Next steps

• 244 replies

sju89tr

Re: Next steps
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »
Sanchez year was among the worst coaching jobs I have ever seen.  Sampson is in the NBA, Sanchez a decent D league player and Achiewa a more than adequate reserve.  Pointer not used properly as this year showed, no one gets that good in a year.   With the guard corps the team should have been  top 20.  Front court depth with CO as well and a great group of guards.  TO me that year was the highlight of Lavin's negative legacy.

The weak games that were scheduled as well...Very few games to make a statement. The schedule should have been stronger ....Maybe this is Monday morning quarterbacking but I think it was a mistake for not recognizing that he BEC would be perceived as weaker and that just doing well in the conference would not guarantee a bid.

Very true

That brings me to think about the schedule going forward

I think we need to get UCONN back for home and home as well as keep the SYR home and home
I am kind of tired of the Duke series. I wouldn't mind doing something with UNC, Kansas, Arizona, or UK instead
I would like to do something with Florida
I think Mullin may do a home and home with a Bay Area school like Cal or Stanford as he has roots there. I don't think he will worry about So Cal schools like Lavin did. 
If you are going to do some cupcakes then just keep it local - Wagner, Hofstra, Manhattan (not a cupcake), Fordham, St Francis, or some Jersey or CT schools. We don't need to be playing cupcakes from the midwest for example.     

« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2015, 11:46:08 AM »
Agree with you on playing mid majors from the tri-state area. I would like UCONN, Cuse and Duke annually, plus whatever conference tourneys we get in.

« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2015, 11:53:11 AM »
If the marketing plan is to acquire student national and even international don't you need to recruit  and schedule nationally?

sju89tr

« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2015, 12:00:06 PM »
If the marketing plan is to acquire student national and even international don't you need to recruit  and schedule nationally?

Yes schedule nationally but do it against good competition

« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2015, 12:06:59 PM »
I want Kentucky,

Johnny23

« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2015, 12:17:13 PM »
UConn and Syracuse should definitely be every year games. Then they should look at getting a Kentucky, Arizona, Gonzaga on the schedule. There should also be a marquee Big 10 matchup in there against OSU, Wisky, Michigan or MSU.

« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2015, 12:34:23 PM »
Sanchez year was among the worst coaching jobs I have ever seen.  Sampson is in the NBA, Sanchez a decent D league player and Achiewa a more than adequate reserve.  Pointer not used properly as this year showed, no one gets that good in a year.   With the guard corps the team should have been  top 20.  Front court depth with CO as well and a great group of guards.  TO me that year was the highlight of Lavin's negative legacy.

The weak games that were scheduled as well...Very few games to make a statement. The schedule should have been stronger ....Maybe this is Monday morning quarterbacking but I think it was a mistake for not recognizing that he BEC would be perceived as weaker and that just doing well in the conference would not guarantee a bid.

Very true

That brings me to think about the schedule going forward

I think we need to get UCONN back for home and home as well as keep the SYR home and home
I am kind of tired of the Duke series. I wouldn't mind doing something with UNC, Kansas, Arizona, or UK instead
I would like to do something with Florida
I think Mullin may do a home and home with a Bay Area school like Cal or Stanford as he has roots there. I don't think he will worry about So Cal schools like Lavin did. 
If you are going to do some cupcakes then just keep it local - Wagner, Hofstra, Manhattan (not a cupcake), Fordham, St Francis, or some Jersey or CT schools. We don't need to be playing cupcakes from the midwest for example.   
I wonder if MD would be a good home and home too.

« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2015, 12:50:56 PM »
I wouldn't mind maryland home and home. Cuse I wanted originally but now I don't care if we don't play them anymore. Uconn I'd rather see rot in that crappy basketball conference of theirs unless we were going to play them on campus instead of throwing a bone to their fans at msg

Kentucky,Florida,Arizona,Duke,North Caroina etc I'd be very much in favor of
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:53:09 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »
I wouldn't mind maryland home and home. Cuse I wanted originally but now I don't care if we don't play them anymore. Uconn I'd rather see rot in that crappy basketball conference of theirs unless we were going to play them on campus instead of throwing a bone to their fans at msg

Kentucky,Florida,Arizona etc I'd be very much in favor of
True- I'd like on campus for UConn as well.

boo3

« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »
Duke, SYR, Big 10 team ( mich?) , fla ( Sec)

TONYD3

« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
We can spite ourselves. Playing Big time games at the garden is great for us. UCONN is big time. Our out of conference games have to draw fans .

MCNPA

« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
OOC games that draw fans to the Garden is imperative.  That means we definitely need Cuse, Duke, UK, KU types.  Those fans travel well.  I'd add maybe a Michigan, Louisville, Ohio state.  I'm on the fence about uconn because I hate that conference, but they do draw fans. Drawing fans is what pays the bills and we win ultimately when we draw well.

« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2015, 02:35:38 PM »
We have to schedule and play every game possible that opens the second level at the garden.

sju89tr

« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2015, 03:40:25 PM »
UCONN is a rival they need to be on the schedule as does Syracuse
An opponent every year from all of the big % conferences is  must

« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2015, 04:00:31 PM »
UConn and Syracuse should definitely be every year games. Then they should look at getting a Kentucky, Arizona, Gonzaga on the schedule. There should also be a marquee Big 10 matchup in there against OSU, Wisky, Michigan or MSU.

I thought i heard that there is a BE/B10 challenge next year, though i could be wrong

derk

« Reply #235 on: April 18, 2015, 04:42:07 PM »
Screw Pukon, Syracuse,Sh.and Rutgers. Who needs them.Why give them any more exposure in the ny area. There are plenty of schools we can replace them with.

« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
Screw Pukon, Syracuse,Sh.and Rutgers. Who needs them.Why give them any more exposure in the ny area. There are plenty of schools we can replace them with.

I think it's good for St John's to play those teams and to let the local kids we are all fighting for see us beat the crap out of those teams.  I would definitely get Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, et c on the schedule.  Probably Pitt.  Let the recruits from NJ/NY especially see us succeed against Syracuse, UConn, & Rutgers.

It's also good for basketball traditions we have going.  But like, Syracuse, leasing out the cabs in Manhattan to fly orange banners & the whole, "NYC's team" thing...we now have the ability to prevent that shit from happening and to take back our turf & we should not shy away from tough head to heads.

LoganK

« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »

I thought i heard that there is a BE/B10 challenge next year, though i could be wrong
I think you're right.  I remember seeing a tweet or something about a Villanova/Nebraska matchup as part of the BE/B1G challenge

Mike

« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2015, 07:09:45 PM »
OOC games that draw fans to the Garden is imperative.  That means we definitely need Cuse, Duke, UK, KU types.  Those fans travel well.  I'd add maybe a Michigan, Louisville, Ohio state.  I'm on the fence about uconn because I hate that conference, but they do draw fans. Drawing fans is what pays the bills and we win ultimately when we draw well.

Louisville turnout for the tournament in Syracuse was a joke. NC State had more fans, Michigan ST fans dominated the tournament.

derk

« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »

I think it's good for St John's to play those teams and to let the local kids we are all fighting for see us beat the crap out of those teams.  I would definitely get Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, et c on the schedule.  Probably Pitt.  Let the recruits from NJ/NY especially see us succeed against Syracuse, UConn, & Rutgers.

It's also good for basketball traditions we have going.  But like, Syracuse, leasing out the cabs in Manhattan to fly orange banners & the whole, "NYC's team" thing...we now have the ability to prevent that shit from happening and to take back our turf & we should not shy away from tough head to heads.
we dont need them now. They are replaceable. Let them try and replace us at another "Garden" somewhere.