Would you take Obekpa back? Doesn't matter He is Back!

• 110 replies
Re: Would you take Obekpa back?
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2015, 12:38:14 AM »
pull his scholarship, pay for his cab to JFK

So, if we should deport Chris Obekpa for smoking a j, what should we have done to Father Harrington for stealing money from the University and intentionally sabotaging the basketball program for his own personal gain?

Yeah Poison, he never did refuse to go in vs. Pc last year huh? That was in march also (which was also an elimination game.)
Like it or not, he f'ed us the last 2 years.   
Is anyone bigger then the team?  Bet ya Chris wouldn't have played this past year, if he refused Mullin.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 12:44:14 AM »

So, if we should deport Chris Obekpa for smoking a j, what should we have done to Father Harrington for stealing money from the University and intentionally sabotaging the basketball program for his own personal gain?

Yeah Poison, he never did refuse to go in vs. Pc last year huh? That was in march also (which was also an elimination game.)
Like it or not, he f'ed us the last 2 years.   
Is anyone bigger then the team?  Bet ya Chris wouldn't have played this past year, if he refused Mullin.

I can't judge Obekpa based on message boards rumors from last year. His behavior, along with Harrison's and Jordan's have been an embarrassment to the program. Obekpa was the latest player to screw the program, so now we want him gone. Two years ago, have the board was happy to tell Harrison to get out. Had that happened, St.John's wouldn't have the CBI last year or this year.

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 12:56:30 AM »
Yes, of course.  He's a kid and did something nearly all of us have done at least once in our lives. 

He's been very immature his whole career, but Steve wasn't exactly a disciplinarian.  Mullin will demand respect.

Also, who better than Mullin to give him a second chance and help him overcome it and grow as a person?  Mullin had to the same with a substance problem in his past. 

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 12:58:20 AM »
I saw a few say second chance. How many has he already received?

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 01:01:01 AM »

Wasn't he deported to Aruba, at least for a few weeks a year?

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 01:26:12 AM »

Lets see, last year he refused to go in, so this year was a 2nd chance. Now we should give him a 3r?d chance?

TONYD3

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 08:12:51 AM »
I don't want to give another chance. I want us to have a power forward. We should let him play becuse we need him.

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »
Truth is he's probably had 25 from middle school up until now. The question is more if Chris2 is better than one Chris.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:10:21 AM by bball purist »

cjfish

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2015, 09:28:57 AM »

Has nothing to do with smoking weed. Smoke all the weed you want after the season with my blessing, it is harmless.  It has to do with a pattern, starting with his refusal to go in a game which is unpardonable and continuing thru his lack of self control on the court and culminating with letting everyone down this year, particularly the seniors, his teammates.  What recruit would want to play with a guy who opts out of a game and lets down his teammates at the most crucial  point of their career.  He is a cancer and must be removed.

Foad

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
Has nothing to do with smoking weed. Smoke all the weed you want after the season with my blessing, it is harmless.  It has to do with a pattern, starting with his refusal to go in a game which is unpardonable and continuing thru his lack of self control on the court and culminating with letting everyone down this year, particularly the seniors, his teammates.  What recruit would want to play with a guy who opts out of a game and lets down his teammates at the most crucial  point of their career.  He is a cancer and must be removed.

It's everything. It's the shorts, and the finger wagging, and the woofing, and the cheap shots, and the attempted murder, and especially the insane inappropriate grinning. I'm frankly pretty convinced he's a sociopath. That said, Marvin Barnes was a sociopath. So was Artest. Rodman. Calvin Murphy. There's a long list.

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
1. Refusing to enter the game last year.
2. De-committing from the program last off season. Remember Lavin had to re-recruit Obekpa and Greene back to the team for this past season.
3. Testing positive for weed in March. His second University offence. This would have been much worse if he tested positive at the NCAAs. A University suspension is two weeks, an NCAA suspension would have been a year.
4. At times, illogical behavior on the court. Illogical elbow swinging, technicals.

If he can't commit to get serious for the next twelve months, the next coach is going to have to think moving forward without Obekpa.

Poison

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 10:21:42 AM »
2. De-committing from the program last off season. Remember Lavin had to re-recruit Obekpa and Greene back to the team for this past season.
3. Testing positive for weed in March. His second University offence. This would have been much worse if he tested positive at the NCAAs. A University suspension is two weeks, an NCAA suspension would have been a year.
4. At times, illogical behavior on the court. Illogical elbow swinging, technicals.

If he can't commit to get serious for the next twelve months, the next coach is going to have to think moving forward without Obekpa.

Other than on message boards where is there more than rumor regarding Obekpa refusing to enter a game?

desco80

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2015, 10:27:59 AM »

Other than on message boards where is there more than rumor regarding Obekpa refusing to enter a game?

I could see it with my own eyes.  It happened.
I couldn't hear what they were saying, but it definitely happened.

TONYD3

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »
I have sat behind the bench at plenty of games . Very rarely do I hear anything of substance. I Don't believe anyone in the stands heard anything at a big east game with the crowd that was there.

desco80

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »
Keep him or let him go, I can see both sides of this argument.   I'll have no problem with whatever Mullin decides to do.

Any students on here know if Chris is still going to class?   That would at least tell us if that door is still open

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2015, 10:52:56 AM »
If I was Mullin, I would sit down with CO and his former coaches at OSNA (handlers?) and tell them that I'm giving CO one last chance. Not because he is a good basketball player but because he has a chance to get a free education. He would be on a very short leash and the smallest #$%^ up he can watch the team from the stands.

This would kill two birds with one stone. CO gets a second chance and keep a relationship with the people at OSNA and their pipeline.

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2015, 12:29:34 PM »
Smoke all the weed you want after the season with my blessing, it is harmless.   

Doesn't it lead to the harder stuff?

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »
Marvin Barnes was a sociopath. So was Artest. Rodman. Calvin Murphy. 

What did Calvin Murphy do besides hitting free throws?

sju89tr

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »
He should stay, I am sure the staff would hev significant rules for him

I would have to accept them, his options are not the greatest at this point

He can only HELP HIMSELF by having a great senior season   

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2015, 12:36:03 PM »
Hes a young man who has made mistakes.  He should be given another chance, but he should be made aware that he has multiple strikes.  He of all people should realize what a guy like Mullin could do for his future prospects.