Next steps

• 244 replies
Re: Next steps
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »
I'm doing an about face too, to some extent, because I'm hearing that Mullin is likely to take the job if offered.  I was dreading a Bobby Hurley or Massielo type of hire.  I am skeptical, but would be at least a bit hopeful, if it was Danny Hurley---who has actually won on a consistent basis---instead of his brother, who hasn't proven anything yet.

Btw, if Mullin comes, Terrence might be on the bench with him.

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 07:39:16 PM »
I'm doing an about face too, to some extent, because I'm hearing that Mullin is likely to take the job if offered.  I was dreading a Bobby Hurley or Massielo type of hire.  I am skeptical, but would be at least a bit hopeful, if it was Danny Hurley---who has actually won on a consistent basis---instead of his brother, who hasn't proven anything yet.

And within two years unless he has the team in the final four he'll start receiving advice as how to win from the posters
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:40:21 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 07:48:14 PM »
Would they ever spend the money to bring in Jim Calhoun and what would he cost?  He wants back in, multiple national championships, great national recruiter, northeast/ Big East guy.  Perfect fit in my book, and much better than any names mentioned, even if he is from UConn.

jr49

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 07:54:07 PM »
This should move along pretty quickly. Could have a new coach announced sometime early next week. I expect it to be the all time leading scorer.

In my humble opinion, that would be a major fail.
If coach M can recruit a point guard and a couple of bigs who can play he will be fine. I think he knows the right kind of people to surround himself with. That's major.

Tha Kid

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 08:12:39 PM »

I have no inside info or anything, but I'd bet that Terrence is one of Chris' assistants if Chris comes on board. 
"I drink and I know things"

TONYD3

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:07 PM »
Is Terrence a plus or minus?

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 08:25:24 PM »

Big plus from what I'm being told.

Pete88

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 08:28:51 PM »

In what sense?

NYCoffey

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »
What is Terrence doing now? I googled him and nothing came up. Just curious.

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »
What is Terrence doing now? I googled him and nothing came up. Just curious.

Job in the city

cjfish

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:26 PM »
Guys if Mullin comes here, we have to think he is smart enough to play the game and do what he has to do to win.  He has instant credibility in the tri-state area, especially with the NY High School community.  And he also has credibility nationally, because everyone knows who he is.  His connections and time in the NBA is a major plus to sell kids.  And he will bring in at least one, if not more, really good recruiter, because he is smart enough to do that.  Chris Mullin loves NY and loves this school too much to not give 1000000%.  Will there be a learning curve?  Of course!  Is there a risk as between him and say Danny Hurley (who I also think deserves serious consideration), of course!  But Chris is not taking this job to go about it half-arsed.

I have no inside information whatsoever on this.  But based on what I've read about Mullin, and knowing how fond he is of SJU and New York City, logic dictates that he would only accept this job if he was supremely confident that he would succeed, and that he would fight like hell and do everything possible to ensure that happens

Echoing my sentiments......Mullin will succeed.....He will need recruiters but any major recruit is certain to be impressed by a Hall of Famer who played on the greatest team ever assembled.  Mullin's hiring would be a media event and dramatically increase media exposure in the future.... which will impress recruits as well.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 08:46:25 PM »
Guys if Mullin comes here, we have to think he is smart enough to play the game and do what he has to do to win.  He has instant credibility in the tri-state area, especially with the NY High School community.  And he also has credibility nationally, because everyone knows who he is.  His connections and time in the NBA is a major plus to sell kids.  And he will bring in at least one, if not more, really good recruiter, because he is smart enough to do that.  Chris Mullin loves NY and loves this school too much to not give 1000000%.  Will there be a learning curve?  Of course!  Is there a risk as between him and say Danny Hurley (who I also think deserves serious consideration), of course!  But Chris is not taking this job to go about it half-arsed.

I have no inside information whatsoever on this.  But based on what I've read about Mullin, and knowing how fond he is of SJU and New York City, logic dictates that he would only accept this job if he was supremely confident that he would succeed, and that he would fight like hell and do everything possible to ensure that happens

Echoing my sentiments......Mullin will succeed.....He will need recruiters but any major recruit is certain to be impressed by a Hall of Famer who played on the greatest team ever assembled.  Mullin's hiring would be a media event and dramatically increase media exposure in the future.... which will impress recruits as well.

Mrs. Lavin was the Queen of Queens, it's hard to beat that in terms of media darlings.  :-)
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »

Poison

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 09:00:53 PM »

I have no inside information whatsoever on this.  But based on what I've read about Mullin, and knowing how fond he is of SJU and New York City, logic dictates that he would only accept this job if he was supremely confident that he would succeed, and that he would fight like hell and do everything possible to ensure that happens.

We have no idea what he'll do here. Could be great. Could be an utter disaster.

Pete88

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 09:05:55 PM »

In what sense?
why?

Why what?  just trying to understand what you mean by big plus, nothing malicious about it.

redslope

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 09:06:58 PM »
What coach in his right mind wants this job.  Anyone who accepts the job is crazy.  Look at the last 6 coaches we have had since Louie--every one of them has left in disgrace.  This is all due to the Curse of the Redmen because the name change occurred in Mahoney's tenure after his successful 1992-93 season.  Seriously the job has been a coach's graveyard, even for one who was to 2 NIT's and 2 NCAA's after years of abject failure. 

Poison

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 09:12:35 PM »
What coach in his right mind wants this job.  Anyone who accepts the job is crazy.  Look at the last 6 coaches we have had since Louie--every one of them has left in disgrace.  This is all due to the Curse of the Redmen because the name change occurred in Mahoney's tenure after his successful 1992-93 season.  Seriously the job has been a coach's graveyard, even for one who was to 2 NIT's and 2 NCAA's after years of abject failure. 

For this coaching search, they should watch the Seinfeld episode where George does the opposite of everything he is normally inclined to do.

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »

For this coaching search, they should watch the Seinfeld episode where George does the opposite of everything he is normally inclined to do.
Works every time :)

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 09:26:15 PM »

Works every time :)

The Summer of George

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:44 PM »

In what sense?

Just passing on what I was told by someone who would know.  I don't know anything about his coaching acumen.