Would you take Obekpa back? Doesn't matter He is Back!

• 110 replies

TONYD3

Re: Would you take Obekpa back?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 09:15:14 PM »
This is not CYO. We need him, he gets another chance. Wish we could tell him to fxck off.

goredmen

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 09:20:52 PM »
This is not CYO. We need him, he gets another chance. Wish we could tell him to fxck off.

Would he really be the missing piece to the puzzle next year? I have a feeling the new staff is going to rebuild really quick to the point where we won't necessarily need him to be successful or we are going to take some lumps next year with or without him

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 09:27:50 PM »
just curious of your thoughts. I'm sure some of you may have strong opinions but please be respectful and civil.

yes

Tha Kid

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 09:34:33 PM »

Would he really be the missing piece to the puzzle next year? I have a feeling the new staff is going to rebuild really quick to the point where we won't necessarily need him to be successful or we are going to take some lumps next year with or without him

If Mullin thinks he can reach Obekpa, don't you want to see what Obekpa looks like with a coach who may get him more focused?
"I drink and I know things"

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2015, 09:38:34 PM »

If Mullin thinks he can reach Obekpa, don't you want to see what Obekpa looks like with a coach who may get him more focused?

Yes, I think if Mullin truly believes that Obekpa will fit into the new culture/identity that he is trying to create then I won't be against it at all

TONYD3

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »

very happy that I will never stick for Lavin again. Not lavin's fault Obekpa is a dxck.

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 09:43:44 PM »
Diallo relationship
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »
I'll let Mullin decide for me.

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 10:02:01 PM »
Yes.  While I hate that he screwed us, he has to live with much more than just being booted.  He has to live with our exit in the tournament and possibly costing Lavin his job.  If he wants to return and work, he should talk to the new coach and im ok with that.  In fact if he wants to make something of himself basketball-wise, he should return and try to have a great year. It looks better than him transferring, wussing out and avoiding the situation.  It's favorable for him as well as the team to re-commit to winning and getting better.  It wasn't a huge offense.  It's the timing that made it really bad.

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 10:05:15 PM »
Is he still in school?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:05:38 PM by Marco Baldi »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »
Yes.  While I hate that he screwed us, he has to live with much more than just being booted.  He has to live with our exit in the tournament and possibly costing Lavin his job.  If he wants to return and work, he should talk to the new coach and im ok with that.  In fact if he wants to make something of himself basketball-wise, he should return and try to have a great year. It looks better than him transferring, wussing out and avoiding the situation.  It's favorable for him as well as the team to re-commit to winning and getting better.  It wasn't a huge offense.  It's the timing that made it really bad.

Honestly I don't he cares about anybody but himself. At this point he can find a route he will take it. If he does want to come back and Mullin accepts him, then you got to trust that CO will have a different attitude.
Cougar O' Malley

paultzman

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »
Let Mullin decide on this. He'll know what's best.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2015, 10:22:38 PM »

If he wants to make it in the NBA, he should be taking 10 bong hits a day.

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2015, 11:17:37 PM »

So people aren't allowed their own opinion?
Dave asked: " would you take Obekpa back", not "do you think Mullin should take him back."

I definitely would. Remember 2 years ago CO refusing to go into the PC game.
After that game there's no way Chris would have been here this year.
I don't care how great a shot blocker chris is.

LoganK

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2015, 11:32:46 PM »

So people aren't allowed their own opinion?
Dave asked: " would you take Obekpa back", not "do you think Mullin should take him back."

I definitely would. Remember 2 years ago CO refusing to go into the PC game.
After that game there's no way Chris would have been here this year.
I don't care how great a shot blocker chris is.
I think I share Paultzman's opinion (not sure what part of what he said implies no one else is allowed an opinion).  The new coach will be able to get a more clear view of what Obekpa wants, and what is best for the program - I think that's why they get paid so much.  So, my opinion, is that the new coach should be capable of making this decision, since I am not close enough to the situation to make an educated decision.

cjfish

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2015, 11:36:36 PM »
pull his scholarship, pay for his cab to JFK

cjfish

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2015, 11:48:54 PM »
I tried to keep it short but......this kid let his teammates, coach and university down, probably cost Lavin his job.....team went from a team that nobody wanted to play to an impossibly undersized tem with no chance in the torney.  Cant believe most of you guys want him back or would even consider it as an option.  His history is pathetic.  Ask yourself, what would Bobby Knight do with this kid?  Or any other coach.  Nice guys finish last and Lavin was entirely too forgiving.   

lihoop

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2015, 11:50:07 PM »
Nope. Obekpa = N. Pelle Part Deux

Poison

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2015, 12:13:38 AM »
Nope. Obekpa = N. Pelle Part Deux

Don't you think that's a little extreme? Obekpa played 3 years here, and we saw in the first round of the NCAA tournament just how much we missed him. He F'd up w smoking. No one can deny that. But his behavior during games, albeit childish wasn't any different than the crap Dom has been pulling since his freshman year. And by the time he became a senior, even he grew up.

To deny Obekpa the chance to finish growing up at St.John's just because he smoked a joint is awful. No fan, coach, university or dispicable organization should have the right to take that away from him.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2015, 12:18:12 AM »
pull his scholarship, pay for his cab to JFK

So, if we should deport Chris Obekpa for smoking a j, what should we have done to Father Harrington for stealing money from the University and intentionally sabotaging the basketball program for his own personal gain?