, 09:58:33 AM »
I wanted Lavin back. Not becuse I loved him or even liked him. Not at all upset that he is out. Still wish they brought him back for one more year. I think next year we could have been decent. Maybe a bubble team. I would have preferred to fire him then. At least the new coach would have something to work with. Now we are looking at a scary season, maybe a scary few seasons.
Hoping for mullin. We are in a tough spot. He looks like the only Possible home run.
I think either Hurley or masiello coukd be better choices, but I don't want to wait 3 years just to get back to where were a month ago.

nudginator59

« Reply #371 on: March 28, 2015, 10:07:57 AM »
I wanted Lavin back. Not becuse I loved him or even liked him. Not at all upset that he is out. Still wish they brought him back for one more year. I think next year we could have been decent. Maybe a bubble team. I would have preferred to fire him then. At least the new coach would have something to work with. Now we are looking at a scary season, maybe a scary few seasons.
Hoping for mullin. We are in a tough spot. He looks like the only Possible home run.
I think either Hurley or masiello coukd be better choices, but I don't want to wait 3 years just to get back to where were a month ago.

the NYP had it the best when hey said he was building teams not a program...If it takes a few years to (hopefully not) to build a stable program where SJU isn't  scrambling to find players to field a team will be better overall.
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #372 on: March 28, 2015, 11:27:09 AM »
I wanted Lavin back. Not because I loved him or even liked him. Not at all upset that he is out. Still wish they brought him back for one more year. I think next year we could have been decent. Maybe a bubble team. I would have preferred to fire him then. At least the new coach would have something to work with. Now we are looking at a scary season, maybe a scary few seasons.

the NYP had it the best when hey said he was building teams not a program...If it takes a few years to (hopefully not) to build a stable program where SJU isn't  scrambling to find players to field a team will be better overall.
You are right. But I like basketball. The last few years have been fun. Much more red at the Georgetown game. No Hoya Saxa chants. Building a program is definitely the way to go. Just seems like we are starting from zero when we didn't have to.

nudginator59

« Reply #373 on: March 28, 2015, 02:38:08 PM »
I wanted Lavin back. Not because I loved him or even liked him. Not at all upset that he is out. Still wish they brought him back for one more year. I think next year we could have been decent. Maybe a bubble team. I would have preferred to fire him then. At least the new coach would have something to work with. Now we are looking at a scary season, maybe a scary few seasons.

You are right. But I like basketball. The last few years have been fun. Much more red at the Georgetown game. No Hoya Saxa chants. Building a program is definitely the way to go. Just seems like we are starting from zero when we didn't have to.

Tony, complelyely agree...Here's hoping they get it right this time, and even if they do suck there is progress that you can definitely see.
Cougar O' Malley