Next steps

• 244 replies
Re: Next steps
« Reply #200 on: April 16, 2015, 09:35:28 PM »
I tend to look at things through rose colored glasses too.  But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.  True, he hired two great recruiters, but they haven't, as of yet, yielded any blue chip talent that would elevate the team to  last year's heights.  When you look at what we lost from last year's team, it is almost all of the production.  Sima is an imprtant piece, and I'm glad we got him, but he is not going to put up many points.  Who is going to fill the production of Harrison, Greene, Pointer and Branch?  As of right now, nobody.  Williams is the only recruit that seems capable of scoring on a regular basis.  I will be waiting and  watching the recruitment of Sampson, Diallo, and a point guard (hopefully Ricky Tarrant). They still need two or three blue chippers to be competitive in conference next year. One has to realize all the things that Pointer did on the court inccluding guarding people taller then him or shorter, quicker guards.  The rebounding, the shot blocking, and the point production, especially down the stretch.
Sensible post. Mullin & staff are building the foundation year one. I'm not allowing my excitement to distort the big picture.

People are excited for next year and years to come but I don't think anyone thinks with the team we hve right now that we will be very good next year. If we do land some of the big recruits then yes we can get excited but the staff inherited besides Obepka and Jordan a depleted roster. Anything these do in this spring period I consider a bonus. Can't expect them to work miracles but they are working there asses off to make us good starting next year.

Hello again.

I'm very optimistic.  I know ppl are like ugh when you mention Lavin but the team seems in much better shape for next year since Mullin came on.

Obekpa & Jordan might be used better, available more w/a wiser staff.  It was bad basketball last year, for the most part.  5-7 minute stretches w/o scoring & I know that's CBB to an extent, but I'm confident that whatever guys we get will be smarter & will have a better plan.

We had talented guards but no real point guard.  That will be addressed.  We had no bigs, no real post presence, & Mullin seems to be addressing that also.

And I don't know if we'll be great, but we were considered good last year, and without doing projections on who will do what, it doesn't seem like being better than last year is unreachable.

OPTIMISM!!!!!!

TONYD3

« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2015, 09:42:14 PM »
If Lavin, Jordan and obekpa were back I thought we would be ok. I am hoping for good. Let's get Sampson.

« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2015, 09:56:16 PM »
If Lavin, Jordan and obekpa were back I thought we would be ok. I am hoping for good. Let's get Sampson.

A lot of good players are available.  We can be good, I agree.  Sampson would be nice but there's other guys too.

« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2015, 05:55:15 PM »
It's somewhat mind-boggling to me that some people believe this team won't be any good if we land our prime targets. Was I the only one who continuously saw players go over 34 minutes with about a rotation of 6 players? It seems like this is the first time in some time that we actually have depth...front court depth especially.

Land Sampson/Diallo and the chances of an NCAA bid seems very reasonable.

My only concern is lack of PG depth. After Jordan, what do you have? Not sold on Doughty taking that role right away if he arrives on campus. Sampson has mentioned that he has PG ability, but that remains to be seen at the College level.

desco80

« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2015, 09:57:30 PM »
It's somewhat mind-boggling to me that some people believe this team won't be any good if we land our prime targets. Was I the only one who continuously saw players go over 34 minutes with about a rotation of 6 players? It seems like this is the first time in some time that we actually have depth...front court depth especially.

My only concern is lack of PG depth. After Jordan, what do you have? Not sold on Doughty taking that role right away if he arrives on campus. Sampson has mentioned that he has PG ability, but that remains to be seen at the College level.

We had a ton of depth in 2014.

Poison

« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2015, 10:06:37 PM »

How could anyone be sold on a player that hasn't played yet?

« Reply #206 on: April 17, 2015, 10:17:40 PM »

6 man rotations and the casual Balamou/AA sightings is not depth.

« Reply #207 on: April 17, 2015, 10:19:56 PM »

How could anyone be sold on a player that hasn't played yet?

Sold on who? If you're speaking in regards to Diallo/Sampson, then yes, I'm sold they can contribute and that's without them stepping foot in a College game yet. I don't need to see them play a College game to know that quite honestly.

« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2015, 12:10:24 AM »

Might be talking about 2013-14  when we had Jakarr, Orlando (Two NBA Players) Gods'Gift. That team was rather deep in the frontcourt, Dom played 20? mins  a game....

desco80

« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2015, 09:50:24 AM »

Might be talking about 2013-14  when we had Jakarr, Orlando (Two NBA Players) Gods'Gift. That team was rather deep in the frontcourt, Dom played 20? mins  a game....

Yes, thank you.    That's what I was referring to.
Much more depth in the front court.   Same guard rotations.
Plus the two shooters.

sju89tr

« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »

Plus the two shooters.

That squad underachieved big time, it was Lav's best team

Lavin never settled on a rotation but really should have gone with Branch-Dee-Greene-Sampson-Sanchez as his starters and Jordan-Obekpa-Gift off the bench and used Hooper Marco Felix when he needed them Jones was a redshirt   

« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2015, 10:11:22 AM »

Plus the two shooters.

That squad underachieved big time, it was Lav's best team

Lavin never settled on a rotation but really should have gone with Branch-Dee-Greene-Sampson-Sanchez as his starters and Jordan-Obekpa-Gift off the bench and used Hooper Marco Felix when he needed them Jones was a redshirt   

Pointer?

sju89tr

« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »
Yes off the bench LOL

Gift would have been the 9th guy

« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2015, 10:36:37 AM »
Yes off the bench LOL

Don't worry. Lavin forgot about Pointer for 3 years

« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »
That was the best talent Lavin had. He should have had that team win a game or two in the NCAA tourney.

sju89tr

« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »
Yes off the bench LOL

Don't worry. Lavin forgot about Pointer for 3 years

That is embarrassing for me LOL

I was focusing on the starting lineup and felt that Jordan and Obekpa messed things up for that group

As we saw last year the ball needed to b in Branch's hands more and I give Jamal a lot of credit for our making the NCAA last year. When he played our offense was at it's best

cjfish

« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »
Sanchez year was among the worst coaching jobs I have ever seen.  Sampson is in the NBA, Sanchez a decent D league player and Achiewa a more than adequate reserve.  Pointer not used properly as this year showed, no one gets that good in a year.   With the guard corps the team should have been  top 20.  Front court depth with CO as well and a great group of guards.  TO me that year was the highlight of Lavin's negative legacy.

sju89tr

« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2015, 11:06:30 AM »
Sanchez year was among the worst coaching jobs I have ever seen.  Sampson is in the NBA, Sanchez a decent D league player and Achiewa a more than adequate reserve.  Pointer not used properly as this year showed, no one gets that good in a year.   With the guard corps the team should have been  top 20.  Front court depth with CO as well and a great group of guards.  TO me that year was the highlight of Lavin's negative legacy.

We will look back and always wonder how that squad didn't make the NCAA's

Flip flopped the starting lineup all year
Didn't use Sanchez to expose his size and quickness
Branch needed to run the point
Jordan CO and Pointer should have been the main reserves along with Gift   

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2015, 11:07:45 AM »

The weak games that were scheduled as well...Very few games to make a statement. The schedule should have been stronger ....Maybe this is Monday morning quarterbacking but I think it was a mistake for not recognizing that he BEC would be perceived as weaker and that just doing well in the conference would not guarantee a bid.
Cougar O' Malley

Wods317

« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »
For a next steps thread we certainly are discussing Lavin a lot. Start a new thread if needed but this is a thread about the future of the program so let's keep it like that. Next step is Diallo and Sampson and it's happening today, huge day.