Would you take Obekpa back? Doesn't matter He is Back!

• 110 replies
Would you take Obekpa back? Doesn't matter He is Back!
« on: March 29, 2015, 07:44:20 PM »
just curious of your thoughts. I'm sure some of you may have strong opinions but please be respectful and civil.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

hnk

Re: Would you take Obekpa back?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 07:45:43 PM »
Yes.   No brainer.  Kids (youngin's make mistakes so do older people)  Should be Coach's and teammates decision though.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:46:43 PM by hnk »

goredmen

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 07:45:55 PM »
Nope. Time for Mullin to create his own culture for the SJU basketball program. Guys like Obekpa should not have a place in that culture

hnk

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »
Let Mullin decide.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 07:48:24 PM »
I'd see where his head is first. If he seems genuinely sorry, yes. On a short leash. Keep tracks on him and if he messes up, dismiss him before the season even starts. He's already gotten chances, this should be the last straw.

boo3

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 07:51:25 PM »
Only if he can sit across the table from Mullin , look him in the eyes and dedicate himself 100%.  Anything less, let him go on his merry way. 

It's not the pot thing, but a pattern of behavior.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »
Yes but on short leash. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 07:55:47 PM »
Of course you take him back. He's the only proven post defender on this team and one of the premiere shot blockers in the country.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 07:57:18 PM »
As upset as I was, I do believe Chris might respond in a magnificent way to a new coach.  As much as Coach tried to get through to him, it seemed to be 1 step forward, two back in the beginning, to two steps forward, one back lately. If the new coach can channel Chris' focus, there's a chance. He can mature some more.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 07:58:05 PM »
Has CO even apologized for this? I don't recall reading about one.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 08:02:45 PM »
i think CO would be a different person with a different staff and his buddy Diallo there

Tha Kid

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »
Nope. Time for Mullin to create his own culture for the SJU basketball program. Guys like Obekpa should not have a place in that culture

So our fearless leader who battled alcohol addiction and won can't make his own judgment as to whether obekpa is strong enough and has the right mindset to come back a diff man, battle whatever demons he has (not suggesting drugs could just be inner demons) and become a success story?

How can you say Mullins path can't include obekpa?

As HNK said, let Mullin decide. We are talkin about a kid who was dumb and got caught w pot in his system.  Not a sexual assaulter or something very bad like that.

In Mullin we Trust.
"I drink and I know things"

jsk

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 08:41:37 PM »
Only two people can make the decision and it needs to be unanimous!

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 08:52:16 PM »
yes.  mistakes happen.  and his came at the worst time. if he was your son you'd want another chance. he has one last year to graduate. let him finish his sju career on a high note.

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 08:54:06 PM »
yes.  mistakes happen.  and his came at the worst time. if he was your son you'd want another chance. he has one last year to graduate. let him finish his sju career on a high note.

"High" note! Poor choice of words lol
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:54:32 PM by stjohnnie75 »

Poison

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 08:54:11 PM »
Did anyone vote not to take Lamont Hamilton back?

Obekpa was guilty of being selfish and stupid, not of being a bad person, or kid for that matter. Many people have done just as much as Obekpa, and I actually think it's safe to say that there isn't a college student who hasn't.

He can play on my team. Personally, I don't give a shit what he did. I'd take him back if he punch Lavin in the face while wearing brass knuckles. Just say your sorry, and get ready for your senior year.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:00:07 PM by Poison »

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 08:55:02 PM »
Yes because I think Mullin can relate his own personal experiences to him and hopefully he learns from his mistake. ! mistake going further and off the team

redslope

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 08:56:51 PM »
Chris has made his own mistakes and faced/corrected them.  CO should sit down with him, learn some life's lessons and then jointly decide if they can work together

dandy

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 09:05:03 PM »
yes, if he recognized how he hurt the team and apologized.

goredmen

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 09:07:58 PM »
I think basketball is the last thing that needs to be considered when making this decision. Mullin is going to try to create a culture and identity here and if he feels Obekpa won't fit into that culture then he shouldn't be back. If Mullin feels he will get his act together and will fit into that culture/identity then bring him back. Need to send a clear message right away about what this program is going to be moving forward