goredmen

Re: Next steps
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2015, 09:48:50 AM »
Dan Hurley and he will bring top local assistant with him

I hope you're right again

sju89tr

« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »
Mas may be the best long term. But I think he would be the worst short term and that includes Lavin.

SJU his dream job--just the same thing FF said and he was shopping himself by the end of year 2.  Mas is not the answer; his non conference and reg season records should be looked at.  Danny, while not my choice, is heads above him in coaching experience.

Bottom line is get a HC ASAP as we need to get into the recruiting arena NOW or next year will be a disaster.

We never really got a straight story on why Fran was fired. I've always believed that Harrington saw the success he was having, and didn't want the program to get too much attention, so he leaked some ridiculous BS complaint about Fran pulling his pants down to show Felipe and Zendon what ball looked like because apparently they didn't know what they were.

Actually, I think both Felipe and Z knew what balls were because they knew who Allen Iverson, Ray Allen, Kerry Kittles and John Wallace were.

Fran was let go because he showed no loyalty, that was from the horses's mouth
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:17:38 AM by sju89tr »

pmg911

« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »
Anything to the pitino angle? Feels like someone making a story to grab some headlines
http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/college/rubin-st-john-eye-louisville-coach-rick-pitino-article-1.2165956

No one would accuse Roger Rubin of that right?

I think Pitino is trying to talk up someone from his coaching tree

I disagree there…

Never underestimate Coach P's love of all things NYC. Including his wife's desire to be back in New York area.

Could be the "last challenge" of his distinguished career and his monster ego would love every second of making SJU truly great again. I think its unlikely but not impossible, especially when you have a billionaire backer of the program pushing you to do it.

The one thing with Coach Pitino at this point, it would not be how much SJU could pay him. He is an extremely wealthy and successful person away from basketball. Taking this job would be to show everyone he thinks he is the best in the business.

Foad

« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2015, 11:13:38 AM »
Anything to the pitino angle? Feels like someone making a story to grab some headlines
http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/college/rubin-st-john-eye-louisville-coach-rick-pitino-article-1.2165956

I disagree there…

Never underestimate Coach P's love of all things NYC. Including his wife's desire to be back in New York area.

Could be the "last challenge" of his distinguished career and his monster ego would love every second of making SJU truly great again. I think its unlikely but not impossible, especially when you have a billionaire backer of the program pushing you to do it.

The one thing with Coach Pitino at this point, it would not be how much SJU could pay him. He is an extremely wealthy and successful person away from basketball. Taking this job would be to show everyone he thinks he is the best in the business.

Rick Pitino is a repulsive disgusting abomination of a human being and a tortured little dwarf. But he's also too smart to take this job.

« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2015, 11:28:13 AM »

I disagree there…

Good post PMG. Repole will dig deep for this

TONYD3

« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
The guy left the knicks right before they were going to get good to go to kentucky. Now he is going to leave Louisville which is also a great college town to come to Union Turnpike. He either really likes bagels or some of you are crazy.

« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2015, 11:43:41 AM »
The guy left the knicks right before they were going to get good to go to kentucky. Now he is going to leave Louisville which is also a great college town to come to Union Turnpike. He either really likes bagels or some of you are crazy.
  Hey never discredit the allure of a  New York bagel when you aren't in NY anymore

« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »

I disagree there…

What is digging deep? I'm not sure he's as big of a donator as people make him out to be. Not to say he isn't a fan or a donator but his contributions may not be as legendary as the internet claims.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »

I disagree there…

What is digging deep? I'm not sure he's as big of a donator as people make him out to be. Not to say he isn't a fan or a donator but his contributions may not be as legendary as the internet claims.

To get his horse loving buddy, I'd say pretty deep pockets

« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2015, 12:00:23 PM »

I disagree there…

In total he hasn't contributed even 500k over the past 6 years. Even if he doubled that what is getting done with that?

« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »

I disagree there…

In total he hasn't contributed even 500k over the past 6 years. Even if he doubled that what is getting done with that?

Maybe he wasn't a big Lavin fan

« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2015, 12:06:50 PM »

I disagree there…

So I guess he was really not a big Norm Roberts fan because it was even less before Lavin.

« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2015, 12:09:34 PM »

I disagree there…

So I guess he was really not a big Norm Roberts fan because it was even less before Lavin.

Wouldn't think so

« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2015, 12:11:52 PM »
Question for Dave, if it is hurley and a top area assistant as some are saying, do you still see at John's being very talented next year as you stated earlier?

Moose

« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2015, 12:21:49 PM »

I disagree there…

I thought your connections were to the basketball community?

With information like that you would need connections within SJU.
Remember who broke the Slice news

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2015, 01:02:26 PM »
  Hey never discredit the allure of a  New York bagel when you aren't in NY anymore

Don't forget pizza...Very true...Especially when you can easily afford the NYC lifestyle and love it...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2015, 01:05:35 PM »

Don't forget pizza...Very true...Especially when you can easily afford the NYC lifestyle and love it...

Or maybe he doesn't want to play 2nd fiddle in the state of Kentucky

TONYD3

« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2015, 01:06:35 PM »
The pizza around campus is not very good.

nudginator59

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2015, 01:06:48 PM »

I disagree there…

Wouldn't think so

Or he wasn't a AD or prior President fan...It would be dangerous for SJU to have only one donor that totally invested in the program. That is a whole hell of a lot of influence. More donors need to become involved in the program as well. SJU needs to show that they are committed as well.
Cougar O' Malley

nudginator59

« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »
The pizza around campus is not very good.

Better then Kentucky's...
Cougar O' Malley