Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2015, 01:49:23 PM »
There may have been a time when it seemed like Baldi was just a pot stirrer, but he has been right on everything the last few weeks, so I think we should give him some deference.  He has me scared now.  If there is someone out there who can definitively tell us Baldi is freaking out necessarily, I'd love to hear from them...

SJU79 said last night this is a done deal. And he is far more in the know than Baldi. But, I admit it is strange no official announcement has been made.

Supposed Rothstein said announcement on Wednesday. IF it's done, why wait?

Tha Kid

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »
There may have been a time when it seemed like Baldi was just a pot stirrer, but he has been right on everything the last few weeks, so I think we should give him some deference.  He has me scared now.  If there is someone out there who can definitively tell us Baldi is freaking out necessarily, I'd love to hear from them...

Seems unlikely they'd leave the rumors out there is there was a snag.

What if there was interest on both sides but St. John's isn't ponying up the $$$ that Mullin assumed would be there?  That's what I'm worried about.  And that's based on 0 inside info, just deductive reasoning.

That said, I could also see them simply waiting until Tues/Weds for official announcement so its the sole major focus in the sports world.  Today is still elite 8 recap.
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2015, 01:52:19 PM »

SJU79 said last night this is a done deal. And he is far more in the know than Baldi. But, I admit it is strange no official announcement has been made.

The same reason we waited until a Friday during NCAA tourney re: Lavin.  Better timing.  We wanted less focus on Lavin story, now we want a lot of focus on this story.  That's what I've been assuming til you scared me...

boo3

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »
 School is closed Thurs- Monday for Easter.. thats why JR thought Wed...

He was flying from the west coast this morning...  He probably hasn't landed yet.. think about it?   Get to the school later this afternoon, lawyer nonsense, Sign the deal.   Make a statement about a presser Wed..   Not time to panic. 

Foad

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2015, 02:02:01 PM »

What if there was interest on both sides but St. John's isn't ponying up the $$$ that Mullin assumed would be there?  That's what I'm worried about.  And that's based on 0 inside info, just deductive reasoning.

That said, I could also see them simply waiting until Tues/Weds for official announcement so its the sole major focus in the sports world.  Today is still elite 8 recap.

It'd be a lot of egg to wipe off their face. And then have to come back with Pete Gillen or something. I figured they were trying to get as close as possible to the resurrection.

Tha Kid

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2015, 02:05:42 PM »

It'd be a lot of egg to wipe off their face. And then have to come back with Pete Gillen or something. I figured they were trying to get as close as possible to the resurrection.

If this was any other school in the country I'd agree with you, but this is St. John's.   C'mon man, you are already soft - stay critical old FUN at least until the presser!  Doesn't feel right.  What do you think of Duke's chance in the Final Four? give me something that's normal man!!!

sju89tr

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »
There is also the chance that they want to at least get one assistant in the fold before the announcement to have everyone take a big breathe that this inexperienced coach has help.

The story was leaked to Rothstein for a reason, it ain't falling through

sju89tr

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2015, 02:36:04 PM »
 Randy Peterson, rpeterson@dmreg.com 12:42 p.m. CDT March 30, 2015

Could Matt Abdelmassih be heading home?

Abdelmassih is an original on Fred Hoiberg's Iowa State basketball staff. New York newspapers have linked the Brooklyn native with Chris Mullin, who is expected to be St. John's next basketball coach. Abdelmassih, 30, is a 2007 St. John's graduate.

Abdelmassih is Hoiberg's lead recruiter, largely responsible for bringing such players as Royce White, Jameel McKay, Abdel Nader, Dustin Hogue and DeAndre Kane to Iowa State.

NY DAILY NEWS
First job for Chris Mullin would be to pick assistants

He also was instrumental in the Cyclones getting Oregon State transfer Hallice Cooke, Georgios Tsalmpouris of Greece, Deonte Burton and Bryce Dejean-Jones.

One of his current recruiting targets is Cheick Diallo, a five-star player who currently plays at a New York prep school.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:36:47 PM by sju89tr »

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
If this isn't finalized by today, I'm going to start to wonder
i'm glad you're excited about it.  Worrying manifested from anticipation - good stuff.

I spoke to my dad 4 times this week, but held off talking about the Mullin talk.  My dad loves watching the guys play, but views the inner workings from a distance.

I talked to him last night and he was really excited.  That's a good sign that an even keeled, life long SJ's fan was getting pumped up.

paultzman

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2015, 02:44:06 PM »
If this isn't finalized by today, I'm going to start to wonder

Not to worry

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2015, 02:44:27 PM »
Couple of thing to piggy back off of Ted.

1)Starting on Thursday 4/2 thru next Thursday 4/9 is the traditional Dead Period in recruiting around the Final 4.  No visits either in-homes or campus for that period.  Everyone will be in Indy anyway.

2)Then starts a busy couple of weeks in terms of recruiting in April.  April 10 thru 12 is an Evaluation Period allowing Coaches on the road at AAU events.  Get a start on 2016 and 17.  Then two weeks later same thing, 4/24 thru 4/26.  These dates were added a few years ago as a compromise to allow coaches to atend AAU events in April (traditionally they were not allowed at AAU events until July) and in turn reduced the number of days in July that they are allowed on the road.  These dates are sandwiched by a Recruiting Period of 4/17 thru 4/22 where visits on campus and off campus and recruiting off campus (except for AAU events) are allowed.

That is a big 3 weeks where Mullin and staff can lock up some 2015 late kids and get a head start on 2016 and 17 kids.  Got to get his ducks in a row (meaning staff) but he has a few days since we are about to enter a dead period.

paultzman

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »
Couple of thing to piggy back off of Ted.

1)Starting on Thursday 4/2 thru next Thursday 4/9 is the traditional Dead Period in recruiting around the Final 4.  No visits either in-homes or campus for that period.  Everyone will be in Indy anyway.

2)Then starts a busy couple of weeks in terms of recruiting in April.  April 10 thru 12 is an Evaluation Period allowing Coaches on the road at AAU events.  Get a start on 2016 and 17.  Then two weeks later same thing, 4/24 thru 4/26.  These dates were added a few years ago as a compromise to allow coaches to atend AAU events in April (traditionally they were not allowed at AAU events until July) and in turn reduced the number of days in July that they are allowed on the road.  These dates are sandwiched by a Recruiting Period of 4/17 thru 4/22 where visits on campus and off campus and recruiting off campus (except for AAU events) are allowed.

That is a big 3 weeks where Mullin and staff can lock up some 2015 late kids and get a head start on 2016 and 17 kids.  Got to get his ducks in a row (meaning staff) but he has a few days since we are about to enter a dead period.

Thx, good info Fordham

hnk

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 02:59:08 PM »
When is the April signing period?

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »
When is the April signing period?

4/15 thru 5/20.

hnk

« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2015, 03:12:52 PM »
Thanks.....w quiet period...no time.

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
Does Mullin get more $ than Lavin per year?

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2015, 03:19:49 PM »
The thing that makes me so excited is that you just know Mullin and a guy like Matt A (if he joins staff) would work tirelessly for this program. No "feels no pressure to succeed" type attitude and taking entire years off from recruiting.

« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2015, 03:24:02 PM »

Announce it on Wednesday. If things fall through just say April Fool's Day!

sju89tr

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2015, 03:25:36 PM »
Does Mullin get more $ than Lavin per year?

I would assume so

I thought the prior staff was making around 3 million combined but I was corrected, it was close to 3.5

I would assume this staff will make at least a million more

Was Wrobel let go too?