1) mullin coach
2) slice comes to recruit
3) Cal to NBA, ---> Briscoe here
4) diamond stone popped for UoM , Papa here
5) Diallo here
6)rerecruit sampson
7) CO stays with jordan

some of those even make us competitive next season

LOL exactly what I was thinking...but in my version Briscoe and Slice bring another UK commit--you know they will all be up for grabs when Cal leaves. 

Re: Next steps
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2015, 11:28:28 PM »
I'm sorry but if mullin and ewing are up for same job, how could you even interview ewing

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2015, 12:04:33 AM »
I'm sorry but if mullin and ewing are up for same job, how could you even interview ewing

I think  Danny Hurley to be named head coach shortly

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2015, 12:18:15 AM »
that would make me very happy, and get down to work rebuilding this roster

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2015, 12:38:47 AM »

Boring. I thought you were going to ride the Cluess train for some good kicks.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2015, 12:47:41 AM »
ultimate situation, where chips fall perfectly
1) mullin coach
5) Diallo here
6)rerecruit sampson
7) CO stays with jordan

LOL exactly what I was thinking...but in my version Briscoe and Slice bring another UK commit--you know they will all be up for grabs when Cal leaves. 

Cal is not leaving.

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2015, 12:54:36 AM »

Boring. I thought you were going to ride the Cluess train for some good kicks.

Haha nah i don't even think he gets looked out

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2015, 05:05:11 AM »
This should move along pretty quickly. Could have a new coach announced sometime early next week. I expect it to be the all time leading scorer.

In my humble opinion, that would be a major fail.

If things go down how I think they will then St. John's will be very talented next season.

Im confused. You were in the extend Lavin camp for stability reasons this whole time but you seem awfully optimistic about the direction of the program just hours after it was announced Lavin is out. Hmm....

Dave is just reporting what he is hearing. Doesn't mean he' has changed his tune.  But I too would like some clarity on what the heck Dave is talking about.

For him to now say that St. John's will be very talented next year and to tweet "St. John’s will be in a very good situation next season. Will reload in a NY minute. #sjubb" sure sounds like he changed his tune to me. I don't expect him to elaborate though

are you surprised?  so many vague posts that can mean almost anything

It definitely means what it says. I don't think I've been vague.

I've laid out possible scenarios for everything regarding coaching situation and scooped the news of announcement. It's no coincidence that at some point mainstream media has started to say same things about coaching candidates today than what was posted here days ago. Additionally being right today could mean you're wrong tomorrow. That is the business of sports.

I can care less about reporting news anymore. Not the business I'm in and I'm simply just trying to share information with community here.
Appreciate the info Dave keep it coming. I think you were pretty clear in that you think it will be Mullin here.

What gave it away? The fact that I said it? lol

I think we all got the part where you think Mullin will be coach.  It was the other part--us being really good next year--that was cryptic.  Really good on the court? On the sidelines? Both? 
I think I've pieced it together with the help of others.

I kinda think that he means results on the court??? hmmm

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2015, 07:20:36 AM »
Well, another domino just got pushed down - Diamond Stone just committed to Terps. Awesome news.  Anyone up for some Papa Gianni's today to go with their beer?

MCNPA

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2015, 07:57:29 AM »
I can't see Mullin being a disaster because he knows waaay too much about the finer points of the game.  He's still a guy that spends hours in the gym, so I can't envision him not instilling amazing practice habits to his players.  Not all great players end up being great coaches, but I think Mullin has the skills necessary by far. 

The key for him is obtaining good staff members to go out and recruit.  It also helps that he stayed in the game and has experience in NBA front offices.  He's high profile, and bleeds SJU red.  It's pretty much a no lose from all perspectives because we still haven't gotten past mediocrity since he has been here.

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2015, 08:58:05 AM »
I can't see Mullin being a disaster because he knows waaay too much about the finer points of the game.  He's still a guy that spends hours in the gym, so I can't envision him not instilling amazing practice habits to his players.  Not all great players end up being great coaches, but I think Mullin has the skills necessary by far. 

The key for him is obtaining good staff members to go out and recruit.  It also helps that he stayed in the game and has experience in NBA front offices.  He's high profile, and bleeds SJU red.  It's pretty much a no lose from all perspectives because we still haven't gotten past mediocrity since he has been here.

I do like Dan Hurley a lot, but I agree with you MCNPA.  Yes, the fact that he's never coached before does really concern me.  But this is a St. John's guy who has been successful at every level in his career.  Fantastic player, hired as a GM, been asked multiple times to become a head coach in the NBA.  Plus, he genuinely loves this school which goes a long way.

Add that to the fact that fans young and old would be behind him and I think it makes total sense from their perspective.

Poison

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2015, 09:06:53 AM »

Clyde Drexler and Danny Manning know quite a bit, too.

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2015, 09:11:54 AM »
Even från fraschilla said last night it should be mullin, he said being back a person who bleeds red and white

Johnny23

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »
As competitive and accomplished as Mullin is, I can only think that he'd take this job if he really believed he could be successful here.

Yes, the lack of coaching is a knock against him. This is where Danny Hurley gets the nod. However, if Mullin's smart, he surrounds himself with a top recruiter and X's & O's asst on his staff.

Also, I'm sure that Mullin wants to get a feel for the administration at SJU and make sure they're fully committed to fielding a top 25 level hoops program, financially as well as making sure kids can qualify.

I don't believe that the admin that Lavin was working under for most of his tenure was truly committed to supporting a big time, national level college hoops team. The past admin. seemed like they were fine with a competitive team who was still considered major in the NY area, but not nationally.

Under Mullin, the admin's vision and support must be much more wide reaching and they have to think way bigger in terms of financial backing if they want this program to be a legit top 25 team annually.

Poison

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2015, 09:24:45 AM »
1) mullin coach
5) Diallo here
6)rerecruit sampson
7) CO stays with jordan

Cal is not leaving.

We'll see. Things change. The Lakers haven't made an offer yet. Maybe he's had of redneckville, and he'd like to live in a real city again?

Gumby

« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2015, 09:33:33 AM »
Surrounding yourself with a good coaching staff does not equate always to having a successful Program.  I thought we all believed that Coach Lavin had a pretty good group of assistants.  How did that work out?

I think Coach Lavin became complacent the past few years.

Both Mullin and Hurley would bring different pluses and minuses to our Program.  However, I would rather go with Coach Hurley, who has the experience and spirit to continue to be a successful coach.

desco80

« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »
1) mullin coach
5) Diallo here
6)rerecruit sampson
7) CO stays with jordan

Cal is not leaving.

Heard calhoun on the radio Friday, he said John C definately goes back the NBA at some point, it's just a matter of the right situation coming up.

« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2015, 09:52:39 AM »

Clyde Drexler and Danny Manning know quite a bit, too.
Your starting already..

goredmen

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2015, 09:53:44 AM »
1) mullin coach
5) Diallo here
6)rerecruit sampson
7) CO stays with jordan

Cal is not leaving.

Heard calhoun on the radio Friday, he said John C definately goes back the NBA at some point, it's just a matter of the right situation coming up.

If they go undefeated this year then he really has nothing left to accomplish at the college level and might jump to the NBA immediately. Then Shaka gets the UK job and dominos fall across the country

Tha Kid

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2015, 10:52:41 AM »
1) mullin coach
5) Diallo here
6)rerecruit sampson
7) CO stays with jordan

Cal is not leaving.

If they go undefeated this year then he really has nothing left to accomplish at the college level and might jump to the NBA immediately. Then Shaka gets the UK job and dominos fall across the country

If Shaka gets the UK job won't be too many dominos as then you replace VCU and then prob a lower mid major (unless an assistant takes the job - Capel again perhaps? And then no more dominos)

Now if jay wright or another coach from a big conference goes to Kentucky, could be tons of dominos.
"I drink and I know things"